Anderson No Sway Hitch PROBLEMS!!! Revisited - Sorry.

ccarole

Purchased my Oliver last year. On day two of my drive home from pick up my Anderson hitch started grinding very loudly - enough to feel the vibration of it in my truck. After checking it out it was noted that one side of the hitch tension was very tight and the other very loose. Adjusted for even tension - tensions became uneven again and the grinding. Took it to an RV place and a worker their said he loved the Anderson hitch and new all about them. He adjusted it. Worked fine for about a day. Back to the same problems. Anderson informed me that the hitches often have problems if they get wet. It hadn't been rained on or gotten wet. I had been in some heavy winds just before these problems arose. Had many emails with a representative from Anderson and I've taken the hitch on and off multiple times paying very specific attention to details and sending detailed photos. I never resolved the problem. Andersons final solution to me was to just take the hitch off and not use it.

My frustration with the whole thing caused  my to park my trailer away. I'm going to pull it out now and live in it full time for awhile. I would like to get the hitch problem solved.

Does anybody know anyone in the western states that has worked with these?  My local Campers World said they have never heard of the hitch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have dreaded trying to work this out again - I was so disgusted with it previously.

Thank you.

Carole ....and a couple of Malinois

2016 Legacy Elite II #175

2016 Ram 2500 

You don't say what your tow vehicle is.  Are you sure you need weight distribution or anti-sway for some reason?  Your story is not uncommon as there has been a lot of trouble with the Anderson hitches.

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Hi John,

Thank you for the quick reply.

It has been told to me that I don't need the Anderson hitch - that my tow vehicle is large enough. I plan to be pulling through mountain passes and gorges so would like the extra security of a no sway hitch.  I did spend a lot of money on it so I could have the extra security.

So the question is  trying to find someone that understands this hitch and may be able to  find a problem that neither I or the Anderson rep could figure out.  :-)

Thanks!

2016 Ram 2500 

The problem you describe is not something that requires an expert to figure out.  It is a common problem with these.  The friction system starts to seize up and makes a lot of noise as it swivels and binds.  One chain can appear to be tighter, but they are always in balance and the difference is the excessive friction from turning.  So much force is needed to make it move when turning that is makes a lot of noise.   I don't think the chains were uneven, just the friction clutch was seizing up and when it was looked at one of the chains was tighter because it had not centered itself.

Anderson has been sending out a lot of warrantee replacements, but some people have had three replacements and the problem is still not fixed.  Call them and they should send you a replacement that will last for a little while.

I understand you wanting the extra security of aftermarket sway control, but that doesn't mean you'll get it from the Anderson hitch.  Maybe, but they are not ironed out yet and they are trying to fix a problem that Olivers don't have.  There have even been cases where trucks were more unstable because the Anderson conflicted with the truck's stability system and Anderson recommended to shut of the stability control!

I suspect there are other anti-away devices that would be better, and ones that are adjustable.  You are in an awkward situation where you think you need it, but it doesn't work right.  An Anderson came with my Ollie (got mine used), but I've never used it and I've never had the trailer do anything that felt unstable in any way.

Good luck with solving your issue.

• Thanks 1

John

Thanks John for your thoughts.

The chains sure seemed at different tensions. One was completely straight and I could stand and jump on it with no movement of the chain. The other on will hang loosely towards the ground and easily swing around..............the truck and trailer are lined up straight. The triangle plate will start out in line with the truck as it should be after resetting everything - then I drive/turn and the triangle plate would not be aligned anymore .....with the tension out of wack as expected with the incorrect angle of the triangle. Yes, it comes out of center at turns but will not center itself back into alignment when the truck and trailer are in a straight line. Have you used yours at all?  It may be difficult for you to picture what I am describing if you haven't really checked one out.

Yes I've read not to use a no sway hitch if your truck has no sway capabilities. My truck does not have that.

Oliver kindly sent me a new ball and friction cone. The same problem occurs. So I will assume it's not the ball and friction cone.

From what I understand there aren't any other no sway hitches that will fit on the Oliver. That's why they have the Anderson.

It's clear you think it's unnecessary for me to use a no sway hitch. But I would still like to know if anyone knows of someone in the western states that may be familiar with this hitch.

