We’re official! Hull 268

Free2Roam

I have found places to stay one or two days away by looking at a map. I have seen some wonderful sunsets (and spectacular sunrises)from a hidden cove found by a chart. None of these were obvious electronically.

Natchez Trace CG, isn't that where we had the Rally? The electrical pedestal didn't have a 30 amp outlet? I have never packed a 30/50 adapter. How much of an issue is that elsewhere? I know at the Rally most sites were real small and on top of each other. Most needed extension cords and extra hoses. We just had to assume the new management had not got to update that part yet.

We really liked the Merriweather Lewis Park, but there are no hookups. But that is why we have the OTT anyway. (Price is right too...free).

• Thanks 2

I have found places to stay one or two days away by looking at a map. I have seen some wonderful sunsets (and spectacular sunrises)from a hidden cove found by a chart. None of these were obvious electronically. Natchez Trace CG, isn’t that where we had the Rally? The electrical pedestal didn’t have a 30 amp outlet? I have never packed a 30/50 adapter. How much of an issue is that elsewhere? I know at the Rally most sites were real small and on top of each other. Most needed extension cords and extra hoses. We just had to assume the new management had not got to update that part yet. We really liked the Merriweather Lewis Park, but there are no hookups. But that is why we have the OTT anyway. (Price is right too…free).

I was told that it was where the rally was held previously.

Reportedly, these lake sites are relatively new.  I thought it weird that there wasn’t a 30 amp outlet. The box had a 50 amp outlet and two 120 outlets.  Oliver had provided a 30-120 adaptor which we used the first night. We had some trouble with our water heater that first night and thought maybe that was the reason so I went to the Trading Post on the campground and they had a 30-50 adaptor so I went ahead and bout it  ($25 - not sure what they normally run but feeling like we were in a pinch I didn’t flinch). Turns out it had nothing to do with the water heater, just needed a hard reset. We used the 30-50 adaptor the second night. The fridge seemed to take a REALLY long time to cool down the first night. Don’t know if the 120 had anything to do with that.

We noticed that the other areas seemed a bit congested which was why we opted for the Lakeside.  So glad we did.

Definitely learned our lesson about electronics. Felt stupid because we never used to go anywhere without a paper roadmap. Guess we got caught up in all the excitement as it totally slipped my mind.

-Angela

2017 Legacy Elite II Standard

2006 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel 4WD

• Moderators

Meriweather Lewis is also our favorite cg near hohenwald. The price is great ( free), but most of the time, we're the only or one of few in the cg. Admittedly, we are usually in the area in early spring or late fall...

The sites are decent sized, the cg  is lovely, especially in fall when the leaves are changing.

Who needs hookups? Not Ollie owners.

After that, I'm partial to fall hollow. Close to town, and the trail, and Neal and Shari are so very nice. And, Neal is an awesome cook. I rarely eat breakfast, but his breakfast is just so good.

We've only spent one rainy night at 1000 trails, so not fair to comment. I'm not much for RV parks. Too many nice state park cg in an hour's drive.

Sherry

• Thanks 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Merriweather was great both times we were there, and I also think we might of been one of two. Was like having a private free campground. We have "dined" at Fall Hollow a couple of times too, but they are only , or were, only open weekends. Both are within spitting distance to the Trace. We will have to dig out our notes, but one nice state Park is the highest point in Alabama. Don't remember the name, but a National Fire Ranger and our built in Garmin sent us on a 32 mile long paved goat path. Half way up, we found they was also logging. Just by chance we didn't meet any on their way down. That road was only 8' wide. in one place we crossed, actually forded a stream, in the middle of a 1950ish trailer park. If we had heard banjo music we would have picked up the pace. If only we had checked the paper map, there was a 4 lane highway just another mile down the road. But we did see some sights, and it was an adventure we still laugh at..

• Thanks 1

Merriweather was great both times we were there.....If we had heard banjo music we would have picked up the pace. If only we had checked the paper map, there was a 4 lane highway just another mile down the road. But we did see some sights, and it was an adventure we still laugh at..

Lol! the banjo comment made me spit out my drink! ????

we saw the turn off to Merriweather, but unfortunately had to leave before we could investigate. I imagine we will be out that way again and will definitely check it out!

2017 Legacy Elite II Standard

2006 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel 4WD