Counting days to retire!

USAF_Mike

My name is Mike. I live in San Antonio, TX. I retired from the USAF 6 years ago. I've been all over, but rarely had time to sight see. Last year I had a thought that I was tired of doing the daily grind everyday. Seeing family and friends die young and hadn't live a long life.  I knew I didn't want that to happen to me. Having a military pension and VA, I could survive on that. I'm fortunate to own two houses. So I have enough equity in them to make a decent profit selling them. Purchase a RV and travel North America and enjoy life and not worry about anything. I'm young enough that I can still work if I have to. Maybe work part time to earn some extra cash for stuff. I could travel for 10 years and just be 62. I think in 3 years I'll be ready!

The reason I joined is I just love the Oliver's. I want to boondock and it's seems like a perfect choice. Getting the Oliver II with the 4 batteries and solar, I should be able to stay off grid for a while. I've been lurking for 2 months. I've been back and forth on which travel trailer to get. I don't mind paying for a top notch travel trailer. I also love that the Oliver has great value used. Take care of it and you'll get good money back. Know I need see one in person. I think I need to get with Mike and Carol and see what all the fuss is about.

Mike

Mike Greene

Future Oliver owner // 2006 F350 PSD

• Moderator+

Mike and Carol and Pete too.  They all live in your neck of the woods.  You will not be sorry for any of those decisions.  Retire when you're able and enjoy life.  Buy an Oliver, travel and REALLY enjoy life.  Our style of travel is exactly what you describe.  We wander the country, boondocking, seeing the sights, especially the units of the National Park system, just taking our time. We recently got back from a trip of about 75 nights on the road.  We were only plugged in for 4 of them. Life is good....

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Honestly, you're never to young to retire Mike, I was forced into retirement at 52 myself and now I don't regret it at all. It took 5 years to get to where I actually feel retired and that feeling came shortly after we picked up our new Oliver :)

You will never regret buying one of these trailers.

Reed

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Hi Mike...

Congratulaions on your retirement. We just picked up our Ollie after dreaming & planning for MANY years. We hope you can connect with Mike & Carol or Pete to see one in person.

If you want to learn all you can about an Oliver, please try to attend the 2018 Rally. You will meet some great people and see lots of the options available. Non-owners are always welcome! We went to this year's Rally & ended up ordering our Elite II earlier than we had planned on doing SO.

Clair & Kathy Reed - plus our travel companion: Emma

2017 Legacy Elite II - Hull# 245

2014 Ram 1500 3.0 V6 Eco-diesel 4x4

ALFLGAILINIAKYMIMONCOHPATNVAWVWIsm.jpg

• Moderators

Mike,

Greetings from Nova Scotia.  I just finished a month in Newfoundland and Labrador with my 18.5er and had a marvelous time with the Vikings, icebergs, whales and puffins.

Do it now . . . Sell one of the homes and purchase your Ollie with cash from the proceeds.  I have a similar background...flew all over, looking down on the land but never really "seeing" it.  I retired at the first available moment and now cruise around at 60mph with my Oliver happily folowing behind ..... meeting folks from all walks of life, seeing and smelling the land, enjoying different cultures and cuisines, and being thankful for the opportunity to do so.

I'd be glad to talk with you and show you how well an Ollie weathers the time and miles after I complete my five month wander this year.  Send me a pm in the latter part of September and let's get together.  Perhaps we can get Mike & Carol to show you their 23.5er at the same time.

Pete

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Mike,

We are back in town. If you want to see an Elite II let me know. I retired from the Army in 2005, then retired again (civil service) last year from Fort Sam Houston. We will be home all month before heading to Colorado in September and Utah in October. There is now another Elite II owner over in Pipe Creek. Plus Pete and Brandi with Elites.  There are also two other Elite II owners in the area, one in San Antonio and one in Cordillera.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement. I can't wait for it, but I want to be sure I'm ready financially. The one house is Utah is a rental. So I'll have to time it right before the lease ends. I think I'll put it on the market next year. If I sell the house, order the Oliver and try it out while I still own this house and work, then if it suits me; sell house and quit job and enjoy retirement. There's plenty of camping right here is south Texas. So I can get my feet wet. Never owned one, but I'm ready for change!

Pete and Mike and Carol I would love to check your trailers out. I had my mind set on the larger one, but would love to see the smaller one. The weight isn't a problem. I have a TV that is overkill for a travel trailer. I have a 2006 F350 dually with a PSD. It was much cheaper than paying prices for a new truck. With some TLC, this truck will last a long time.

Mike and Carol I'll pm you. Pete, I'll wait until you get back to set up a time to see yours.

Mike

• Thanks 2

Mike Greene

Future Oliver owner // 2006 F350 PSD