ALASKA! Share your experiences & dreams

ShallowGal

Because, on another thread, GaryJona said: "The first place my wife and I went to in our first Trailer was straight to the Alcan Highway to Alaska, a great trip and be sure to be there mid July on as the Salmon start coming in, it ands to the bear watching. PS when you go if possible go up through Glacier into Canada crossing right there and do the Waterton National Park to Banff into Jasper and the Canadian Ice Fields a for sure do not miss this part. You can go straight up to the Alcan starting point just out of the west end of Jasper. Enjoy Thanks Gary"

And then SeaDog said: "I think we need to start an Alaska thread. We found so many amazing, mostly empty campgrounds on our trips

I’m infatuated with the Yukon. So few people, so much wildlife, and wonderful rustic campsites. I think Yukon territory sites were $10 cad last year , roughly $7.60 us. Free firewood. We were often the only ones, or just a few others, in the campgrounds."

And I agreed. And since taking our Ollies to ALASKA is on several folk's bucket lists, I asked "We" to start this thread.

318541_2121275784693_1545611_n.jpg.98e50847872d11104648ca52968816b5.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

Looking at glaciers from a distance and going inside are 2 different things. If you get the chance to take a guided tour on or inside a glacier, then do it. I was the guide many years ago for a few groups in to different glaciers around the Anchorage area. Being surrounded by the Blue ice is one of the most incredible feelings that you will ever experience.

20170813_130101.thumb.jpg.b2db4b54eeea88f2fd7d4c3fab771fdf.jpg

• Thanks 6
  • Like 2

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderator+

We are planning an Alaska trip in 2018, perhaps heading out after the Oliver Rally or thereabouts.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Steve.  You got a new truck!  Like the diesel better than gas?  You could pull the Outlaw Oliver plus my rig too with that rig.

Congratulations.  Hello to Tali from Carol and me.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel

Well always a good post and the only thing I can say is JUST DO IT !!!!!!! if you like camping the two greats for north are Alaska and the Canadian Maritimes and the trips getting there. If you want to stay in a National Park from mid June to September 7th I would make reservations Denali, Waterton, Banff, Jasper, Glacier, Acadia, Fundy, Canandish, Cape Breton, etc. Now I'll post a few photos I only have several thousand from each trip. Plan a little use the Provincial parks like up at Dawson City on the Yukon and state and city campgrounds. All will be full or busy on Holidays so know the Canadian holidays as well and as always a welcoming Walmart, Fred Meyer's,Cabella's, Bass Pro, etc for moving along or what a save for tonight.

PS: take your, time leave open periods like sitting on the campsite in Steward city campground right on the water

.IMG_5968.thumb.jpg.4421952fe13719670f885ee5ef9c7ceb.jpg

IMG_6414.thumb.jpg.b1c6b67d9a0d046f6b764e0c4952a8dc.jpg

IMG_6477.thumb.jpg.a455e5eea7baec491dc9e1eb5e8643d4.jpg

IMG_6789.thumb.jpg.97be4a7fc0d3a1df359fe84ce41fa918.jpg

IMG_7007.thumb.jpg.6d730a6591fef2250b7c83be4b65fb83.jpg

IMG_7587.thumb.jpg.a645c91653ca97d901facf9eaf10ae33.jpg

• Thanks 6
  • Like 1

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

• Moderators

Glad you got a sunny day and fewer bugs at the Arctic circle. We drove up on a cloudy and rainy day, intending to camp at the campground by the monument, but gave it up due to the thick swarms of mosquitoes. Got the photos, youred the cg, and decided to make the trek back to silver gulch brewery in Fox.

The road out is awful. Most of the way. Some pavement, mostly gravel, and if it's been raining, really mucky and slippery in areas that collect water. Go on a dry sunny day... Don't do as we did...

We followed a heavy equipment trick out, a mile to a half mile behind, and followed his tracks. Twice the speed out as in.

I would not recommend taking a fiberglass trailer on this road. Too many rocks flying. Take the TV only, and you'll be happier.

Here's one of my happier photos, holding the dog, and slapping mosquitoes. Make sure to wear long sleeves.

IMG_20160619_152815589.thumb.jpg.745d73bea35bb0ae2f90069e05608797.jpg

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Not a lovely day to drive this highway. Some poor motorcyclists were completely covered in mud. We sometimes couldn't see the road after the windshield washer fluid ran out. Beautiful, but ugly, too.

IMG_20160619_161608265.thumb.jpg.252a9c28ba47a76223bebdfe183b03e3.jpg

IMG_20160619_144333092.thumb.jpg.f7c8e3cc7f6ab17d72253ded1637236a.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

I need to dig out my journals, and share some of my favorite campgrounds. The Alaska trip is beautiful, amazing, and something you will remember the rest of your life.

I don't know if we will go again. Three times may be enough. Or, who knows?

IMG_20160620_221926210_HDR.thumb.jpg.5bb4800678108d16e2c55f1dcde229cf.jpg

Campsites like this beckon you back.

