Fresh Water Tank Modification

topgun2

• Moderators

I've just returned from a fly fishing trip in Colorado.  On the way back to Western North Carolina I stopped at the Mothership and had the guys at the plant "do" a couple of things for me.  One of those things was seeing if I could get the "new" mod done on the fresh water tank.  Jason told me that it would be no problem and would not take them very long to complete.

When the work was done, Jason gave me my total bill and I noticed that the "Fresh Tank Modification" was billed at $47.50 but was marked "N/C".  Certainly it is possible that since the rest of the bill totaled almost $1,000 they just threw this mod in on the deal, but ...  So, not only did I get the mod, but, they did not charge me for it!  Talk about great service at a great price!

So, if you are near Hohenwald and/or are planning on getting some other work completed, you might want to ask (nicely) if they would do this "mod" for you.

Finally - once again I simply can not say enough kind words in regards to the work and helpfulness of these guys at Oliver.  Jason, Richie, Justin, Dustin (and others) not only work their butts off doing great work in a hot and humid plant, but, they are simply great guys and more than willing to do whatever is in their power to help.  Its simply amazing to me what these guys will do for a couple of donuts and a can of soda!  Thanks to them for all they did for me.

Bill

• Thanks 6

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Post some pics! Does the installation look similar to the non-factory version?

This is good news, I wonder when they will have kits ready for field installations, and if it will be required to visit an RV dealer...

Thanks,

John Davies

Spikane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Don't know the answer(s) to the questions - call Richie Carroll at 1-888-526-3978 and I'm sure that he can give you the details.  I'll get some pictures today and (hopefully) post them later today.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We agree with Topgun2!! The guys at Oliver are great! We just got home from Hohenwald to have adjustment made to our Anderson Hitch. We also had a long list of questions and a couple of little repairs needing attention. The guys answered all of our questions, completed the little repairs, took us on a second factory tour, installed the fresh water modifications, and adjusted our Anderson Hitch to perfection. We are lucky that we live in Tennessee and are close to the factory. We love our #190 and hope to see some of you at the 2018 Rally. We were in Alaska and missed Rally 2017. We leave for Maine and Nova Scotia this week. Can't wait.

Gary and Ann

• Moderators

Wow!  You guys are right on it this morning.  Below are a few quick photos of this mod.  Note that I did not take it apart to see just how far the pickup tube goes towards the bottom of the tank.  But, Jason told me that now I would be able to use virtually 99% of the water that was in there, so, I assume that they put that tube right to the bottom.  Also, since I only live about seven hours from Hohenwald and just got home yesterday afternoon, I did not have a chance to "test" it.  Hope this help!

Bill

gi27voakwc0d0tjzanoxwqbtbb05xpu3.thumb.jpg.eb61cc1f761a2a18d9f1b5639520bc4b.jpg

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

Routlaw,

The fresh water tank mod is designed to allow the water to pick up "all" of the water in the fresh water tank versus the original design that only got something like 80% of the total capacity of the tank before the pump started to suck air.  I believe that credit should go to "Raspy" for the original design and idea of putting the pickup into the top of the tank (versus the original that is from the side) with a tube that extends to the bottom of the tank.

As soon as I get a bit of time I will post a trip review - with Colorado fish pictures.

Bill

Thanks for the update, Bill.  Jason had told me that they were waiting to see how difficult it was to do a modification before they made any sort of announcement on it.  Did they tell you if you were the first?  I guess I can confirm then that the units I saw the other week coming down the line all had this mod.  I'd post pics of mine but it's identical to what they did on yours.

My only question is if Oliver's mod is all PEX vs the copper tube that Raspy and Reed used.  Not sure if it makes any difference, but I didn't see any sign of copper on mine, nor yours.

• Moderators

Overland,

Don't think that I was "first" since tnbackroads had his done the day before.  When I emailed Jason a couple of days before I got there I simply listed this mod (along with the other work that I wanted done) and in his return email to me he said that they would take care of it.  I also didn't ask if the new Oliver's coming down the line had this mod, but, I would find it very hard to believe that they wouldn't (or, the design to the tanks would have been modified directly from the tank mfg).  Since I didn't ask and one can not actually see any copper on my mod, I don't know about what was used for the drop tube.  However, assuming that it works, I'm not sure that I really care a whole lot.

Bill

• Moderators

Angela,

Obviously they will "do" virtually anything directly to the Oliver and the accessories that they sell for the Oliver.  I also know that they will "do" wheel bearing maintenance, re-caulking of virtually anything on the camper (think here of re-caulking the air conditioner, bathroom vent, Maxair fan, etc on the roof and windows, etc.) and fiberglass repair of damage done to both the interior and exterior of the Oliver.

Bill

• Thanks 1

Angela, Obviously they will “do” virtually anything directly to the Oliver and the accessories that they sell for the Oliver. I also know that they will “do” wheel bearing maintenance, re-caulking of virtually anything on the camper (think here of re-caulking the air conditioner, bathroom vent, Maxair fan, etc on the roof and windows, etc.) and fiberglass repair of damage done to both the interior and exterior of the Oliver. Bill

Good to know!  Thanks, Bill.  - Angela

2017 Legacy Elite II Standard

2006 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel 4WD

Bummer, when we stopped at the plant, on the way to VA., they said they could not do the mod at that point.

Bill, hope you had a good time in the trout streams.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Thanks for the heads up. I was told they planned  to use pex but not the colored stuff since the exterior isn't approved.  So looks like they're using the plain translucent stuff.

I have an appointment Monday and have a request for the mod. So maybe they'll have time to do it.  I'm on a 3 month trip and threw in a 15 gal water container just in case they weren't ready.  Yea!

At Crater Diamonds State Park in Arkansas,  arrive at the plant Sunday for an early appointment Monday.

Brad

Santa Fe NM

Thanks for the heads up. I was told they planned to use pex but not the colored stuff since the exterior isn’t approved. So looks like they’re using the plain translucent stuff. I have an appointment Monday and have a request for the mod. So maybe they’ll have time to do it. I’m on a 3 month trip and threw in a 15 gal water container just in case they weren’t ready. Yea! At Crater Diamonds State Park in Arkansas, arrive at the plant Sunday for an early appointment Monday. Brad Santa Fe NM

Keep us posted on how it goes ..... Angela

2017 Legacy Elite II Standard

2006 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel 4WD

• Moderators

Brad,

I'm guessing that it will be no problem for them to do this mod for you - Jason told me that it does not take very long at all to complete.

Bill

Yes, those of us out West and thousands of miles from "The Mothership" need to know how we will be able to resolve this problem. Don't like the fact that we carry around a significant number of gallons of water that we can't use when boondocking.

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

After boondocking for the last week in Mt Rainier National Park, all I can say is, I'm Happy :) Its nice to have full access to every bit of water, a major fix thanks to John/ aka - Raspy :)

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

I had a list of about 5 items I asked Oliver to check out Monday.  One was the water pickup.  I was told it was about a 45 minute job.   I didn't get a chance to see the tube inserted in mine, but did get a chance to watch another trailer being modified.  The pex tube is notched then pushed all the way to the bottom of the tank.  I'll try to attach a picture in this message.  This morning I had a chance to test results.  As level as I could get it, the level indicator showed 6% before it started to suck air and stop pumping.  This was down from about 35% before.  So I'm happy with the results.  FYI,  before, it would start sucking air at about 35% but feed would continue down to maybe 25%.  The new set-up stops drawing quickly.  I possibly could have pulled s little more out by raising the nose.

20170822_141148.thumb.jpg.dac7e0ecc7668da51ca03e4b430ab1da.jpg

• Thanks 4

It takes just 45 minutes to make right :)

And probably 3 minutes now before the tank is installed during the build process on new trailers. Excellent news on the resolution of this easy to fix problem. Do you know if they are doing all of the spin welds on the new tanks, or did they get the tank factory to start putting them in for them before shipment?

We can now mark this major problem as Solved :)

I didn't realise that this is a new thread being that we've been out of touch for a week :)

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Wow! You guys are right on it this morning. Below are a few quick photos of this mod. Note that I did not take it apart to see just how far the pickup tube goes towards the bottom of the tank. But, Jason told me that now I would be able to use virtually 99% of the water that was in there, so, I assume that they put that tube right to the bottom. Also, since I only live about seven hours from Hohenwald and just got home yesterday afternoon, I did not have a chance to “test” it. Hope this help! Bill gi27voakwc0d0tjzanoxwqbtbb05xpu3.thumb.jpg.3ebc169543c6567c096b5874298cfd34.jpg

What's the story on the new 3way valves?

IMG_20170825_081003.jpg.fbc8c56292ff75cee4ded077b6cb2109.jpg

Happy Camping,

null

That looks like it will work pretty well.  I wonder too, how they plan to resolve the issue for the trailers out West?   Anyone can contact me if needed.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• Moderators

Reed - those are the "old" three way valves.  Don't know exactly when they made the switch but, as far as I know, this is what was used through at least March, 2016.  I've never had a problem with them.

Bill

• Thanks 1