Factory Responses

tigrrr

Hello Folks,

I think everyone who reads these pages can agree that the Oliver is a wonderful product. Cutting edge technology, and the factory has been responsive to the needs of the customer. Your wish is their desire, if you will. And these pages can be a wonder source of information. But also a source of misinformation. And this misinformation can potentially hurt Olivers bottom line. And I think no one would want that.

If we have a question, I guess we could always call the factory. But it seems the response would reach more people if the factory called us. I mean by this, if the factory had a rep whose job it was to answer questions in these pages in a timely manner. Good information is a wonderful thing. I find other peoples' questions interesting and the responses informative. I have learned a lot about travel trailers in these pages over the last few weeks. You people, are an informed group. But to stay informed we need timely answers to our questions. And it has been almost two weeks since I posed one of my questions, without a response.

This must be a very busy season for Oliver. With the growing demand for their product,dealing with the increased cost of doing business, and trying to setup their dealer network, they must feel swamped at times. So as they say "patience is a virtue".

I would love to hear other peoples ideas as to how we all can stay better informed about this wonderful product.

Signed,

Tigrrr

I just ordered a new Oliver Elite on June 30, and requested delivery during the last half of September. I did not want the unit any earlier and they accommodated my delivery date.

I expect they are a small family business, doing the best they can with what they have to work with. Small businesses are a challenge. Everyone dictates to the small business owner, your suppliers and your customers. Making units that conform to the customer's desires is not as easy as some may think. It's time consuming explaining everything to customers and honoring their requests. It causes general and administrative costs to go up well beyond what would be the case with the cookie cutter building process.

I will not pass any judgments at this time because I have not been a part of the process long enough to do so. I am dealing with a person by the name of Michelle Sisco, via e-mail. So far, so good, but I have a lot of questions to get answers to in order to make an informed decision about the options and the ordering process. I have two more weeks, according to Michelle, to make all my decisions about the trailer. I feel that target date will not be difficult to meet, for them or for myself. Time will tell.

I am enthused about getting a small quality trailer, built like I want it. It will likely be my last chance to buy a new RV and I wanted quality and customization. This seems to be the ticket, based on what I have seen and experienced so far. I paid my money and I'm taking my chances. If I have difficulties, I will share them with the Forum.

At this point my suggestion to customers is to be patient. My best suggestion to Oliver would be to put together a comprehensive list of the options and popular modifications available, along with features, advantages, benefits, disadvantages, weight issues, and costs. That would help minimize valuable employee time that is spent explaining stuff to customers, due to a lack of such ready information.

Happy RVing to all.

• Moderators

Tigrrr, Robert is back off of vacation and just out of the hospital. He came down with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. I would expect that he is hundreds of emails behind and hundreds of phone calls to return, when he gets back behind his desk ! Not to mention trying to pick up all of his admin tasks that he got behind on while away.

He is pretty good to answer any questions and I expect that he will locate this and respond.

Was it your question about the "total R value that could be stuffed" into an Oliver ? I pulled up all six of your posts and I am guessing that may be it.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

Dear Mountainborn,

I was sorry to hear about Roberts condition. I hope he will be up and around soon. Maybe some camping and fresh air will speed his recovery.

Yes it was my question on the maximum r-factor that can be put into the Oliver. Or in other words, between the inside and outside shells, what is the maximun r-factor insulation possible. I know it will add weight, how much? Oops another question. Know that double pane windows is a GREAT idea. I have never found anyone say that an Oliver is a four season trailer, like a bigfoot. I just think it would be another selling point.

signed,

Tigrrr

:lol::lol: I would think (not a good idea for me sometimes) that multiple applications of "Lizard Skin" would raise the R Factor. Could it be applied to water/grey/black water tanks and plumbing?? Interesting questions I hope! Love mine, been down to 20 degrees and don't wanna' go NO colder!! :o

Chuck

I believe heated tanks (not just insulated tanks) would be necessary for true 4-season capability. The double hull design certainly provides some protection during shorter term cold snaps; however, I don't think I'd count on the heat loss from the interior shell to keep the plumbing above freezing when you're talking about long-term extreme cold conditions.

