Micro-air EasyStart Installation Problem

bradbev

Just off the roof after trying to install the EasyStart.

Instructions say install on divider behind the tubing loop.  However they positioned the tubing so there's not enough room to fit.

I'll be calling Micro-air Monday and ask for suggestions.  However thought I'd ask here and see if anyone's experience this problem.

Bradbev

Micro-Air is a  member of the Forum.  As a engineer of Micro-Air, Matteo (Micro-Air) is able to offer technical advice to installations.  He was able to install a soft start for my Ollie at the last rally.  You can send a direct PM.

Good Luck

Hardrock

Matteo Giovanetti

Electrical & Controls Systems Engineer

Micro-Air, Inc.

• Thanks 1

Hello Bradbev. I believe I know what your issue might be, but before I make a suggestion, I need to confirm if you have the Dometic Penguin II model with the electric heat strip or if it is the heat pump version. I'm also assuming your trailer is newer than 2013, which means it would have the Dometic Penguin II. Let me know and I can provide the solution.

Technical Support
Micro-Air, Inc.

Matteo, Trailer is 2 months old with the Penguin II with heat strip.

The way the tubing is oriented,  the box won't fit in area suggested in P2 install document.  See photo of I can get it to post, in a limited cell area

Thanks,

Brad

20170826_152106.thumb.jpg.1d1c0bbf9f2ab4b363fe80cc8f431229.jpg

Brad - Thanks for providing the information. That is what I was suspecting.

Dometic ran the suction line tube in this corner using a slightly different pattern with the heat-strip model versus the heat-pump model since the destination is the compressor's accumulator versus the reversing valve, respectively. Sometimes the same interference happens even with the heat pump models. Having worked in the Dometic marine A/C factory for 10 years, I know from experience that soft copper tubes can be adjusted to a degree without any harm to them or the braze joints, providing it is done carefully and with the bend spread out over a long distance. In this case, The Penguin II has an elongated S-shaped or double-loop tube pattern that is an easy candidate for adjustment. This long pattern is meant to provide vibration isolation of the stationary portion of the tube (evaporator exit) with the vibrating portion of the tube (compressor accumulator). Also, you'll need to rotate the rubber vibration damper a little bit in order to provide some additional clearance. Make sure the vertical segments of the elongated S-shape stay vertical and none of the copper tubes contact the case of the EasyStart or anything else. When you do the actual adjustment, ensure that one hand is placed on the tube exiting the gray evaporator box (where the gray putty and 2 black wires are) to keep if from bending too much (avoid a kink), and then gently "twist" the elongated S-shape a bit at a time to move it into position. See the attached PDF document for details.

This type of minor tube adjustment is routine in the HVAC industry, so have no fear. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks again.

Dometic-Penguin-II-Suction-Line-Adjustment.pdf

Technical Support
Micro-Air, Inc.

• 1 month later...

My bud that doesn't mind tweaking things helped me finish the Installastion.  No one mentioned an optionsl installation kit that might have been helpfil, but we completed it and no smoke was released.

We had no fancy test equipment other than multi meters and a kill-a-watt . The test was before and after starting in econo mode. Before installing, the Honda started the compressor but acted like it could have easily stalled out

After, the Honda just smoothly ramped up to a higher speed without complaint.

My bud wasn't sold on the EasyStart,  now i think he may start saving his money for one.  He was impressed.

We're on the East coast at lower altitudes  and cooler ambient temperatures. Next test is when we start west next week.

• Thanks 1

The easy start should work great out west. I was worried the decrease in output due to high altitude would be a problem for the honda 2000.  I tested it at 8400 feet and it worked easily, starting the air conditioner without any noticeable strain. I did have the modification done to the generator for operating at above 5000 feet.   After seeing how easily it worked I am not sure that is necessary.

Yvonne

• Thanks 1

Yvonne & Doug

2017 Legacy Elite II, twin bed

Hull #223

2017 Ford F-250 Lariat, crew cab

• 9 months later...

I'm reviving this topic since I have another question relating to the heat strip model.  On these units, there is an extra white wire running from the start capacitor to the heat strip unit.  I assume when the start capacitor is removed that this wire gets attached directly to the C terminal of the run capacitor (since it's on the same terminal on the start cap as the other white wire that goes to the run cap C), but wanted to make sure and also post the issue in case anyone else runs across the same problem.

Here's the wiring diagram for my unit:

IMG_2202.thumb.jpg.adca37bd2d12c0043b253bc78dcd4ed7.jpg

Hi Overland.  You actually have two choices.  You can either remove the start cap/PTCR assembly and move the white wire you spoke of to the "C" terminal of the run cap.  Or, you can simply remove only the red wire on the opposite side of the start cap/PTCR, which will sufficiently defeat it, and leave both white wires connected to the opposite terminal of the start cap as shown in the diagram, which then preserves the daisy-chain connection of N/L2 to the electric heater.  We have a diagram that shows option #2 posted in our EasyStart™ Knowledge Bank.   The specific diagram is at this link.

• Thanks 3

Technical Support
Micro-Air, Inc.

Thanks for the quick reply Matteo. I actually ended up leaving the cap and wire in place so it’s good to learn I wasn’t nuts for doing so. I didn’t have time yesterday to test it out so hopefully today I’ll be able to get back out there and let it run through it’s learning cycles.

By the way I looked through those diagrams on your site but missed the heat strip one since it’s listed as a Penguin I model. Probably they just changed the name and cover but kept the same internals, or at least the same wiring scheme.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

Brad -

Matteo no longer works for Micro-air and PM's to his old contact on this Forum are not monitored with any great frequency.  I would suggest an email or call to the company for assistance.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"