Blue Sky solar

ccarole

Carole:

If you go the The Oliver University, and download the Owner's Manual for the 2016 Oliver, you'll see in its table of contents the section that covers the Blue Sky IPN Pro-Remote.  Read the section on the"top menu",  which lead you through the data available at that level.  In particular, it will show you "battery capacity" and "number of days since 100% charged".  That will tell you on a day to day basis whether the solar panels are charging the batteries.  If you see that your battery capacity is declining from one day to the next, then something is amiss.  Your battery voltage will also drop over time if that's the case.  Best of luck.  Let us know if that works, or not.

Russ Caslin

Russ & Mary Caslin

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0L diesel

2021 Tundra SR5 Double Cab 5.7 V8

image.png.6c46b7d70855cd1c9364e28641ce0762.png AZARCOFLGAIDILKYLAMIMOMTNMNCOKSCTNTXUTWYmed.jpg

Thanks Russ,

I'll do some studying and see if I can figure things out.

My Blue Sky doesn't show me any of those numbers, that's my problem. It will only show the Volt Amp# @ -0.8.  It used to show me all those numbers - then I let my batteries go dead and those mysterious numbers have not returned.  Some folks here thought the numbers might return after panels being in the sun for a few days.

Carole ....and a couple of Malinois

2016 Legacy Elite II #175

2016 Ram 2500 

Carole:

I suggest you contact Blue Sky directly.  Ryan Gurin has been very helpful. His email: Ryan@BlueSkyEnergyInc.com

Direct #: 760-208-2149.

Russ Caslin

Russ & Mary Caslin

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 3.0L diesel

2021 Tundra SR5 Double Cab 5.7 V8

image.png.6c46b7d70855cd1c9364e28641ce0762.png AZARCOFLGAIDILKYLAMIMOMTNMNCOKSCTNTXUTWYmed.jpg

Solution awesomeness!!!  Ryan is an expert with  this product and is a pro at remotely helping  with very detailed step by step instructions.

So anyone looking for help along these lines......

First try disconnecting and reconnecting the phone cord in the IPN Pro Remote.  If this does not solve the problem.......

Then - go to you 2512 Blue Sky control under your seat storage. Remove front panel. Disconnect and reconnect the Positive Battery Output Wire (Red wire and one closest to empty screw). *This was my magic point.*  Solar panel charge lights came back on and number indicators available on IPN Pro Remote.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Thanks for everybodys' input!!!

Happy girl,

Carole

• Thanks 3

2016 Ram 2500 

• 3 weeks later...

It turns out my controller has never been working. Ryan at Blue Sky told me to disconnect the controller box and send to him so he can fix it.

How do I disconnect my battery power to the trailer so I can do this without worrying about wires touching?  I will cover them with electric tape but there are little holes they all have to be pulled through to remove the box and I think just cutting off my power will be the safest strategy.

Carole

20171103_161736.thumb.jpg.4560eacb075e5e8a03d2d2fb46a3b3cd.jpg

jJewWJNsrmF__SAMCwBZ1Gfgy7TcV5o7jrOagsSKNZMpX92IB.thumb.jpg.25f85ba5c35d233e67fc73379c74778b.jpg

Carole

2016 Ram 2500 

• Moderators

Carole, we had the same problem. The way the controller was installed bent the four big cables enough that there was too much pressure on the circuit board. Read through the thread at the bottom.

To disconnect the controller from power turn the big red knob to off and pop the two circuit breakers. Buzzy explains where they are in his video on the thread. I had mine back in about a week. Then, bend the connectors 90 degrees like in the photos before reinstalling. Our solar works like a champ now. Mike

Read through this thread:

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/solar-charger-not-working-hull-178-blue-sky-system/

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thank you Mike and Carole !