• Moderators

Herm,

What temps and length of cold are you concerned about? One thought by Oliver is the holes in each storage compartment cover would facilitate a bit of heat transfer to the hold where the tanks are located.

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Bugeyedriver,

Personally, I have no interest in cold weather camping, but Tigrrr brought up the statement about insulation and 4-season worthiness. For me, I winterize and park it from about end of Oct. to beginning of Apr., give or take.

The good thing about the Oliver is, I should be fine just letting it sit outside during the off-season. I'm SOOO glad I won't have another rubber roof to worry about.

Bugeyedriver,

When I had read questions about different kinds of insulation that is used in the Oliver I naturally wanted to know what would be the maximum r-factor that could be put in. Just like your home, added insulation is never a bad idea. But unlike your home, trailers have a finite amount that can be used due to space restrictions. And added insulation also acts as a sound barrier against loud early morning sounds, etc. I reasoned that the more insulation I had, meant the less heat source I had to use to heat the trailer. And with the cubic feet of space in the Oliver, was it possible to "heat it with a match". Or in other words, use a minimum heat source to keep the trailer warm enough to be in for extended periods of time without using shore power , my battery , or my precious propane. After reading others' letters about "boondocking" for relatively long periods of time, I thought it might be notable to know the maximum r-factor one could request in the Oliver.

Signed,

Tigrrr

As Bugeyeddriver stated we have incorparted airflow channels between the shells for the purpose of preventing a freeze up of the plumbing. Jim Oliver has had his units in 20 degree weather, leaving the furnace thermstat on 45-50 degrees prevented a freeze up because of the insulation and air flow between the shells. As for preventing a freeze up not using some kind of heat (propane or electric) I woundn't try it. If anyone has a suggestion I would be very interested.

Thanks

Bugeyedriver,

After writing my first response , I realized that I did not fully answer your questions.

So here goes. Your question: "What temps and length of cold are you concerned about?". Answer- Above freezing(33) to the mid 50s, and for a month.

I was not as concerned about keeping the pipes warm as I was keeping Me warm. And with saving my propane for other valuable uses. I know from survival training that a candle puts out an enormous amount of heat for its weight and size. That is why they suggest folks who live in cold climates carry a candle in their autos. Just in case they get stuck, they can keep the interior of the car above freezing. So I was reasoning (there I go again) that if the insulation factor was high enough in the Oliver I could keep it warm with candles (emergency or not). Now, Buffalobob, r-factor possible in the Oliver? R-what?

Thank you in advance,

Tigrrr

Tigrrr,

I am so sorry that it has taken us so long to answer your questions!! I do not like to make excuses, but we have had a few things happen that have made me neglect posting. One of our son in laws was killed on his Harley, leaving our daughter and a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old. As most of you know, we are a very close family, and this has been devastating for us. He worked at one of the Companies, and it has been difficult getting someone to be able to take over the wonderful and difficult position he had at work. So we as a family have spent most of our time trying to help Wendy and kids as much as possible!!

We made some changes on the sales end, and these have not been finalized yet, so please bear with us. Then, Robert became ill, but thankfully, he is on the road to recovery!!

Now, for the R-value in an "Oliver". We use a ceramic type of insulation which has an R-value of R-13 for every 80 mls of insulation applied. We apply 40mls in the fiberglass process and 40 mls on the inside of each shell. So the toal R-value is R-26. We do not insulate by the tanks, so the heat is able to get to them. We also add a honey comb matt in between the shells at the roof, the floor and around the windows. This increase R-value, and strength. We can increase the R-value for you, but it will add about 100 lbs for each additional R-26.

I hope this answers your questions regarding the insulation.

We are on our way to Banden, Oregon for the RV rally there. We are supposed to be in spaces 31 and 32. The dates we will be there are July 16th - 20th, at Bullards Beach State Park.. We will be in Reno for Hot August Nights, August 4th - 10th at the Peppermill. Between those two dates, we plan on going into Washington. We hope to see many of you at these events!!

Take care, and thank you for your interest in the "Oliver" As you know, we want you to be happy campers and want to make your purchase of the "Oliver" as easy and pleasurable as possible.

Evon

Northwoods