Oliver or Airstream?

gowheretowed

Had been thinking about an Airstream until I became aware of the Oliver and now leaning that way.  I posted a similar topic on Airstream Forum and received very positive responses about Oliver.  My question, have any of you had experience with Airstream?  From some fairly detailed comparisons, the Oliver continues to lead the race.

Can just add that on our way back to Arizona with our newly acquired Oliver II this past June, we happened to camp next to a couple in an AS, who we invited to inspect our Ollie. They approached us by saying, "We just looked up your trailer on the Internet. Wow!" They were very impressed with our trailer and bemoaned some of the things about the AS in comparison. We too were considering the AS before we settled on the Ollie. We are sure glad we did!

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

Both brands are industry leaders and I have owned both.  Presently own an Airstream and very happy with it.  The trailers are very different and it really comes down to your individual needs.

I give ease of maintenance to Oliver, but Airstream wins in the size and comfort area.  The Airstream is a foot wider which doesn't sound like a lot but it is huge in the use ability area.

Spend a lot of time inside both brands before you buy.  The good thing is that it is easy to re-sell either brand so if you find you bought the wrong one, just move on.

BTW.  The 2015 Legacy II for sale at $38,000 is a steal.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

We looked and drooled for a long  time before we leaped for the Oliver. It seemed that almost every time we saw a used AS the ad said new floors.  That concerned us. We had a Scamp awhile ago, and the reason we got it cheap was...it need a new floor in places. Space was tight to replace the needed floor but doable. We decided we had done it and never wanted to do it again. No wood (or wood composite) sounded like he way to go for us. Now after having the Scamp, the extra space in the Oliver is grand. Not as luxurious as the AS, but with the extra ground clearance, the width same as my tow vehicle, and the shorter length I have gone beyond where the road ends. The times where we stoped, not "plugged in", used the microwave, watched the weather, watched a movie, and had the CPAP running all night, was a real bonus for us...

Apples and oranges, buy what suits your needs. My personal feeling is that all Airstreams are WAY overpriced, but if you buy a heavily discounted one, the value is more comparable to an Ollie.

I did not want the maintenance nightmares of a trailer with steel frame, low dangling equipment, and screwed together wood interior. Not to mention the risk of water leaks and hail damage to the exterior. The Ollie is a very low maintenance, tough and capable little trailer.

The operational word is "little". Be sure you fit in the bathroom. I just showed mine to a very interested couple who would have ordered one, if he could have stood up straight in the bathroom. He was 6'4" and about 240. They will probably look for something larger.

http://www.twopluslu.com/oliver-versus-airstream-review/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John,

I agree that Airstream's are over privpced, but IMHO so is Oliver.  I would not buy a new RV, or vehicle and that makes prices much more affordable.  I am interested to see if Oliver introduces a larger trailer.  26 feet and eight foot wide would be sweet and I for one will be a prospect...if the price is in line.

My AS is as boon dock ready as anything out there...except maybe an Earth Roamer.

Main thing is to find what you love, and love what you find.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

We are attending a molded fiberglass rally in October. We have friends that own and have owned their Airstream for some time. They are dying to see our YACHT OLIVIA (Hull 242) and I smell change in the air for them . . . we, like them, had always been Airstream dreamers. We stropped dreaming the day we ordered 242.

Cash - AKA Sitting Bull

http://www.shot-in-texas.com

Thanks to all of you for your input.  Your experiences help in many ways.  There is also a great comparison I ran across on a web search looking for Airstream VS Oliver, written by twopluslu.  I think my earlier comparisons and reviews and studies have further solidified my choice for the Oliver.  I hope all of you have wonderful, safe travel experiences and if I am fortunate, I may meet up with you out there as we travel America.

• 2 weeks later...

It is very interesting reading the complaints Airstream owners are expressing of late.  With the massive growth of Airstream, the feeling seems to be their quality has dropped considerably.  Without question they are selling a lot of units, but may be increasing their unhappy owner list.  Oliver looking better and better especially when you look at the positive comments from Oliver owners.

My tow cents worth.

I think John has made the most salient point in the discussion here, but to that I will also add it has never made sense to me why people compare these two extremely different travel trailers. Other than the vague similarity in outside shape everything else is dramatically different, almost at the opposite end of the spectrum from each other. But the comparisons never seem to end. Not trying to be offensive to the OP by any means but they are just two different beast with completely different capabilities, solutions and purposes IMHO.

And as John pointed out it really depends on what YOU want to do, and how you want to camp and travel. From everything I've heard and seen from other Airstream owners its true the Oliver wins hands down and by a long shot in the quality control and maintenance arena, but clearly the Airstreams tends to be the comfort champ. Not that the Oliver is comfortable, the AS jut takes it up several notches.  But we don't set around the campground to relax, rather we are out on daily adventures, hiking, cycling etc so roughing it in boondock mode so the Oliver fits us to a T. There are places we would take our Oliver that we would unlikely consider taking an Airstream. But at the end of the day our Oliver is just a small motel room on wheels buried deep in the mountains or deserts where we can cook, eat and sleep after a long day of playing. This scenario isn't for everybody though. Know what you want to do, then seek a solution.

One couple we've talked to who were full timing in an AS said they take a rivet kit along with them wherever they go to constantly replace/repair rivets. This was a 25 Flying Cloud only a year or so old. Granted it was out west where the roads and traveling can be a bit rougher than back east but it certainly raised our eyebrows and dropped our jaws hearing this. It also nipped in the bud my near lifelong lover affair and admiration of Airstreams. We had a T@b at the time, but bought our Oliver the next year.

• Like 1

Legacy Elite II #70

What do you imagine yourself doing?

The way to compare the two is to decide what you want to use it for, how often, where, how much towing vs living, etc.   Get your needs figured out first, then look at the two trailers.  Again, what do you imagine yourself doing?  Extended trips across the country, or weekend getaways?  Desert or mountain boondocking?  Long stays with no hookups, or parks with shore tie every night?   Larger family, lots of visiting guests, or just mainly two?

The two designs are way different and this has been discussed extensively.

In a nut shell, Airstream is a luxury apartment, best for weekends and less towing.  A very nice place to live in.  More subject to damage in hail storms.  They are wider and harder to see around or keep in a lane and not as well equipped to boondock with limited battery power and pantry area.   Oliver is more for extended camping, with minimal hookups as they have more pantry and more battery and a different water system design.  Olivers tow very easily and have good ground clearance.  Their tongue design is better because you can open the tailgate of the tow vehicle while hooked up.  They are narrower and have better weight distribution with the batteries over the axles.

If you plan to always have shore tie at night and a supermarket close by, that Airstream is nice.   If you want to put on a lot of towing miles and maybe like to venture out on poor roads or not be tied to shore power so much, Oliver is much better.

If you only go when the weather is not threatening, Airstream.  If you want the variety of any weather camping, hot or cold, hail or not.  Oliver is the better choice.

Oliver offers lots of little things that add up to ease of use and versatility in general. Well prepared to be more self-sufficient.  vs Airstream with its luxury while stopped, but need for external support and need to stay on the paved road.

Either one will likely last a long time and have good resale value, if that appeals to you.  I didn't buy mine to re-sell later, I bought it for my wife and I to enjoy and I will never sell it.  This is, by far, the nicest trailer I've ever had and one that looks like it will easily outlast me.   As I go along and make little modifications to it, I'm reminded that it's really structurally sound and worth every bit of effort I put into it.   Plus it's just plain fun, and that's what camping trips are all about.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19