ROUTE 66 NATIONAL MUSEUM

mountainborn

• Moderators

Easily located on old historic Route 66 in Elk City Oklahoma, the museum is a step back into the childhood of those that traveled it in the era. Here is our first view as we drove down Main st. in Elk City:

06-21-08_1104.jpg

We found lots of paved parking with easy access and a paved access completely around the entire city's block that the museum occupies.

Butcherknife and I would be walking along the self guided tour route when suddenly one of us would get very quiet, deep in thought, remembering. . . . . Then the other one would quietly say, tell me about it . . . . . We shared the grandest stories about family, friends and the good times of the era.

For example:

06-21-08_0923.jpg

Didja' ever ride a well worn, hand me down bicycle for many miles, delivering the "GRIT" newspaper, as you saved nickles and dimes ? All the while dreaming of the day when you would be able to deliver those papers on a shiney red Cushman scooter ?

When we strolled hand in hand around the corner and there it was . . . I just kind of froze in place. After a few seconds of silence, Betty said, "tell me about it". I did. It was a story of sweat, flat tires, bad dogs and a chain that just would not stay on that bicycle.

Yep, we had a grand old walk down memory lane at the Route 66 National Museum ! :D

>

PS, note the reflection on the hood of the jeep in the first photo. It was many miles yet to the high mountain jeep trail passes out in Colorado and the jeep was still fairly clean.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Chris & Cherie, one of the first things that we saw in the museum was a home made teardrop camp trailer. The blue prints were framed on the wall by it. It was a wonderfuly crafted work of art from the period. The cook top was Magic Chef. Betty & I thought about you guys and your more modern and high tech, but similar in some ways, travel trailer. Here is a video of the teardrop:

th_06-21-08_0920TearDrop.jpg

Note the tongue has no trailer ball socket. The tongue was pinned to the rear bumper much as an old horse drawn hay rake was hooked up to a mule team's harness ! No brakes, lights, or electrical system at all. The automobile's single tail light was considered sufficient, I guess.

A great restoration. We spent a lot of time looking this one over.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

You two are having WAY TOO MUCH FUN!!!! Stayed in Elk City (KOA?) a couple-3 years ago and was told about the museum and filed it away for future stop and I remembered only the Elk City part... I knew when I left ya'll at Lake Gleeson that I wanted to stop there for sumthin'...... Well, Geri wants to go that away too, so we'll get to see it!!! Where did you stay? Are you going to the river Valley Egg Rally in Van Buren Sept 10-14???? We are and hope to see you there!!!

Chuck

• Moderators

The ROUTE 66 MUSEUM just kind of captured us. We spent considerable time there, looking, and remembering. Here is butcherknife waiting for me to put the camera down and hold hands while watching the CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON from the back seat of the convertible. ;)8-)

th_06-21-08_0925Rte66DI.jpg

• Moderators

MUSEUM WALL MURAL: ( Note that I changed history a bit, I re routed Route 66 through Arkansas ! ) :o He,he, you know it had to be that way, Arkansas is the absolute center of the universe, all things radiate outward from here ! :o

th_06-21-08_094466Mural.jpg