I had watched that video which is very helpful. I may just be dense ..... the Red Knob turns off power to the controller box - does it turn off power from the batteries to the trailer? (this would also be helpful to know to turn off ghost draws from power when desired)  It looks/seems to me that a couple of those red and black cords may be connected to the batteries - so wouldn't they still have power even if the Red Knob is turned off?

My set up looks slightly different than Buzz's. Are my breakers under the square red rubber cap in the picture?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

2016 Ram 2500 

Hi Carole,

Sorry to hear of your controller issue but not surprised.  Our Olivers were too close in the factory process for ours to have an installation problem and yours not have it.  Dang it!  Anyway, I agree with what Mike has said and from looking at your pictures you have the same condition that our unit had.  Ryan will have you bend the connectors 90 degrees to relieve the stress condition that is put on the controller with the connectors straight.  The good news is that once you go through this exercise you should have a functional system that does a great job keeping your batteries charged.  We have been quite pleased with our Blue Sky system and AGM batteries since we resolved the controller cables issue.

If you have a multimeter you can use it to check for voltage at the connectors before connecting or disconnecting wires.  The big red switch/knob and circuit breakers, once depowered, can remain that way until you get the controller reinstalled.  Ryan can probably talk you through the power up sequence.  It is not instantaneous, and takes a bit of time for the controller to sort out battery state, solar input, etc.

Let us know how it all works out.

George

• Thanks 1

George and Gretchen

Gig Harbor, Wa.

Hull Number 178

Thanks George !  Did you send your unit in to Ryan? ...or did you just bend the connectors?  Ryan said he was going to be doing some soldering work on my unit.

Where are the circuit breakers??! My unit set up looks different than the video referred to.

2016 Ram 2500 

• Moderators

Carole, whenever I would remove the controller from the box everything worked.  I may have been able to just bend the connectors 90 degrees and reinstalled it, but went with Ryan’s recommendation to send it to him for testing and repair.

Once I turned the knob off and popped the two breakers I did cover each connector with tape as I disconnected them. I didn’t try to completely disconnect the batteries from the trailer.   Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Carole,

I did send my controller back to Ryan for repair.  He had a very quick turn around time to get it back.

The big red knob shuts off power coming from the solar array to the controller so with it positioned to OFF that kills incoming power.  The other red cable coming out of the controller has an inline circuit breaker at the other end of the cable. It has a little lever that when moved to its other position breaks the circuit and shuts off power going to the batteries and the battery power from reverse feeding the controller.  The 2 black cables are for the ground path of the circuit and I think the one coming from battery side has a circuit breaker too that can be opened. (That part is from memory of when I did it last Spring).  Take a look at your installation and see if what I have said is similar to what you see.  I can take pictures tomorrow and post them if you would like further clarification.  The 2 "hot" wires are the red ones.

George

• Thanks 3

George and Gretchen

Gig Harbor, Wa.

Hull Number 178

• Moderators

Carole,

As outlined above, the simplest way to disconnect is to turn the red knob to off and "trip" (the little yellow flag should pop out) those two circuit breakers.  However, if you are still concerned, disconnecting the batteries is not difficult.

Open the battery compartment on the outside and slide out the battery tray.  Since you have the solar option, I assume that you have four batteries in that compartment.  On the front left battery you should see a rather large black cable attached to the front left terminal on that battery.  Simply take that cable off the battery but make sure that it does NOT touch any other terminal or anything metal inside the battery compartment.

When reattaching this cable you might hear or see a small spark - do not worry about this.  Just make sure that the connection is tight and all wires are back into the same position they were in prior to disconnect (helps to take a picture so that you don't have to remember).

Bill

edit:  When re-attaching the cable I'd do the re-attachment before resetting the circuit breakers and turning the red knob back to "on".

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thank you George and Bill  !!

I'll look again for my circuit breakers - I'll be rolling my eyes at myself when I finally do see them and how obvious they will then seem. :-)

Love knowing how to disconnect the batteries.  I think that will be useful in certain instances.

You guys are the best - thank you for all the assistance!

2016 Ram 2500