Legacy Elite II Hull #259 Modifications & Customizations

Cobra1169

I have finally had a chance to both tinker and document the modifications & customizations I'm making to my Oliver.

g3nko4wvdu1pvamoawy6x5q4wm1y22s8.thumb.jpg.71aa9dc44a5363c02121df67d65ac9b8.jpg

mwsimj99secpv6kxs1bo7y4t2efwfupr.thumb.jpg.0efc02e7100d6ea0d97a682dbeeff133.jpg

This Teak Shower Mat is something I've had for years in my Airstream and really Like it to shoe marks in the shower.  Purchased from Teakworks4u.  $189 plus shipping.  They have the Oliver LE II template in their system.

• Thanks 1

This mod will most likely create the most questions and I believe is the single most beneficial addition I could make to my Oliver.  BTW prior to joining Apple, I lead mobility enterprise solutions for 10 years with AT&T and I know what really works and what is just a gimmick from a cellular and wifi booster reference standpoint.

21h55dnvstfonwq4eeqxdranp38y190u.jpg.59c16f4e731e57ad6afa7fd642ed2a58.jpg

CradlePoint Cellular Router:  COR IBR900 Series

https://cradlepoint.com/ products/cor-ibr900-series

Here is why:

Enterprise Commercial-Grade hardware

Supports LTE-Advanced (next generation Cellular protocol - next 3 years Future Proof)

Supports SIM-Based Auto-Carrier Selection built in 2 SIM trays expandable to 4.  Allows you to have either more than 1 Cellular Carrier (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc.) or allows you do double up on SIMs from same Cellular Carrier to prevent throttling back or exceeding data plan.

Fully Ruggedized and built for vehicle vibration, temperatures, etc.

Intelligent remote configuration via Cloud Access

Redundant Power Capable

WiFi:  Dual-band, dual-concurrent WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac)* Wave 2

External Mounted Antenna:  3-in-1 GPS & Modem Screw-Mount

https://cradlepoint.com/ products/accessories/3-1-gps- modem-screw-mount

Amplifies Cellular & GPS Reception by a full 5 watts (Cellphone & Tablets only 0.5 watts)

Significant improves cell & GPS signal reception thereby giving you stronger signal strength and increased bandwidth throughput.  Gives you priority ranking of network vs. cellphones, tablets, & consumer hotspot devices.

AT&T Data Plan (Unlimited +)

You also have the option to buy program month to month or prepaid.  Only subscribe when you need to use it or add it to family plan

Allows you to use your home DIRECTV account with no charge against your Data Plan or you can subscribe to DIRECTV NOW if you do not have DIRECTV at home.

https://www.att.com/bundles/ data-free-tv.html

https://www.att.com/bundles/ directv-now-unlimited-plus. html

The Cradlepoint router will work as the nerve center for your Oliver.  Providing you constant and consistent wifi coverage in about 98% of the US.  Also, it gives you the ability to jump from carrier to carrier via a webbed portal.

Now that you have WiFi all the time you now have a  connected RV.  You can use wifi to place wifi calls, FaceTime calls Video or Audio only.  Stream video, Music, gaming to your Trailer via laptop, iPad, iPhone, or AppleTV, and stream Over the Air Directv without data charges if you are an AT&T customer.

I may use devices inside trailer like Nest Protect battery version (Smoke & CO2 detector).  You can hook up WebCams, and other home automation products that run on WiFi.

I'll also run my iPads of the trailers WiFi vs the iPads embedded cellular receiver because the trailers wifi will always have a stronger signal than the iPads embedded cellular antenna.

I will also run my MacBook via the trailers WiFi which is great for working on the road.

• Thanks 7

LevelMatePRO is a wireless vehicle leveling system that utilizes Bluetooth® 4.0 to connect with your smartphone or tablet. The system allows you to know how much height is required to reach a level position and where that height is needed. LevelMatePRO also allows you to save and recall your hitch position for quick and easy reconnects to your tow vehicle. It was designed for use with both driveable and towable vehicles. For driveable vehicles, the height required to reach a level position is displayed for each wheel so you can stack all of your blocks for each wheel and drive onto them once. Eliminate the trial and error associated with multiple attempts to get your vehicle level...level it on the first try! Recommended uses are RV's, mobile medical vehicles, food service vehicles, concession vehicles, mobile emergency command post vehicles, race car trailers, horse trailers and more. Simplify your vehicle setup, reduce setup time and increase safety with the LevelMatePRO system.  Amazon $139.99  https://www.amazon.com/LevelMatePRO-Bluetooth®-Vehicle-Leveling-System/dp/B01FGGSWPW

Hidden in the bulkhead above closet door very close to the center of the trailer.

pp68izmxvm2g7s6j1lahboh2rvgda7lp.thumb.jpg.0056d9068b8951eb5632fd506fb448ec.jpg

• Thanks 1

Marinco EEL Pigtail Adapters.  Allows me to plug into a standard 110 in my storage unit and run A/C (thanks, easy-start) and lighting, etc.  I have a bucket under the A/C drain not to flood out my concrete slab in the storage unit.  I love the built-in flashlight and quick grip lock no more misthreading outlet $63.84  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009IJJLZO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wslhdh33ngf3tulxft8xdzmscxvr5ghr.thumb.jpg.dd2ab8ed792254244b48c3feb3655df9.jpg

• Thanks 2

I'm curious if the CradlePoint WiFi is strong enough to reach the vehicle.  Is the antenna that you had on the back of your Ollie part of the CradlePoint package or is that from a third party?

I dig the umbrella stand.  I'll have to look into the LevelMate - it sounds like a great solution especially when traveling solo..

• Thanks 1

Here is a great one that I learned from the Marine Industry:  Viking Composite LP Tanks 22 Pounds each.  Half the weight of steel tanks and they do not rust.  Plus they are see-thru so you always can visually inspect your propane levels.  Does require you to install an RV mount tray in place of the standard mount since these tanks have a flat bottom.  Tanks were $149 each on Amazon and RV Mount is $40 direct from Viking Cylinder web store.

3jgqio2tjxhfes76rvzbti1l1289mb8g.jpg.9dde17a0baefadd5dd9bfc19ba6fb4a8.jpg

• Thanks 4

Overland, CradlePoint does have a 5in1 antenna on their website that amplifies both the Cellular, GPS, & WiFi signal which would be more than capable of reaching your tow car and a 50-yard radius around your trailer.  The antenna is made by Pantheon Antenna SKU: 170654-000.  I PM'ed you additional info.  Thanks --- Jim

• Thanks 1

Nice job...I really like your modifications & additions! I’m going to check out your wifi set up for sure. We have had the TeakWorks4u shower mat on our ‘wants’ list since we ordered our Ollie....great to see one in an Oliver! Are your 22# propane tanks larger/taller than the standard steel 20# tanks? We currently have 30# tanks in ours - the weight difference is awesome.

Thanks for sharing!

Clair & Kathy Reed - plus our travel companion: Emma

2017 Legacy Elite II - Hull# 245

2014 Ram 1500 3.0 V6 Eco-diesel 4x4

ALFLGAILINIAKYMIMONCOHPATNVAWVWIsm.jpg

They are approximately the same size as a 30lb steel propane tank. I also think that the lighter weigh help reduce young weight as well. Here is the comparison:

Viking Cylinder

22 lbs -

Gallons: 5.24

Height: 22.5"

Diameter: 12"

17 lbs -

Gallons: 4.20

Height: 18.3"

Diameter: 12"

Standard Steel Propane Tank

20 lbs Steel Tank

Gallons: 4.7

Height: 18"

Diameter: 12.5"

Weight Full: 37 lbs

30 lbs Steel Tank

Gallons: 7

Height: 24"

Diameter: 12.5"

Weight Full: 55 lbs

• Thanks 1

Nice job…I really like your modifications & additions! I’m going to check out your wifi set up for sure. We have had the TeakWorks4u shower mat on our ‘wants’ list since we ordered our Ollie….great to see one in an Oliver! Are your 22# propane tanks larger/taller than the standard steel 20# tanks? We currently have 30# tanks in ours – the weight difference is awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Using the shower mat really depends on how tall of people will be showering. At 6'1" we took ours out and gave it away because I could no longer stand up in the bathroom, I prefer the bare white floor for the most room when using the bathroom, plus it's a quick rinse if you bring mud in.

Reed

Did you put your awning crank in the closet Cobra?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Reed,

The factory installs the Carefree awning crank now in the closet since it has the bend in the handle it no longer fits between the closet & entry doors.  Also, I listed the dimensions of the Viking LP tanks above for reference.  Thanks --- Jim

ze32hqltst13adx3jms5xaedharl0e4q.jpg.84d219671f10396d39bb5f92d0ad7ed3.jpg

• Thanks 1

Cobra1169, Great post!!  I use the WiFi Ranger to create my own local network, but the CradlePoint looks really interesting, as do the Viking Composite LP Tanks. These will go onto my wish/research list!

I love the idea of an umbrella! One will definitely be going into my Ollie!

We got the Teakworks4U shower mat after Malcolm Monlezun posted about it. My wife was lukewarm about the idea before I ordered it, but now she really likes it. The teak mat is very nice, both functionally and esthetically.

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• Moderators

Great mods!  I’m especially interested in the propane tanks. I like the weight reduction and being able to visually check the level. Your CradlePoint install is something I’m going to look at too.  Thanks for posting these. Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Hi Jim,

This may be a silly question but is there any way to mount 3 in 1 antenna without drilling through hull? And would it be simple enough for me to direct wiring down from top myself. Just wanting your opinion. Thanks, Mike

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

Using the shower mat really depends on how tall of people will be showering. At 6’1″ we took ours out and gave it away because I could no longer stand up in the bathroom, I prefer the bare white floor for the most room when using the bathroom, plus it’s a quick rinse if you bring mud in.

Reed

———————-

I remember you mentioning these points about the shower mat in a previous post. I am short so the added height won’t be a problem but you do bring up a good point re: mud & dirt. Thanks Reed

Clair & Kathy Reed - plus our travel companion: Emma

2017 Legacy Elite II - Hull# 245

2014 Ram 1500 3.0 V6 Eco-diesel 4x4

ALFLGAILINIAKYMIMONCOHPATNVAWVWIsm.jpg