Thank you!

2016 Ram 2500 

It would be nice to know what your tow vehicle is Carol.  I have an old Ford F-250 diesel and I have pulled the Ollie at least 75 mph for short distances and I've had no trouble at all; and I don't use the Anderson hitch.  The Ollies are perfectly lined up and really don't need a sway hitch?, I don't think.  Do you have the Legacy Elite or the Legacy Elite II?  The real reason for hitches of this type is to transfer weight from the tongue (rear of your vehicle) to put weight evenly on all four wheels or your tow vehicle.   You can do this by using airbags that keep your tow vehicle level when you put the extra 340# for the Elite and 460# of tongue weight and there are other methods too so you might want to visit an auto/truck springs and suspension shop.  If you don't really need the Anderson No Sway Hitch it will cause you more problems than if you didn't use it at all.   An experienced Ollie person who knows a lot about traveling with an Ollie is Lee Slusher on Oliver Trailer Owners site.  He and his buddy traveled 46,000 miles with their Ollies last year. I don't think he uses the Anderson hitch though.  I think it's causing you more trouble than it's worth.  Sell it!  OK, give me 2¢!   Actually, I thought it was junk when I first saw it.  My brother's sway hitch on a 7500# trailer is solid steel bars and is much stronger and more secure if you end up really needing an equalizer hitch.     Curt Equalizer Hitch  

Just my humble opinion worth 2.5¢.

Here is how the hitch is supposed to work.  Please scroll down and read this article. 

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/how-equalizer-works

• Thanks 1

J-Rhett

Oliver Legacy Elite II (Irog)

1995 Ford F-250 x4 Turbo Diesel

Trek Bikes, Hobie Cat Kayak

Let's just call it a personal challenge for me. I would like to be able to use it and trouble shoot it.

Still looking for someone in the western states that might want to check it out with me!

Thanks John!

Carole

2016 Ram 2500 

Since the triangle plate pivots and is held in position by the chains, the only way I can see there being a difference in chains individual tensions is because of  the friction in the cone.  Imagine if there was no friction in the cone and you'll see what I mean.  The chains would always be equal in tension.  But the tighter the friction the more the chains become unequal as the vehicle turns.  If you stop while making a turn, even a slight one, the chains will be a different tension.  This is normal.  The difference in tension is caused by the resistance to turning the friction clutch.  The failure is that the friction gets so high that it causes other problems and makes a lot of noise.  At that point the chain tension difference would be extreme and adjusting them completely misses the point.

One other problem the system has is the brackets that are at the other end of the chains on the trailer tongue.   They have to be right or they will slip, which would cause the chain tension to be reduced and the plate to be crooked when parked straight.  That would first mean less weight distribution and a crooked plate if only one slipped.  The brackets are a poor design in my estimation and must be set to bind on the frame rail and must have a set screw  tightened into the frame.

I believe your problem with the Anderson will not be solved until they re-design their friction system and come up with something that is actually better.   I'm sure they are not happy about all the problems, but the product was not thoroughly tested before going on the market.   They seem to have made minor material changes, but they are not there yet.  The other oddity about them is that, apparently,  the amount of friction you get is reliant on the amount of weight distribution you dial in.  Those two functions should be independent of each other.

Remember, the Anderson has two functions.  Weight distributing and sway control.  Separate functions, but ones that are tied together.  If you only want sway control, there are other brands out there. The only problem with the other brands is that they will require some cutting of the fiberglass shroud that lays over the frame in front of the propane bottles.  In my thinking, this is a small price to pay for a well proven setup that would be adjustable.  But again, I don't need it on mine.

Oh, there is one other one.  An electronic unit that senses sway and applies the brakes as needed to correct it.  Off the top of my head I can't remember the name, but they seem to be very good and they just plug in to operate.  It mounts near the front of the trailer and plugs into your trailer plug.    Then another plug goes to your seven pin plug on the tow vehicle.   I'll find the name and send it to you.  That might be the answer to your concern.

Where are you located?

