We're Placing Our Order this Week! A Few Questions ...

Alison

Hello Ollie Owners,

I've been stalking these boards for months, learning all I can about the Oliver Trailers.  After lots of research, my hubby and I have decided to get an Oliver, for June 2018 pickup.  This will be our first camper trailer, so there is a steep learning curve.  I've found a lot of answers and help searching these boards, but there are a few questions I haven't been able to answer.  By way of background, in the near future we will be using our Ollie mainly in the summer and fall, for weekend camping and probably one or two week-long trips per summer. We usually camp in campgrounds without hookups or boondock. We live in the foothills of Colorado. Any advice you can offer is deeply appreciated!

1. Trying to decide between the Trojan T-105 and the Trojan Reliant AGM batteries.  Is the only advantage of the AGM the fact that you don't have to check water levels regularly? It appears that the T-105s have more AHs, weigh less, last longer if cared for properly, and cost less.  Am I missing something? Is checking the water levels so onerous that it justifies the higher cost and lower AHs?

2. On one of the forum posts, I read something where someone recommended a "heavy duty greaseable suspension upgrade" and not going with the EZ Flex Suspension System. We traverse some pretty rough dirt roads here in Colorado to get to our campsites and one of the main reasons we chose the Oliver is its "toughness" factor.  Are users happy with their EZ Flex systems, or do you not recommend them? This question of the right suspension has been one of the hardest to get my head around.

3. Does anyone out there use a Ford Expedition to tow your Oliver? We are also getting a new tow vehicle and are currently planning on picking up the new Ford Expedition when it is released this fall. I know trucks are the best choice for towing, but an SUV meets our other family needs (kids, dogs, etc.) better.

Thank you in advance for your time and any wisdom you care to share!

Alison & Ross, future Ollie Owners!

Alison, Ross & Annika

Hull No. 310

• Moderator+
...Trying to decide between the Trojan T-105 and the Trojan Reliant AGM batteries. Is the only advantage of the AGM the fact that you don’t have to check water levels regularly? It appears that the T-105s have more AHs, weigh less, last longer if cared for properly, and cost less. Am I missing something? Is checking the water levels so onerous that it justifies the higher cost and lower AHs?...

You are correct about more amp hours, but realistically there are only 25 more usable.  This would work out to about one nights use.

You are correct about the weight T-105's weigh 62 lbs, AGM's weigh 65 lbs. That is 12 pounds difference, I doubt you could tell the difference.

You do have to check the water levels in the T-105's.  Is it "...so onerous that it justifies the higher cost and lower AHs?..." to me, absolutely!!!

...On one of the forum posts, I read something where someone recommended a “heavy duty greaseable suspension upgrade” and not going with the EZ Flex Suspension System. We traverse some pretty rough dirt roads here in Colorado to get to our campsites and one of the main reasons we chose the Oliver is its “toughness” factor. Are users happy with their EZ Flex systems, or do you not recommend them? This question of the right suspension has been one of the hardest to get my head around...

Both of these systems include greasable wet bolts, the difference is the heavy duty compression rubber in the center of the equalizer in the EZ-Flex. Most of us have the EZ-Flex, but some have suggested the other one. I think the choice boils down to personal preference, but you should definitely opt for one of them.  I installed the EZ-Flex after delivery (my trailer is the earliest one built-no available options at the time) and having the factory do the work is the way to go.

Sorry I can't help you with your tow vehicle question.

Congratulations on your new Oliver and welcome to the club.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Checking the water levels and adding water is no big deal. I also bought the Hydrolink watering system for resale value and honestly, it is nice and a clean way to fill the batteries but only needing to use it every 3 to 6 months kind of defeats the purpose. I would by the Hydrolink again myself though just for ease of use, but realistically it's not needed :)

As far as the Expedition goes, with a 6600lb towing capacity, there are better choices out there like the Lincoln Navigator with a 7700lb towing capacity if you like the Ford style or we really love our Mercedes and a Mercedes GL would be the Expedition equivalent but with a 7500lb tow capacity. Personally, I would buy the Lincoln over the Ford because of the much higher towing capacity.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

We too thought we wanted an SUV to accommodate more people, dogs, and cargo. We thought we would trade in our Toyota 4Runner for a Sequoia. (Loyal Toyota owners here.) However, we decided on the less expensive and perhaps better towing capacity option of a Toyota Tundra extended cab and purchased a camper shell to cover the bed of the truck. We are happy with the result.

• Thanks 1

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

Thanks for the input on the battery!  The 2018 Ford Expedition actually has a tow capacity of 9,300 lbs, unless I'm really misreading the specs!  It's one of the reasons we chose the Ford. I think the current Expedition is 9,200 lbs.  Yeah, I defintely wouldn't want an SUV that could tow only 6,600.  I'd love the Mercedes that you have, but I suspect it might be out of my price range. :)

Alison, Ross & Annika

Hull No. 310

Thanks for the feedback! I think we'll go with the EZ-Flex since it is standard now- happy to hear lots of people have it and like it.

We are very excited to pick up our Ollie next summer!  Okay, I'm more excited that my hubby, but he'll come around!

Alison

Alison, Ross & Annika

Hull No. 310

Thanks for the input on the battery! The 2018 Ford Expedition actually has a tow capacity of 9,300 lbs, unless I’m really misreading the specs! It’s one of the reasons we chose the Ford. I think the current Expedition is 9,200 lbs. Yeah, I defintely wouldn’t want an SUV that could tow only 6,600. I’d love the Mercedes that you have, but I suspect it might be out of my price range. ????

Properly equipped, with a weight distribution hitch, 9300 seems correct. 1000lbs more than the navigator. Looks like an excellent choice.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• Moderators

Congratulations on taking your time to make a good decision for what is right for you. We did a ton of research and looking, too, before we decided on the Oliver almost ten years ago.

cant help on axle decisions, but I can speak from experience on agm vs flooded batteries.

My vote, and experience, is also for agm batteries. Not just because you don't have to add water. Bulk charging is faster. Discharge more slowly in storage. Don't freeze as easily. Don't leak. The liquid is in the mat. Gases are exchanged within the battery, so, technically, some say they don't even have to be vented. Kind of nice to think that, anyway, since we sleep with our heads above the battery box...Without the gas exchange, I've read there is less opportunity for corrosion at the connectors.

You don't have to, and should not, from what i understand, equalize agm batteries. We never ran equalizing on ours, and I think our first set of agms lasted six or seven years. We run almost exclusively on solar.

There's not much of a price difference now, as there was years ago. We'll never go back to flooded batteries.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks for the input on the battery! The 2018 Ford Expedition actually has a tow capacity of 9,300 lbs, unless I’m really misreading the specs! It’s one of the reasons we chose the Ford. I think the current Expedition is 9,200 lbs. Yeah, I defintely wouldn’t want an SUV that could tow only 6,600. I’d love the Mercedes that you have, but I suspect it might be out of my price range. ????

It's only 9300lbs with a weight distribution hitch, without its 6400lbs now give or take :)

Screenshot_2017-09-18-19-54-23.thumb.png.3da87ecdcaeb834ae8a18c228c2cb5e5.png

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Congratulations on taking your time to make a good decision for what is right for you. We did a ton of research and looking, too, before we decided on the Oliver almost ten years ago. cant help on axle decisions, but I can speak from experience on agm vs flooded batteries. My vote, and experience, is also for agm batteries. Not just because you don’t have to add water. Bulk charging is faster. Discharge more slowly in storage. Don’t freeze as easily. Don’t leak. The liquid is in the mat. Gases are exchanged within the battery, so, technically, some say they don’t even have to be vented. Kind of nice to think that, anyway, since we sleep with our heads above the battery box…Without the gas exchange, I’ve read there is less opportunity for corrosion at the connectors. You don’t have to, and should not, from what i understand, equalize agm batteries. We never ran equalizing on ours, and I think our first set of agms lasted six or seven years. We run almost exclusively on solar. There’s not much of a price difference now, as there was years ago. We’ll never go back to flooded batteries. Sherry

That is hugely helpful, thanks! I didn't realize they charge faster and are more freeze resistant- those are both big selling points for us, as we also plan to be mostly solar, and we live at 8400 feet, with plans to camp in the swing seasons.

Alison, Ross & Annika

Hull No. 310

How many kids? If only a couple, consider a used Land Cruiser 200, they are luscious, capable and tow very well. The 2014s coming off lease are selling for about $40k. Here's mine with Mouse, about an hour ago.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.ff44f18e887f7168815ba105a0036178.jpg

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/towing-with-a-200-series-toyota-land-cruiser.932343/

But since you live at 8400 feet you REALLY need a turbo diesel or gas engine. Unless you want to add a supercharger to a Cruiser.... which is not a problem.

Add me to the No Maintenance AGM Battery Club - until the lithium iron batteries get more affordable, these are the best choice.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

How many kids? If only a couple, consider a used Land Cruiser 200, they are luscious, capable and tow very well. The 2014s coming off lease are selling for about $40k. Here’s mine with Mouse, about an hour ago. FullSizeRender https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/towing-with-a-200-series-toyota-land-cruiser.932343/ But since you live at 8400 feet you REALLY need a turbo diesel or gas engine. Unless you want to add one to a Cruiser…. which is not a problem. Add me to the No Maintenance AGM Battery Club – until the lithium iron batteries get more affordable, these are the best choice. John Davies Spokane WA

I've been convinced, an AGM battery for us!

On the TV, we only have one kid, one dog, and a LandCruiser would work great for that.  But we also plan to use the SUV as a plow vehicle when our old Suburban bites the dust. We already have a Volvo XC60, which meets our "crossover/small SUV" needs, so my hubby wants something big for plowing, lugging things around, and hauling large items like rafts when we do long rafting trips.

Alison, Ross & Annika

Hull No. 310

We have a Ram 2500 4 X 4 as a tow vehicle. While we initially got it to plow a mile long 'drive', it makes a great tow vehicle. The 6.4 engine kinda just cruises going down the road. It will seat 6 people, (3 and a dog) real comfortable. The creature comforts are much greater than in the Mercedes sedan we got, so we didn't have to take the plow off. Sitting up higher, you get better ground clearance, can see further down the road to be able to avoid potential problems, and you can really load it up. I initially put a roll up tonneau cover on it so that I could see behind me. But with the trailer on you can't see out back anyway. Think we will end up putting a cap on so that we can also carry a canoe or a couple of kayaks while camping, or ladders, or material when not. The big standard mirrors let me see down the sides of the trailer without any cumbersome shakey extensions. The only downside is that it is a big vehicle. With the trailer on we park at the back of most lots, and they tell me the extra  walking is good for me.

• Thanks 2