Harvey Has Come to Town

Mike and Carol

• Moderators

I spent the morning bringing in lose items, putting away umbrellas and generally getting ready for some weather. The trees are now waving and the rain has started. We're projected to get 8" of rain this weekend with winds at 30-40mph. We're 170 miles north of Corpus Christi where Harvey is making landfall. Our son and family in Houston are supposed to get 20+ inches of rain. It's going to be an interesting weekend!  Our trailer is tucked away in covered storage.   Mike

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Mike & Carol - our thoughts are with you guys and certainly with those directly in the path of this thing.  Good luck and if there is ANYTHING that you might even think we could do to help, just yell.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Floresville issued a voluntary evacuation. They are projecting  70mph winds for tomorrow. We don't have our camper shed  built yet, so we loaded up the JellyBean and took off. We are hunkering down in Burnet, TX at Inks Lake SP.  Had to bring the dogs. Weenie dog fits fine. It's another story for the Great Dane! Lol.

IMG_5657.thumb.jpg.3083522767be3892be77c6e844a34a68.jpg

IMG_5653.thumb.jpg.2552c7bf195315ecf5932123a279f3c6.jpg

IMG_5656.thumb.jpg.9bd90aff4f9602a93a81a377ffe18113.jpg

• Thanks 5

Brandi Shaffer

• Moderators

<p style="text-align: left;">To all our friends in Texas, we hope you ride through the storm safely.</p>

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Have been watching the news all day. Have many friends & family members in Texas. Hoping that everybody has battened down the hatches & found a safe place to go. After living in FL for 23 yrs I know this is no fun at all.

Brandi...love the photos! The quarters may be tight but you are safe & everybody looks relaxed & happy!

• Thanks 1

Clair & Kathy Reed - plus our travel companion: Emma

2017 Legacy Elite II - Hull# 245

2014 Ram 1500 3.0 V6 Eco-diesel 4x4

ALFLGAILINIAKYMIMONCOHPATNVAWVWIsm.jpg

• Moderators
Floresville issued a voluntary evacuation. They are projecting 70mph winds for tomorrow. We don’t have our camper shed built yet, so we loaded up the JellyBean and took off. We are hunkering down in Burnet, TX at Inks Lake SP. Had to bring the dogs. Weenie dog fits fine. It’s another story for the Great Dane! Lol.

Brandi,

It is nice to have an escape pod when you need one.  Inks Lake is a nice distance north for you, and also a great campground.   Is Texas allowing all evacuees to camp for free?

I love the picture of your great dane inside JellyBean.  Hope you can enjoy your adventure.

Pete

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

All Texas State parks are free for evacuees. However, this was already a planned trip so it was paid for.  Lol. First time we've been here. I highly recommend it. Very well kept with spacious spots.

Now.  Does anyone have any tips for the extreme humidity inside? AC is not helping. Feel wet and sticky. Yuck

Brandi Shaffer

I have our YACHT OLIVIA (242) in our usual covered space, high up on a hill from any possible flooding. Yesterday, I went out to let the stabilizers down and unplug from power in case of any serious power surges, etc. I thought to myself, all these other RV's that will probably blow over or blow apart because they are not molded fiberglass, or are not inherently designed to withstand higher winds by their engineered shape. If I knew the winds were going to be higher in Bryan, I would have take extra precaution to fill up all the storage tanks for extra weight. We are mostly scheduled for lots of rain, which we have already received a lot of...

Cash - AKA Sitting Bull

http://www.shot-in-texas.com

Does anyone have any tips for the extreme humidity inside? AC is not helping. Feel wet and sticky. Yuck

The dinky little units will do nothing for comfort in the extreme conditions that you are experiencing. A medium capacity residential dehumidifier sitting on the bathroom floor, and directing the condensation down the shower drain will help. But you aren't going to find one easily for a long while. Do you even have shore power there?

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/dehumidifiers/buying-guide

One human respires over a gallon of moisture per day, and an open flame like your cooktop is even worse for putting vapor into the air. When it is 100% humidity outside you are pretty much screwed. Your towels and clothes don't dry... talk about frustrating.

Stay safe.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We live in Florida and during several months of the year, we experience what I would call extreme Humidity, but we really have not had much of a problem with the Humidity level inside of our trailer when we use the air conditioner. A couple of years ago, we spent Chrismas and New Years in the Florida keys and that was probably the most humid place that we have visited in our travels but still, humidity inside the trailer was not a problem. One lesson that we learned from some of our RV friends is to leave the window shades partially open which keeps condensation from building up on our inside windows, especially at night. This year while in Oregon and Washington state, it rained almost every day and we found some condensation under only one of our twin mattresses. It seems that this is a problem for many RVs and cruising boats, so we have ordered a mattress barrier to place under our mattresses.  https://www.mattressinsider.com/mattress-condensation-prevention.html  We will be using this for the first time on our upcoming trip to Cape Cod, in a couple of weeks. This product seems to get a very high rating from other RVers and Sailers, so we thought we would try it. We'll see how it works.

We wish all of you folks in the Houston area, our best wishes as you try to recover from the Harvey disaster.

We made it back to town. Minor damage. We were lucky that we didn't receive anywhere near what they were predicting. It was an adventure.  Hubby ended up being made commander of Texas State Guard as he wasn't called in because of evacuation status. JellyBean became headquarters!  Lol. We had shore power, a laptop, and hot spots from the phones.  Daughter is currently deployed to Houston as part of National Guard.

• Thanks 3

Brandi Shaffer

• Moderators

We dodged most of it too.  We have our son and family here since their neighborhood is under water. We also have their good friends here who also managed to get out at the last minute. 4 adults, 3 little kids and 3 big dogs. It's a party!  They've got some great stories about neighbors helping neighbors. It's hard to imagine what is happening just 3 hours away. Mike

• Thanks 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS