The Midwest is not a flyover zone

SeaDawg

59 days til pick up.. 57 til we head toward Hohenwald.. but who’s counting.. Deb’s going to hook her rug while we are on the road this winter. 
 SouthPlatte/Platte/Missouri/Mississippi/St.Croix/BoisBrule/Superior/Huron/French/Mattawa/Ottawa/St.Lawerence/Chaudiere/Kennebec/New Meadows..... no need to go through Panama🙂

St.George open through mid October?

• Like 1

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

12 hours ago, Mcb said:

59 days til pick up.. 57 til we head toward Hohenwald.. but who’s counting.. Deb’s going to hook her rug while we are on the road this winter. 
 SouthPlatte/Platte/Missouri/Mississippi/St.Croix/BoisBrule/Superior/Huron/French/Mattawa/Ottawa/St.Lawerence/Chaudiere/Kennebec/New Meadows..... no need to go through Panama🙂

Nice trip. Have to pack a lot of Moxie for that one. Just the Kennebec and sometimes New Meadows, is a trip in a canoe. We have hauled a canoe from the Basin to Cundy's once when the wind came up. They were a little wet and cold. At least they had PFDs. They were happy for a dry ride.

All State Parks are open until Columbus (Indigenous Peoples?) Day for camping. However first come/ first served basis for camping. Leaf Peeping season should be early this year, so probably not many 45' fifth wheels from the "southard" looking for a spot.

Should be an interesting travel year. Any general areas you are heading? Heard some spots are already booked. Glad we have solar.

Keep a travel log, always looking for great off the beaten path spots.

SW Florida for the most part..we made reservations months ago. A late winter run to California to visit family, that will probably involve a few Harvest Hosts, Cracker Barrel parking lots and the like. Got a place to stay once we get there. Back to Maine next spring in time to deal with Alewives.. That’s plan “A”... I guess we will make final decisions as we put Tennessee in the rear view....

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

1 hour ago, Mcb said:

SW Florida for the most part.

Look at Kissimmee Prairie Preserve S.P.. No light pollution allowed at night. Biggest sky and brightest stars, as well as milky way, on eastern seaboard. Oleano S.P. , down south, is an unknown to most. Have to kick the deer out of your yard all day. Would like to go down the western side of the Mississippi, maybe January/Feb time frame. So many unknowns this year crossing state lines.

Edited by Mainiac
Darn @#$%#@ autocorrect

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2017 at 2:06 PM, Try2Relax said:

If you travel a little further east, you can see the fireflies in all their glory, North Carolina - Blue Ridge Parkway - June timeframe

Oh!  I do miss fireflies.  Grew up in Massachusetts, but I've been a colorado girl for nearly 30 years now.  Wouldn't go back, but there are definitely things I miss.

• Like 1

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, VBistro said:

Oh!  I do miss fireflies.  

Me, too. I love seeing them in the summer,  in NC.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 9/26/2020 at 5:59 PM, Mcb said:

I wish our trip would be only 2 days . . . . . more like 7-8.  I plan to embroider dish towels for Christmas gifts during the drive out (when I'm not driving).  On the way home, I'll be too busy looking in the mirror at our new Oliver 😁

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
On 11/4/2017 at 3:52 AM, topgun2 said:

Sherry - when they are in season I'll try to remember to drop you a note.  Sometimes those areas that are known to have these fireflys can be very crowded, but, I know of a place where you can have them all to yourself - as long as you don't tell anyone where it is.

Bill

will you remind me, next summer? 

I forgot about this, this year. We were probably in  NC at the height, since it's the only place we've gone, this year ... several times.

Covid escape in the woods is just fine. 

Frost on the ground this morning,  but a beautiful sunny day. Yes, it's  chilly. That's why we have jackets.

Livvy got a new coat today, for her birthday. Florida dog, she doesn't enjoy temps much under 50s. 

20201017_190229.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

will you remind me, next summer? 

Between the two of us hopefully we will have enough brain power that we can remember.😄  I'll do a small amount of looking around and see if I can find out what time these critters did their thing this year.  Since they are usually within a week or two each year that should give us a ballpark to shoot for.  I'll let you know.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

OK - I checked.  Our local blue fireflys do their thing late Spring to early Summer.  When I see the light I'll raise the flag.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"