IMG_20160621_115938727_HDR.thumb.jpg.e8e705925d02983e8f4350162210dbf1.jpg

IMG_20160621_115938727_HDR.thumb.jpg.e8e705925d02983e8f4350162210dbf1.jpg

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

The milepost is good, but devoted to advertising. You will miss a lot if you camp only in the spots listed there.

Pick up the provincial/ territory guides at each entry. Use those to supplement. And, keep your eyes open for the local spots.

In Alaska, you can camp anywhere no posted. We've spent many nights in turnouts on the Denali, Richardson and other highways, with amazing views, and no fees. ( Obviously, no service, either). Several nights in vacant lots in old Valdez. Much nicer than camping in the crowded municipal campgrounds.

We rarely make reservations, but, if you want to camp at Denali, it's a necessity. We've lucked out on last minute, but I do mean lucked. We always have a backup of camping at my cousin's house at the foot. So we can risk it.

Sherry

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

We went to Alaska last year and although we did buy the Milestone, we forgot it at home.   We did, however, have an older and newer copy of Mike and Terri Church's book, Travelers Guide to Alaskan Camping.   We found this book very helpful, and not as confusing as the Milepost looked.

We also took thousands of pictures and trying to find one or two that were the best is difficult.  We did make it to the Arctic Circle on the Dempster, but we only took the truck and stayed at the hotel in Eagle Plains.   We want to head back when the road to the Arctic Ocean is complete and feel taking our Oliver will be no problem.

IMG_5477_1.thumb.jpg.00dc3b6f5c1c203532b5c1a346b1ba1a.jpg

IMG_5822_1.thumb.jpg.d57b6622b14448fd2f77cfdb1aac6082.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Ed and Marsha

Legacy Elite II, Hull #85

Ford F150 Lariat

I would cover the front of the trailer when you start the Alaska Canadian Highway so through British Columbia and the Yukon Territories we covered ours with a thin layer of closed cell foam I bought at a flea market. Put it on with no-residue duck tape I bought at the Home Depot/ Lowes stores worked well, lasted up through Alaska and back to Washington state when I took it off so for over a month. I made sure no water or air gets behind as that is what wears on the gel coat and you will get rain, mudd, dust and more rain , mudd and dust, but the rain cleans it off pretty well.  Just a mention they help but rock Tammers alone are not the answer. Thanks Gary

IMG_6285.thumb.jpg.fe65b55d61c606c96854c66847e4eb9c.jpg

IMG_0423.thumb.jpg.13220d600c4935fafda83ad4414b136c.jpg

• Thanks 4
  • Like 1

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I did the Alaska trip (and much more) from Atlanta and back last year. It was a great trip but requires much planning and preparation in my opinion. We traveled with another couple who almost didn't get to go due to illness. If anyone is interested, we kept a blog of our trip to share with friends and family as we traveled and you may find some stories and/or photos to help pique your interest. The blog can be accessed at https://culpepperwaters.blogspot.com/ and the chapters are identified by the different towns/stops so you can focus on the Alaska only parts if you wish.

It was a great trip and recommend it....and hopefully our next one will be in an Ollie.

• Thanks 4
  • Like 2

Darrell & Kathy

2013 F-250 Diesel 6.7

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Hull #319)

https://www.blogger.com/profile/02054187086533485920

d

• 2 months later...

Ann and I have been to Newfoundland and Labrador many times. Never in the Oliver but tent camping on the motorcycle. It is a wonderful place, much to see and people to meet. Hope to get back there with the Oliver for a month stay.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Grayson and Ann Cook

Northwest CT and Mid Coast Maine

2016 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed FP

Toyota Tundra, Extra Cab, Long bed, 5.7 V8

Yippee-i-o-ki-yah

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

I know there are at least a few people on the forum heading to Alaska this year, including us ( again.)

Thought it might be time to revive shallowgal's thread.

I looked up Canadian gas prices today. Not as big a difference as some other years. Adjusting for liters/ gallons, and our favorable exchange rate, looks like about $1 a gallon difference.

I know most of you already know these things, but...

MasterCard and Visa work in most urban places. Make sure you notify your credit card company a month before you leave the us, with the states and provinces and territories you plan to visit.

Pick the credit cards to use in Canada wisely... The ones without a foreign transaction fee, which can add 3 per cent or so to each gas, grocery, or other purchase. Most credit union cards are free, as are most airline cards, but not all. Costco visa recently deleted foreign transaction fees... And, there are some great Costco stores in Canada. Your US membership works there, too. It's worldwide.

We do order some Canadian cash before we leave home. Ask your bank how much you need to order to avoid big fees. I think ours wants us to exchange $500. It's easy to use that up, along with cc purchases, in a few weeks.

If you plan to just use ATMs, find out ahead of time which bank and ATMs , if any, work with your bank for less fees. You will need cash if you buy gas or groceries in some tiny places.and, for camping fees in some spots. Many campsites are envelope deposited. And you'll need loonies anyway for the laundromat..

