Camping in August and September in Dakotas and Minnesota

Kgoodusav

Does anyone have any recommendations for our pending trip up through Colorado, Laramie, Wyoming, South

and North Dakota, and then to Minnesota before heading back to Texas.  I saw 2 posts that mentioned Table Rock

Lake in Missouri and one that mentioned Gooseberry Falls, Minnesota.  Any other ideas or suggestions?

Dallas, Texas

Legacy Elite II  Hull #77

Toyota Tundra Crew Max 1794

• Moderators

In North Dakota, I definitely recommend Teddy Roosevelt National Park. The North Dakota Badlands are beautiful, and lots of wildlife... Bison in our campsite, had to move inside for awhile.

We have camped at Custer State Park in SD to visit Rushmore, Crazy Horse, etc. Clean facilities in our park, and very nice. The wildlife loop drive is wonderful. In the early evening, we saw a lot..bison, fox, sheep...

Don't know which route you're taking, but Mitchell SD has a nice little city campground on Lake Mitchell. Facilities are older, but clean. Some sites are lake view, and it's very reasonable as a stopover spot, and you can tour the historic Corn Palace ...

The flatlands of the Dakotas have their own special beauty. Hope you have a great trip.

Sherry

IMG_20160517_203752013.thumb.jpg.421c82675f63e33eb0492737667b4867.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Just a few quick Thoughts & stops, I would suggest doing Roosevelt National Park North Dakota, The trading post on the north west corner of the North Park section, also you can do the Pitch Fork Fondue in Medora good food and great time, Stay a night or so at Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park  just south of Bismarck.

IMG_5641.thumb.jpg.69efca6435ab5cc6ea0f345b7ce14056.jpg

IMG_5421.thumb.jpg.fe23ba1259e6117b0887447b7048a7e4.jpg

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

• Moderators

How far east and north are you thinking about in Minnesota? It's a big, beautiful state, and the state campgrounds are mostly wonderful. Many of the small towns also have free or almost free cgs near the city park or fairgrounds, too.

If you have the time, the bluff country of southeast Minnesota is beautiful.. bluffs, caves, rivers for fishing and watersports, bike trails... Lanesboro is one of my faves. Tiny (population 700 or so), artsy, outdoorsy... on the Root River, with lots of bike trails.

We've camped along the Mississippi from Wisconsin and Minnesota down through Iowa to Missouri. Lots of great Corps of Engineer campgrounds . September is a great time. Weather is usually still warmish, fewer bugs, and campgrounds are less populated, as the kids are back in school.Blackhawk coe is one of my favorites... Watching the river traffic go by.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

In South Dakota, there is a tourist trap (sort of interesting) named Wall Drug. It is along I-90.  Might be worth a visit if you have never been there, but I am using it as a location marker.  A few miles east of Wall is Highway 240. Maybe six miles off I-90 on 240 is an entrance to the Badlands NP. Just before you get to the park..maybe a half mile..is a dirt/rock road into public lands (Bureau of Land Management). If you get to the park entrance, turn around and take the first right into the BLM land. A short drive along that road brings you to the actual "wall" that the town and tourist trap are named after. There is plenty of easy camping along the top of the wall, either North or South from the road that brought you in. This is boondocking, no nothing except an incredible view and great cost (free).

Badland-Panorama.jpg.3365d09a94adc5e984d1b3c9b3fd0612.jpg

• Thanks 2

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS

2016 Ford F150 3.5 EB, max tow (20,900  miles pulling Ollie since Sept 2016)

• Moderator+
...This is boondocking, no nothing except an incredible view and great cost (free).

It won't get any better than this.

As a side note, read up on the town of Wall SD and Wall Drug.  I was there MANY years ago.  It really is a working pharmacy (or, at least, it was then.)  History of this area is pretty interesting

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Good information.  We plan to cut thru at Fargo and up to Voyageur NP and over to the Boundary Waters and then down along Lake Superior heading back to Texas. I have waited too late in my planning to get prime locations.  Maybe September reservations will be easier.

Any ideas or suggestions on how best to keep my dog cool while boondocking when he cant go on hikes and in the National Parks?

Dallas, Texas

Legacy Elite II  Hull #77

Toyota Tundra Crew Max 1794

Well since you will be heading into Wisconsin I would like to add just a couple more possibilities in Chippewa Falls do the Leinenkugels Brewery tour has a great time not sure if you partake and go up into Door County just above Greeen Bay beautiful area and do a few days in Milwaukee again brewery tours etc we stayed at the Fair Grounds right in the middle and was good for being in the middle of a city. Well have fun planning and enjoy the people were great in these areas. Safe travels. Thanks GaryIMG_1234.jpg.d04edc8134a8920af7f39860b2953d92.jpg

IMG_5376.thumb.jpg.b92d766d9d70c1332c6930d96562c97f.jpg

• Thanks 2

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg