Where To Stay Near NYC

bradbev

After leaving Hohenwald last week, we headed NE  We stopped in Kentucky and now at Gettysburg.  Leaving tomorrow for Philadelphia.

After Philadelphia,  we want to visit NYC. At a loss of where to stay. Only listing I see is Liberty Harbor in NJ but recent reviews are terrible.  Can anyone offer advice of other options?  Will want to leave rig the rig unattended for a couple of days and take public transportation into the city.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

I honestly would not want to stay there, either.

Is your cg in Philadelphia anywhere near the train station? And parking. If so, Amtrak has an Express train from Philly to Penn station, a little over an hour commute.

I'd stay in Philadelphia, if it were me. All the decent campgrounds in nj I've seen are at least 30 minutes from a train station,then at least an hour to Penn.

Good news for you. Penn station reopens to full schedule next week. Renovations should be completed. I'd still recommend Friday to Monday travels.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Another thought, though more expensive than camping, is to locate a motel near the Newark or Iselin station, and stay there.

It's still an hour or so to Penn. But you have lots of room and a huge shower, compared to our Olivers.

Motels in nj are half or less the NYC price.

I like the Iselin station. Clean, easy. Unless something changed, could only buy tickets on the lower floor.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

There's not much around NYC. Just north of the city is a state park, Beaver Park Campground. It's just off the Pallisades Parkway (Hwy 9W) near Big Bear Mountain.  Probably 30 or 40 minute drive down the parkway to Tappan Zee bridge across the Hudson into the city. There's also a park on the other side of the Hudson at Croton Park. The area just north of NYC is scenic in the fall. We were there last October.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

You could try Floyd Bennet Field, while they only have 9 RV sites, they have no hookups, so that might minimize demand, and they don't allow tent camping in the spots, which is most of the park, so they won't be occupied by them. It's on the south side of Brooklyn.

https://www.nps.gov/gate/planyourvisit/camp-at-fbf.htm

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Thanks for the suggestions.  FYI, we're staying at Campus Park and Ride in Philidelphia.  It's a old trucking terminal used by the hospital for parking. Nothing but concrete but secure and free bus to hospital then free bus for seniors on into town.  Friendly staff.  Google it or look at rvparksreviews.  For us Olivers, it works out about $53 per night ( $30 for rig, $13 for tow plus about $10 tax).

It's a good deal to see the city.

Thanks for the suggestions. FYI, we’re staying at Campus Park and Ride in Philidelphia. It’s a old trucking terminal used by the hospital for parking. Nothing but concrete but secure and free bus to hospital then free bus for seniors on into town. Friendly staff. Google it or look at rvparksreviews. For us Olivers, it works out about $53 per night ( $30 for rig, $13 for tow plus about $10 tax). It’s a good deal to see the city.

Small world. My wife and I are leaving NE Florida Friday morning, and we plan to spend several nights at the Campus Park and Ride. We never make reservations, so hopefully, we want have a problem getting a space.  However, this all depends on what happens with Hurricane Erma that's looming in the Atlantic. We live on a small island in NE Florida so we may be just using the Oliver as an escape pod. Hopefully, we will see you along the way.

Hap

• Moderators

Never stayed there, but campus Park

N ride, according to Google maps, puts you 3 miles and ten minutes from Philadelphias 30th Street station. From there, the Amtrak express train is about an hour from NYC Penn station.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

We came into Campus Park and Ride without a reservation after calling to check on how full they were.  Didn't need them, however today quite a few rigs here, so I'd suggest you give them a call.

When you get here, they'll give you a sheet telling you how to use the bus system.  We used it today and had I read the instructions better, there'd be no issues, but we muddled through it and got back home.

"We don't need no stinkin' instructions".

• Thanks 2