TPMS to use or not to use

gowheretowed

• Moderators

We got the TST TPMS and have used it now for about 20K miles. I like knowing the pressure and temperature of my tires while traveling, especially in the summer heat. Today, while driving on some back highways in west Texas with temperatures approaching 100, I was monitoring my tires closely.  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I am also considering purchasing some kind of TPMS. I would like to know while we are rolling if there is a problem with any of the tires. Also, I can't seem to manually check the tires without letting some air (nitrogen) escape. I found this system on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Bellacorp-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System/dp/B00ZAIKLHE/ref=pd_sbs_263_20?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00ZAIKLHE&pd_rd_r=VEC7513BNEZ4BE7B3JQD&pd_rd_w=4Eo3D&pd_rd_wg=EoEPN&psc=1&refRID=VEC7513BNEZ4BE7B3JQD

It receives good reviews (more than four stars) and is less expensive than others with similar ratings. Anyone tried the Bellacorp Tire Pressure Monitoring System?

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

I bought the TireTraker TT500 four tire system directly from the maker, due to very good reviews and their lifetime warranty. Originally I wanted to stay clear of serviceable batteries, but I began to see their value. You just install new button cells and orings once a year. They are cheap. You should try to not blast the sensors directly with a pressure washer.

I did not need to install their signal booster, tho I bought it just in case. It was $20 extra. The system worked fine with my long Ram 3500 Quad Cab short bed with fiberglass cap, as well as my Land Cruiser. I really really really like seeing both pressures and temperatures, and it is easy to change settings and alarm thresholds. I did order one extra sensor, plus a service kit that includes O rings and batteries. This way if one fails on a trip I can replace it with no down time.

The only thing I do not care for is the aluminum trim around the display. I found the reflection in my windshield to be very annoying, so I masked off the front and back and painted the top of the trim flat black. Problem solved. The holder itself is stout and dandy, and I use it sometimes to hold my phone. You can just see the TT display in this pic, in the bottom corner of the windshield.

IMG_5240.thumb.jpg.17ed8b2b0786332e8eb9a1ae13f38fa0.jpg

Also I removed the sensor covers and engraved numbers on top so that I could ID the units when removed and in storage, and to help me remember where to put them when I rotate the tires.

https://tiretraker.com

So far so good, I do recommend these and would buy again. I do suggest that you balance all wheels BEFORE installing them. The weight of the sensor is tiny, but you will be swapping them from wheel to wheel, when you rotate, and it is better if the tires are balanced independently of the sensor installation. The tires do not come balanced at delivery ;(

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I bought the Tireminder Smart TPMS since I didn’t want to deal with another display in the truck. I can’t say how well it works since it isn’t installed, but setup was a breeze and it gets good reviews.

I hope it works well, I know Blutooth has improved in the last couple of years, but I still have really bad memories of past debacles. This system relies on both a BT connection to a booster, in back, and also a BT connection in front, in your TV. I did not want to deal with possible double BT connectivity and "forgetting" issues.

Hopefully all that is history and the system is reliable, but that is the reason I went with a stand alone display. Plus I wanted to be able to use my phone for other stuff while visually monitoring the numbers.... not just relying on the phone app to wake up and send an alert.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I was debating whether to install the sensors before balancing.  Oliver is taking the same path as the rest of most other trailer manufacturers .  I'm from the old school of "If it rotates, balance it.  Now to find the TST TPMS I bought a few years ago.  It's here somewhere. :)

Brad  Santa Fe, NM

• Moderator+

I bit the bullet today and ordered the Truck System Technologies model 507. Some of our members have successfully used this system for several years and many miles.  As most of us do, we tend to travel long distances during our travels and this afford us additional peace of mind. This system uses replaceable CR1632 batteries that are readily available most anywhere (think Walmart) and will monitor up to 22 tires (The only use I can imagine for this would be if 5 of us were traveling in tandem, we could use a single readout.)

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

We also have a TST system, the 510, now about 9 or 10 years old. I just discovered a failed replacement sensor. I called TST, verified that it was still under the 3 year warranty. Jim in technical support faxed me an RMA form to inclde in my package. I will pay only one way shipping ($3.75), and receive a rebuilt sensor in a few days.

I have been so pleased with TST customer service over the years. I wouldn't look at another brand.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I recently replaced my original TPMS with an EEZ tire unit.  My old system still works and I would be happy to give it to anyone at this year's Owner's Rally for the price of a beer.  So, if you are sitting on the fence or are just curious as to how these things work, you certainly can't beat the price!

Bill

edit:  the old TPMS has been spoken for - if this changes for any reason I will let it be know at the Rally.

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I use the Dill TPMS system. It uses the same type of “in tire” sensors that my Touareg has and the monitor is small and unobtrusive. Monitors tire pressure and temperature. I towed without a TPMS system for a couple of years without any problems, but I think its a good investment.

• Thanks 1

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map