Trailer Brake Controller

russ4512

I am close to buying a 2017 Lincoln Navigator (3.5L V6 with 460 lb-ft  of torque) to tow our 2015 Legacy II, and have two questions:

The SUV needs a trailer brake controller. What would anyone suggest for an aftermarket one? Lincoln does not have one and the dealer said they don't install a Ford controller.

Has anyone used a Navigator for towing an Oliver and what was your experience?

Thanks.

Russ

I think that will be a fine tow rig. The only thing you ned to be aware of is the short wheel base and soft springs will make it less stable than say an F150, so you will need the Anderson hitch for sure.

The Tekonsha P3 is sort of the standard "go to" aftermarket unit. I have had several and they work very well. OTH I would try really hard to get an OEM Ford unit installed, if there is any way possible! Sticking an ugly bracket and controller, and exposed wires, on a brand new luxury SUV will make you weep.

You might consider one of the Redarc units from Australia. They are completely hidden other than a small lighted rotary dial that can fit just about anywhere there is room for a switch. There is probably an unused switch plate that could be used so you wouldn't have to drill holes in the dash.

https://www.redarc.com.au/trailer-brakes/tow-pro

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I've got the P3 installed inside the center console. It can't be seen unless you open the door and that gives you full access at your finger tips at all times. Our center console is split in 2 so I just open my 1/2 and can use it manually if needed any time without ever having to move my arm from its normal resting place.

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

I used a Tekonsha P3 with a Toyota Tacoma for the first 5 months of towing.  It worked well. My new truck has an integrated controller. If you decide on a P3, I've got one I'll sell cheap!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS