How do you store your Ollie?

wdw0528

9 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

general consensus among lithium manufacturers is do not keep them “topped off” all the time

This is my understanding also and this is how we care for our Battle Born batteries. 
Kirk

• Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

10 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

I find this odd, the general consensus among lithium manufacturers is do not keep them “topped off” all the time. That is when most of the stress happens, cell equalization mainly. They all use the same sort of cells inside, only the management systems are propriatory .

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/6629-how-to-find-happiness-with-lifepo4-lithium-ion-batteries-solacity-article/

Even ebike batteries are like this, you should discharge them to about half charge and store them inside the house in the off season, for “best” long term life and performance. Whether doing that actually helps all that much for any specific unit is debatable….it is simply good practice.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thank you, John  

You find it odd, I find it frustrating! 

I’am so perplexed! 
One article someone posted earlier  said you don’t have to discharge battery to 50%. 

Some say they stay plugged into shore power 24/7, others don’t. 

Take batteries out. Leaves batteries in. Deplete battery to half, another says no need to deplete. 
We are trying to do the right thing but finding the right answer is very trying. 

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

@Katjo that is what we're going to do with ours this winter because we have the 315Ah batteries. Maybe it's ok because the internal heater is draining the batteries some before the converter and solar refill them? Don't know, but that's the mfg recommendation.

• Like 3

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

44 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

@Katjo that is what we're going to do with ours this winter because we have the 315Ah batteries. Maybe it's ok because the internal heater is draining the batteries some before the converter and solar refill them? Don't know, but that's the mfg recommendation.

We are swaying on the side of doing the same and following the Lithionics guide.👍🏼

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

5D76AE7E-5757-46C0-8446-D1FF859F988C.jpeg

It is a bit confusing to try and make sense of Lithionics recommendations. 

If you store plugged in and you have a built in Lithionics heater all you do is shut down all CD loads. No need to do anything else and no potential warranty issues. We have heated storage with a 30 amp electric source, so no problem. However, our heater will  internal Lithionics heater will never turn on. We will not have that power drain. The situation is different than the one implied by Lithionics, however, technically it still full-fills their instructions.  

It sounds like, if you have no internal heater or no source of electricity, then you have to follow Lithionics somewhat confusing and difficult instruction, keep a record of what you do, and still maintain the battery within a certain temperature range. If you have storage for over 3 month, it is below freezing and you don't have an internal battery heater or you don't have a source for electricity, then; I guess, you would have to remove the batteries, store them inside and then deal with their difficult instructions and keep a record for warranty validation.   

These instructions and Lithionics recommendations do not give me confidence Lithionics Battery company. 

Kirk

• Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

13 minutes ago, snakeriveridaho said:

5D76AE7E-5757-46C0-8446-D1FF859F988C.jpeg

It is a bit confusing to try and make sense of Lithionics recommendations. 

If you store plugged in and you have a built in Lithionics heater all you do is shut down all CD loads. No need to do anything else and no potential warranty issues. We have heated storage with a 30 amp electric source, so no problem. However, our heater will  internal Lithionics heater will never turn on. We will not have that power drain. The situation is different than the one implied by Lithionics, however, technically it still full-fills their instructions.  

It sounds like, if you have no internal heater or no source of electricity, then you have to follow Lithionics somewhat confusing and difficult instruction, keep a record of what you do, and still maintain the battery within a certain temperature range. If you have storage for over 3 month, it is below freezing and you don't have an internal battery heater or you don't have a source for electricity, then; I guess, you would have to remove the batteries, store them inside and then deal with their difficult instructions and keep a record for warranty validation.   

These instructions and Lithionics recommendations do not give me confidence Lithionics Battery company. 

Kirk

That’s the way I’m understanding it as well. 
Why won’t your internal heater not turn on? 

• Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

21 minutes ago, Katjo said:

Why won’t your internal heater not turn on? 

Sorry, that was a poorly written sentence. The heater will not turn on because our camper will be stored in a heated garage. That changes the situation given by Lithionics in the instruction.  Without the power draw from the heater, we would be keeping out batteries at 100% charge while stored. To my understanding, most Lithium battery companies do not recommend doing this. 

Kirk

• Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

Hull #1305

For what it's worth, Mike with Oliver Service confirmed today that Oliver trailers with the Lithium Pro Package (with external batter heating pad) can be left plugged into shore power during winter conditions, just like those with internal battery heaters.

See this thread:

• Like 1

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

3 minutes ago, snakeriveridaho said:

Sorry, that was a poorly written sentence. The heater will not turn on because our camper will be stored in a heated garage. That changes the situation given by Lithionics in the instruction.  Without the power draw from the heater, we would be keeping out batteries at 100% charge while stored. To my understanding, most Lithium battery companies do not recommend doing this. 

Kirk

Oh, got it. 
Yes, then you would have to remove batteries according to lithionics guide. 

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan