Texas Best Camping Spot

JWalmsley

• Administrators

Adorned with beautiful landscapes, such as the Palo Duro Canyon and Guadalupe Mountains National Park, and offering some of the most spectacular beauties such as the Wichita Falls, Lake Travis and Padre Island National Seashore, Texas is a...

Read More

Facebook post: See post

• Thanks 6

Full Stack Developer/Marketing @ Oliver Companies

Oliver Forums Guidelines & Rules

Thanks for posting. I do want to comment that "best camping spots" are not always the same as "best places to visit". Not everyone has the same requirements and desires for camping. My "best" is certainly way different from those who want to pay for a spot to plug in all the time on an asphalt slab and play golf.

Texas has some very cool stuff but there are hardly any free public lands other than National and State Parks. It's pretty much all private and has limited access, or none at all. For those campers who avoid those types of campgrounds, like me, that really limits my options. If you like to really explore the back country, you have to drive out of the state. Or own your own enormous ranch, I guess...

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/public-land-texas-brief-history/

Just saying..... free federal land access really opens up the possibilities. I don't plan to visit Texas, other than en route to somewhere else.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Jason, good info. John's comments bring up the difference between campers and travelers.  We are more on the "traveler" side, going somewhere to see the sites and visit interesting landmarks, parks and historic places. We prefer hook ups, but are not limited to only FHU campgrounds. We spent time out in the desert at Quartzsite and at Joshua Tree NP boondocking as well as other places that were not developed.  Our trailers adapt well to all conditions!  We are going to visit as many National Parks as possible with or without hook ups.

With regards to Texas, the state has a nice network of State Parks, from the lush Caddo Lake SP on the LA border to beach camping at Mustang Island SP near Corpus Christi on the gulf to the second largest US canyon at Palo Duro SP near Amarillo to the high desert at Davis Mountains SP in west Texas and lots of other interesting places in between. Big Bend NP is a great visit as is Guadalupe Mountains NP. We've also stayed at nice COE parks around the state for next to nothing with our senior pass.  The bigness of the state allows for great geographic diversity. Mike

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 3 years later...
  • Moderators

It's not "cheating" to enjoy a campsite, and an amazing park. 

The great thing about our trailers is that we can enjoy a variety of landscapes and access. It's all good.

Ps, you don't have to plug in if you don't want to. We almost never do. And we've found that often, the best campsites are the toughest, and don't have hookups. Perfect for us. 🙂

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Ps, you don't have to plug in if you don't want to. We almost never do. And we've found that often, the best campsites are the toughest, and don't have hookups. Perfect for us. 🙂

The most amazing camping spots we’ve experienced are the ones that are remote with no hook ups.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

On 8/4/2017 at 1:31 AM, John E Davies said:

Thanks for posting. I do want to comment that "best camping spots" are not always the same as "best places to visit". Not everyone has the same requirements and desires for camping. My "best" is certainly way different from those who want to pay for a spot to plug in all the time on an asphalt slab and play golf.

Texas has some very cool stuff but there are hardly any free public lands other than National and State Parks. It's pretty much all private and has limited access, or none at all. For those campers who avoid those types of campgrounds, like me, that really limits my options. If you like to really explore the back country, you have to drive out of the state. Or own your own enormous ranch, I guess...

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/public-land-texas-brief-history/

Just saying..... free federal land access really opens up the possibilities. I don't plan to visit Texas, other than en route to somewhere else.

John Davies

Spokane WA

For a variety of camping choices  . . . . . . . come to Oregon!

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg