Long Time Lurker Revealed!

Popcorn-Billy

Hello,

I've been shopping for a small 4Runner tow-able trailer for a very long time. I'm a widower and travel solo, so I think a single axle Oliver would pretty easily meet my travel needs. I'll be using my trailer for longer, three-four month rambles hauling my recumbent bike and/or trike for trail rides wherever I stop. Oh and my fishing rod would get tucked in there too.

Hello to all y'all,

Bill

• Thanks 3

Best regards,

Bill

Bill,

As you know, there's plenty of knowledgeable folks here to answer questions. I was interested in building a RANS experimental aircraft and showed an Aeronautical Engineer their website.  Turned out they build recumbent bikes, too. He purchased a recumbent from them, but I did not buy the airplane kit.

Welcome!

• Thanks 1

LE2

Hi Bill,

That's pretty cool, since I'm and old pilot too. RANS airplanes are really nice and I'd considered buying one and just traveling in it but light plane travel has its short comings. It would have required me to sell my house and buy a couple of condos for RANS migration. LOL

I own an HP Velotechnik Gekko FX 20 and it's my daily driver. I'm considering an AZUB recumbent bike, simply because some trails just won't work with a trike.

Best regards,

Bill

Welcome Popcorn-Billy!  I was a long time lurker here too. As you already know, you can find almost everything you will need to know about the Oliver TTs here. If you have any special questions/concerns please let us know. Smiles...Kathy

• Thanks 1

Clair & Kathy Reed - plus our travel companion: Emma

2017 Legacy Elite II - Hull# 245

2014 Ram 1500 3.0 V6 Eco-diesel 4x4

ALFLGAILINIAKYMIMONCOHPATNVAWVWIsm.jpg

Thanks, Clair & Kathy.

Once I get mine, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions. I RV'd from 1978 until about 1994 in travel trailers and a motorhome. I found I liked trailers better. No thanks to cancer, I travel solo these days. My wife of 47 years passed away three and a half years ago. I have traveled all over the world and just want to ramble and do some in-depth revisits of places we traveled in all of the lower 48. We never quite made it to Hawaii or Alaska. Alaska may just be on my list now.

• Thanks 1

Best regards,

Bill

HMD1056,

While the Oliver Elite could be loaded to a GVW of 5,000#, I can't imagine such a scenario. Look at the promo shots of the Oliver Legacy Elite. You'll se they're shown as being towed with an FJ Cruiser. My 4Runner has a longer wheelbase, so I'm going to give it a try. If not, I have a Lexus RX470 located. I like Toyota reliability and don't care so much how fast I can climb hills. Mountain Born on this forum towed an old model 18' Oliver with his Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I know it's anecdotal but I'm sure someone with experience will chime in.

• Thanks 1

Best regards,

Bill

• Moderators

Popcorn-Billy,

Greetings and welcome to the forum.  Thanks for coming out of Lurkerville and saying hello.  As a fellow widower, old pilot, and recumbent bike owner, I think the Elite will suit your needs very well.  A single axle Elite has been my wander-home 4 to 7 months a year for the last 9 years.

Fully loaded with my camping goodies and a full tank of water, my 2008 Wonder Egg tips the scale at 3900 lbs.  A 5000 lb tow weight capable vehicle will get you down the road, but may be working a bit harder in mountainous terrain.  As an old pilot, I still adhere to the saying that "More is Better" . . . more runway in front of you, more air below you, and now, more towing capacity is nice to have.

Good luck on your quest for your trailer.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Thanks Pete and you too, Bosker.

I've seriously considered upgrading to a Tacoma Double Cab LB for my TV and daily driver. My 4Runner, as you know, is body-on-frame and has the same drive-train as your Taco. I just like pickups for towing, because they have room for incidentals like my trike and a Honda generator. It's a handy place to keep leveling blocks too.

It sounds like for our travel envelope the Oliver is about ideal. I'd probably start out towing with my 4Runner and then upgrade, if I feel like I need to. If I decide to stay with an SUV, I may consider a VW Toureg TDI. Folks are reporting some pretty remarkable fuel mileage with those. But my 'Runner only has 100k miles, so it's just now getting broken in. ;-) Besides, the paint matches. LOL

Best regards,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy,

I have towed an Oliver Elite with an FJ Cruiser throughout the mountain west with no problems. I am towing with an off-road Tacoma now. My Tacoma is lifted 2 inches and has a custom spring pack to keep the back from sagging when my trailer is hooked up. I did a six week trip out west this summer with the Taco and it is definitely better than the FJ. A longer wheel base makes a better TV.

F21D73A5-7801-4043-A821-8D2F97119F2C.thumb.jpeg.02063d59262b8316310b5a153c91821d.jpeg

• 9 months later...

Popcorn Billy and Friends:

A good starting point is to verify that the model of truck/SUV you are considering is over rated for the total travel weight you want to pull.  Many recommendations on this subject is to use Travel Life tables at:

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

I am at the end of an 8,000 mile trip pulling an Oliver Elite II.  My Ollie dry weight is 4600 pounds; and wet I am about 5500 pounds.  My Toyota Sequoia, 2005 with a 4.7 L engine is  rated for 6,000 pounds.  After about 7,000 miles I have found that:

On the flat land and rolling hills, it has done wonderful.

In the mountains, as I was advised by several members, the 4.7 L is too small.

So my responses to your question about a vehicle doing long trips pulling a 5,000 pound trailer with a 5,000 pound rated vehicle would be..... Maybe.  If no mountains are involved, then sure  but be careful and don't hurry.  If mountains are involved, I would recommend getting a vehicle with more tow capability.  It is not only about power.  It is also about stopping and handling.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck, and welcome to the best forum in the Travel Trailer Industry!

Geronimo John

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

An aside: when traveling from state to state...do you have to get a fishing license in every state?

I think we ought to petition Congress, state camping organizations, and any body that will listen...there should be a nation wide fishing license for retired folks. Ought to be great for the economy too...

• Thanks 2

Welcome Popcorn Billy. The Oliver forum is filled with great information and wonderfully generous participants. You will be more than satisfied with the Oliver.

RB

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201