Foul weather camping

SeaDawg

• Moderators

We've all been there.

That beautiful blue sky turns chunky and grey, or worse.

For a mild rainstorm, we crank the awning in to a valance, or all the way in. I don't enjoy tv, so I grab a book and an LED lamp. Paul may watch a movie, or grab a nap.

Seems like every time we have tent campers at our NC property, we get some rainstorms. Lots of fun to crowd 8 or 9 people under a sliver of the Ollie awning. Lol.

What's your foul weather plan?

If it's a long range rain forecast, we just hook up and go.

The trailer has wheels for many reasons.

Sherry

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

There are those times when a rainy day is actually welcome - after a really long hike the day before, after many days on the road, after 5 or 6 straight days of slogging up a mountain stream in search of trout.  It gives one a chance to listen to the forest, read that book, watch a movie, listen to books on "tape" (which always leads to a nap or two), clean house/repair "stuff", actually cook a decent meal, etc.  However, after one of these days I'm more than ready to get going again - one way or the other!

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

We like to read or play cards.

We were camping in Cody WY area less than 5 years ago on 9/11. Woke up and it had snowed 4 to 6" overnight. That stopped our exploring plans for the day, so we visited the Buffalo Bill Center of the West Museum, spent the complete day there and really enjoyed it. We had not planned to visit the Museum and happy it snowed changing our plans.

https://centerofthewest.org/

IMG_4227-L.jpg

IMG_4275-L.jpg

IMG_4274-L.jpg

IMG_4272-L.jpg

IMG_4270-L.jpg

• Thanks 3

LE2

• Moderators

Rideandfly - is that the first Oliver in your pictures above?  ScubaRx should know in that he is our historian and was around back then.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Rain is what convinced us to buy the Elite II... After 30 days of rain on the Oregon Coast, we really needed something bigger then our Casita, but otherwise rain doesn't really slow us down that much. Depending on the wind that comes with it, our awning will be full out and tied down if needed or out just enough to keep it from blowing off. Rainy days are something that we really enjoy because with everything wet, the colors are always amazing. So mostly we go for drives, see new things and leave the trailer secured for the weather. It's rained and snowed a bunch so far on Goldilocks and we have never been bored. We play cards and hunker down if it's really windy with the rain but that's unusual. We've had it snow a few times so far and that may set us back a day sometimes, but chaining up and keeping our plans is always an option. I have not bought the cables to put on the Olli yet and that time of year is here. We got our first snow of the year on the last day of summer, the 20th, but it was just a dusting and melted off quickly. It was 35° here last night and we were comfy and cozy here in our Olli :)

What kind of tire cables do you use on your trailer?

Reed

Reed

• Thanks 2

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Would be interested to learn about your choice of cables for the Ollie, when you decide. Thanks,

That is pretty off topic, so I started a new thread here....

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/towing-in-winter-chains-etc/

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We were spending time in the Ollie with heavy rains while having a camper issue last year. Had internet connection,  used time researching this forum finding answers in old forum threads.  Will take care of camper projects if I have needed tools and parts when we have downtime.  Also use extra time for route planning since we are route flexible on long trips. For us always plenty to do in addition to reading or playing cards.  :)

LE2