Read the latest guidelines on what you can and can't bring across both borders. Make your life simple by knowing and following current rules for foodstuffs ( including pet food), and if you bring a pet, have a current health certificate and imnunization record. Canadian crossings always seem to have a couple dozen questions about weapons, once they see an American passport. Make sure you can answer the list truthfully. . It's very long. Rifles, handguns, numchicks, switchblades, brass knuckles, etc, etc, etc. Leave them home, if you own any.

Our experience in border crossing, both ways, has been great. We just look up the rules, follow them.

More on favorite campsites, later... Looking forward to camping in bc and the Yukon again.

Sherry

• Thanks 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Great info Sherry! I would never have known there are rules about dog food. Looking forward to your chapter on campsites.

Chris

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292

• Moderators

I mentioned the pet food, as many of us travel with pets. My cousin lost a couple large containers of prescription dog food years ago because she had taken the food out of the bags and placed it in airtight containers for the three month trip. Out of the original packaging, she had no way to show that her dog's food was indeed quality food, US origin. It was confiscated.

Keep your pet food in original container, so you have label and proof. http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/animal-products-and-by-products/pet-food/eng/1321129023397/1321129556426

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I will be in Hohenwald for service and a couple of upgrades April. 9th then plan to meander north to Sioux Narrows Ontario where we will turn west and slowly head for Alaska. My wife who doesn't like the slog across the country will fly into Edmonton, AB, Canada and meet me. This is our second trip in an OTT to Alaska. We almost never make reservations except for major holidays and have had very little trouble finding a place to stay. On our last trip, a couple that had RV'd to Alaska many times highly recommended Seward Alaska for the 4th of July. They recommended that we arrive at least five days in advance to get one of the first come first serve spots in the Waterfront Park Campground dry camping. I wouldn't even think about coming in at the last minute. The 4th is huge in Alaska. They do have a dump site and a place where you can take on fresh water. It was one of the best small town 4's that we've ever had. We liked the second second-tier sights for many reasons especially the view. Check out the Marathon Mountain, Alaska 4th race on Youtube. That's where we hope to be this year for the fourth.

Alaska is the trip of a lifetime.

Hope to see you in Alaska.

Hap

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

. Make sure you can answer the list truthfully. . It’s very long. Rifles, handguns, numchicks, switchblades, brass knuckles, etc, etc, etc. Leave them home, if you own any. Our experience in border crossing, both ways, has been great. We just look up the rules, follow them.

Sherry, just a minor addition, otherwise, a great post.

Most types of long guns can easily be brought into Canada with the correct paperwork, filled out in advance (but not signed) and presented to the border inspector for him to process. Shotguns and bolt or lever action rifles are usually not a worry, scary black guns may be. It is important to read the Canadian firearm law and do not ever try to sneak something through. I _very_ seldom travel to Canada, but if I do I will bring a 12 gauge shotgun and bear ammo.

Firearms are not allowed in parks, that is a small worry, you need to store yours unloaded and in a hard to access area, like under the street side rear bed. Not in the closet gun rack;)  Firearms and Hunting are not permitted in National Parks. If you are carrying a firearm through to another destination it must be unloaded and securely encased.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/mtn/reglements-regulations/reglements-regulations

Note that while you can possess a long gun as a non-Canadian “passing through”, your legal right to actually use it for self defense is highly restricted. For example, if you are in a remote forest campground you can’t keep it loaded, even while you are inside and parked.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/wild-sauvage-eng.

These are a few of the reasons I don’t cross the border.... if I go to Alaska it will probably be via the Ferry. Since it does not stop at any Canadian port, it is considered to be US soil, and you can transport any US legal firearms, as long as they are declared and left secured in your truck.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

And, the last time we crossed, bear spray with proper stamp was ok. I have not read the regs on weapons yet this year, but we will.

I'd remind everyone to read the regulations ( both Canadian and US, for re-entry), not to rely on forum posts. (Even from reliable people like John.) Rules can, and do, change over time. Most often, it's about prohibited foods, to protect the agriculture of each nation.

Sherry

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

We got back last night from our latest Alaska adventure.

I'm thinking about starting threads for bc campsites, Yukon campsites, Alaska state parks, etc.

Would that be ok? With a link to this thread.

By the end of the summer, there will be a lot of information, I'm sure.

Sherry

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I, for one, sure want to hear & learn all about yours & anyone else's trip to the 49th state! Last year, after Duke & I made the decision to buy an Oliver, I started reading and watching videos (thank you Reed & Karen) to learn about the RV life. One YouTube subscription I look forward to is KYD - Keep Your Daydream. The reason I mention it here is they are currently traveling to Alaska and will begin posting videos about their trip this Sunday. (6-17-18)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEhJLsShZt8McryMf_DHLZQ/featured

These are exceptionally well done videos - beautiful scenery, almost professional quality editing, fun-loving & funny family &, most importantly, informative. Even Duke enjoys watching them. Their past seasons have been about the Eastern US, Mexico, NW US & Canada, & SW US. Scattered in-between are videos about their rig, storage, how to get along with your spouse, boondocking fail, mods to their tow vehicle, & so on.

http://www.keepyourdaydream.com/

Enjoy!

Chris

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292