• Thanks 1

John

Oh, there is one other one. An electronic unit that senses sway and applies the brakes as needed to correct it. Off the top of my head I can’t remember the name, but they seem to be very good and they just plug in to operate. It mounts near the front of the trailer and plugs into your trailer plug. Then another plug goes to your seven pin plug on the tow vehicle. I’ll find the name and send it to you. That might be the answer to your concern. Where are you located.

We're using a Hayes Swaymaster electronic sway control with our Elite II with good results without WDH.

• Thanks 2

LE2

Oh, there is one other one. An electronic unit that senses sway and applies the brakes as needed to correct it. Off the top of my head I can’t remember the name, but they seem to be very good and they just plug in to operate. It mounts near the front of the trailer and plugs into your trailer plug. Then another plug goes to your seven pin plug on the tow vehicle. I’ll find the name and send it to you. That might be the answer to your concern. Where are you located.

We’re using a Hayes Swaymaster electronic sway control with our Elite II with good results without WDH. /quote]

That's the one I was trying to remember.  Thanks Bill!

• Thanks 1

John

Carole,

Some good ideas being expressed here, but you still haven't specified your TV, or which Oliver you own. This is important information if you want folks to help you.

If you don't need the AH, why stress yourself? Be happy you don't need the extra hassle during hitch up. These Olivers tow very well. They are narrow and are nicely rounded, especially the frontal area. They are also relatively light in the tongue. I am passed routinely by large semis and don't feel a thing. Crosswinds are also a non issue. But I have a 3/4 ton van and tow the little Elite. From all I have read, the AH still needs more R&D, but since I never needed one, I didn't give them too much thought. If your TV requires a WDH, then knowing your Trailer/TV combo will help others help you.

Dave

• Thanks 1

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

• Moderators

Its interesting to me that the only people posting in response to ccarole are those who are not using the Andersen.  Well, I do use it and have been very satisfied with its performance with the exception of the noise issue.  There are a couple of videos on the Andersen website that may help - in the understanding of things that might be causing the problem.

It seems to me that without an actual visual inspection it would be very difficult to diagnose the problem.  However, short of that, the real people to talk to are the experts - Andersen.  Ccarole should either PM Sage here on the Forum or (better) contact Andersen https://andersenhitches.com

If they can't help over the phone or email then I'm sure that they could find the nearest people that could help.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Like Bill, we use the Andersen and like it. Not much detail to go on here, but it sounds like an adjustment or set up issue. I'd send a PM to Sage, he was quick to respond to me when I had questions. Mike

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thank you everybody for all the helpful suggestions ) John,  J-Rhett, Ride and Fly, and Dave. Wow - what a great group!

I've had this hitch off and on so many times without success - I need up close personal help!  :-)  I know it can be a good hitch - -as folks like Bill, Mike and Carol have expressed. Hey, I might as well try to work it out instead of leaving it in a box in storage! I'm sure it's just some little thing I'm overlooking that an experienced eye will see right away.

I will try the contacts suggested to me by Bill, Mike and Carol.

Thank you!

Carole

1031161050_HDR-2017-09-11T19_50_12_690.thumb.jpg.40f81c90690538839e972526ddea5deb.jpg

2016 Ram 2500 

Mike,

Sage has seen all the photos - when hooked up properly and when it's gone bad - as a whole and all the individual parts. He couldn't figure the problem. It gets hooked up properly  - I've got that down pat  ;-).....- it just goes bad when used.  Just need someone to see it work in real time.

Thanks Mike.

2016 Ram 2500 

I included the anderson hitch when we picked up elite II in nov.2016 . Never had a problem with sway or cone noise...    I tow with 2017 F150 max tow  with sway control on and use ford brake controller... Note:  always have tv and trailer in straight line before disconnecting anderson hitch. I do grease ball in bulldog coupler..    Hope this helps..

• Thanks 1

Hi Mustang,

Thank you for your input. Yep keep it in straight line when unhooking - and keep it in a straight line when hooking up. --- and it's about the triangle plate position too - my triangle plate unfortunately has a mind of it's own. It's not a team player.  ;-)

I think Anderson recommends not greasing the bulldog coupler - if my memory serves me correct.

Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Happy trailering!  :-)

2016 Ram 2500