Distance between sink and stove - Standard or Sideways

ShallowGal

I apologize if there is a thread about this out there somewhere in Forumland, but I can't seem to find diddly using the search feature.

Looking over the measurement index, it shows measurements between the sink and stove based on the standard set up or if the stove is turned sideways. (6 & 5/8" or 11") Did anyone specifically choose one or the other & if so, why, pros, cons?

Oliver has our deposit (Yay!) & our site visit is at the end of October (Awesome!); I want to have as many questions answered before we get there.

Thank you all!

Chris

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

We went with it sideways. Anita advised that it allowed more usable countertop to the left of the stove. Didn't get any measurements tho. In my mind it made sense. Also, it allows the cover to be flipped up to the right to act as a splatter barrier to the seating/bed area. Otherwise it just flips to the back.  She also mentioned that they were considering making the sideways position the norm  as more peopl order it that way than the current standard way.

As as an aside, Have you made any decisions on fabric/flooring? -Angela

• Thanks 1

2017 Legacy Elite II Standard

2006 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel 4WD

We went with the "standard".  As we thought it gave us the most counter space for us. Also when two in the area it is easier (and safer) to reach the burner controls. We also thought the cover was vulnerable to damage being exposed when open in the sideways orientation. By opening toward the wall, it is out of the way and thereby protected. Also didn't like that a pot handle might stick out into the aisle, where two people trying to navigate than space could cause potential problems...

• Thanks 1

Good point about the cover flipping to the right. On the Oliver Facebook page someone posted a photo of an Ikea-like shelving system that they mounted on the wall behind the sink & stove that the cover might interfere with if it weren't sideways.nzgpr49qu7wnbez97ks3sxewusa0boso.jpg.38037ebd4e39770dded4fa7aaef50484.jpg

As as an aside, Have you made any decisions on fabric/flooring? -Angela

We did. We hope since our Ollie build won't begin until November, that when we go up in October if we don't like our choices we can change them. It's unsettling to select something sight unseen that is rather pricey.

Floor - Seagrass; Fabric - Tuxedo Grey; Blue & Orange stripes - Go Gators!

• Thanks 3
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292

Look forward to seeing the the finished product!

Blue & Orange stripes – Go Gators!

lol! This combo came up in our discussions too but for a different reason:  Go Thunder! ????

• Thanks 1

2017 Legacy Elite II Standard

2006 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel 4WD

• Moderators

We didn't have a choice in the original, smaller Oliver, but I like the sideways mount.

It's not only a splatter guard, but a nosy dog guard. Our little dog would never try to poke around the lid...

No big deal to operate the controls from the left side.  I would, personally, love to have the extra counter space inches created by the sideways mount in the bigger trailer, with the wider counter.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

Tali and I participated in the original design conception for the Oliver Elite II. We had previously owned one of the original 2008 smaller Oliver elites with the stove turned vertically. I suggested at that time that the stove be turned horizontally to create more perceived counter space. That is how it became the "standard."  I did not like having to reach across the front burner to the rear.  All the observations made by everyone else are valid and it really boils down to which is your personal preference.  The amount of counter space is exactly the same no matter which way the burners are turned.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

It’s not only a splatter guard, but a nosy dog guard.

This, alone, seals it! Sideways it will be!

lol! This combo came up in our discussions too but for a different reason:  Go Thunder!

Billy Donovan or their team colors? ;)

Tali and I participated in the original design conception for the Oliver Elite II.

Thank you both for contributing to a fantastic product!

Chris

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292

I thought you were talking about the sink one way or another, but if it's the stove, I have a comment.  I'm attaching a pic so you can see the standard setup when our was built.

The problem with the stove in this configuration is that is is very close to the bunk and dangerous.  For instance, I get up and make coffee and Liye is just inches from boiling water and the flame, as she wakes up.  Sometimes she is cooking in a 12' pan and the pillows are inches away from the pan and the heat is too much.  The small burner grates don't support the pans very well and they can slide or tip easily.

I am trying to come up with a fence or wall that will prevent a disastrous burn.

Meanwhile, the configuration we have allows lots of counter space.

20170422_211434-1-1.thumb.jpg.cbdb2ff262fb7996234905cfebfdf715.jpg

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

We chose to have it set in normal also because it's just best for us. Then we have one sink cover cutting board for whatever and when cutting veggies you can just scrape everything into a bowl in the sink. Then we have this second cutting board that does everything else.

IMG_20170825_212242.thumb.jpg.de9428b7d7ffacd71b471395d6dbf322.jpg

IMG_20170825_212544.thumb.jpg.c4a065e8afc80cec63798df68c02b227.jpg

IMG_20170825_212622_1.thumb.jpg.fcc59566897e58818f456923341df052.jpg

IMG_20170825_212622_1.thumb.jpg.fcc59566897e58818f456923341df052.jpg

It's a kitchen table, splatter gaurd, and desk top.

• Thanks 2

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Reed,

I like the second cutting board.  What size is that?

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

I am trying to come up with a fence or wall that will prevent a disastrous burn. Meanwhile, the configuration we have allows lots of counter space.

Oliver has a vertical divider that they've put in a couple of trailers.  We were going to have them do that to ours but we thought having the 'wall' there would be in the way.  We've asked them instead to make a 12" fold down section to the right of the stove that will give us a bit more counter space and some distance between the stove and bed.  We'll have to move one of the cushions aside to raise it but that seems like an acceptable compromise.

• Thanks 1

This is the factory divider wall, I highly recommend it.

IMG_3039.thumb.jpg.135f17d4a566174c5149b6272d0f5873.jpg

IMG_3041.thumb.jpg.114f9cba0188e22608303d0d75d08d40.jpg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The cutting board is the largest that Walmart has, 15" x 20" but if you measure the drawer opening for a cover it can be larger. It looks like 3/8 uhmw. The one over the sink with the front lip she just picked up for $10 at Fred Meyer's on sale. She loves the small one and I use the large one as either an extra table over the drawer or for my laptop desk, hooked under the pantry when I'm editing or playing on it. It's just the right height when you have the King bed for another chair. Then we leave the Dinette as a sofa, which works great when we have guests because there's room for 2 more chairs in the isle if we're playing cards or staying in because of rain. To us, the dinette table needs an extension, so we use folding tables instead.

• Thanks 2

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II