Install Your Own Flooring? No Flooring? MCS, VOCs, linoleum, adhesion, etc.

MountainApple

Hi there,

Has anyone got experience or suggestions with changing out or installing flooring in an Oliver? Or ordering with no vinyl floor installed? It seems from other fiberglas rv forums that installing your own flooring is a thing people do to fiberglas trailers. We ordered an Elite II without having stock flooring installed, mostly because I've got a medical VOC sensitivity and we didn't have time to get a physical sample or SDS data on their flooring options before we had to order.  We'd planned to install our own later, but then asked Oliver if they could do it - if we could supply our own vinyl flooring or linoleum and adhesive, and they install it.  They came back saying that they didn't think they could use different brands because of possible adhesion adherence problems. I get that they probably use a couple of types of vinyl and vinyl adhesive and trying out a new product could involve testing and general annoyance from their point of view.

Since the lip around the floor is shallow, any flooring has to be a very thin product. I've been looking at Forbo Eternal vinyl products and Forbo Marmoleum linoleum (2.0 mm) and their zero voc v885 acrylic polymer adhesive.

If we can't figure this out we'll have a bare fiberglas floor on pickup.  I've heard other people have ordered trailers without flooring and wonder what you've used to protect your floor from scratches.

Thanks!

• Moderators

Our older Ollies don't have vinyl under the small dinette table, just fiberglass. I cut a hole in a little cotton  rug to keep the floor a little cleaner and nicer...

So, for pickup, I'd look at bringing a long carpet runner (something you have already, washed, older, nonemitting would be great), and a few small throw rugs.

Our contractor used ramboard in our home when under construction. It's no voc, but I think it would be slippery underfoot.

Marmoleum or cork tile would be lovely in your Ollie. I have cork floors throughout my home, and love them. Cork is warm and a little cushy underfoot, but true linoleum is also warmer, a little cushy, and incredibly durable.

The forbo no voc adhesive could be a diy issue because of cost, and adhesion to the fiberglass floor.. I have only found it in 4 gallon pails..  click loc planks with cork back may be too thick. I think the tiles in our older elite are only 2.5 mm thick...

Since many of us keep the entire floor covered with runners and rugs anyway, that could be your best option til you get it sorted out.

Best of luck in your choice.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 1 month later...

Hi Sherry, I read this at the time but was too swamped to reply. I appreciated your replying with ideas and experience with products. We ended up choosing the upgrade Terkett Fiberfloor in grey oak. After weeks of back and forth and actually being told otherwise, it was finally revealed that the Terkett brand styles (the seagrass, grey oak, and flagstone) are Fiberfloor, which is lower vocs than Terkett's regular vinyl.  It's considered one of the best Flooring products options out there for people with MCS. I would have picked it straight away at the start if I'd known it was actually offered, and not spent time trying to reinvent the wheel. Kudos to Oliver for offering such a healthy flooring option..but please advertise/list what it is so people can choose it! It's got a great warranty too. They did make it right with us, not charging us for the service for installing it after our camper had left the production line since we were given misinformation. Marmoleum would be so pretty if they figured out the technical side of getting it adhered, and people who wanted natural flooring would probably be excited about it. We will probably get some rugs too for comfort eventually.

Julia

We have rugs over ours right now because back when the drawers fell out, the flooring was torn. We didn't see it at first but it kept getting bigger, so repairing the flooring and removing the carpet throws will be taking place when we get South this week. It's really thin flooring...

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

I know a fair number of owners use a couple of "runners" all year round.  I'm among them not only because I find a rug a bit more comfortable on the tootsies but it is easier to clean the floor by just taking the rugs outside, giving them a shake of two and laying them down again.  Sure beats a vacuum and/or the old broom thing.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
I know a fair number of owners use a couple of “runners” all year round. I’m among them not only because I find a rug a bit more comfortable on the tootsies but it is easier to clean the floor by just taking the rugs outside, giving them a shake of two and laying them down again. Sure beats a vacuum and/or the old broom thing.

Bill

In agreement there, for all the same reasons. Love my runner and entry mat.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The runner is great, now that Sherry mentions it I need an entry mat.

In case you need it, 22 x 144 inches works perfectly.

Ottomanson Ottohome Collection Carpet Solid Hallway Wedding Aisle Runner Rug with (Non-Slip) Rubber Backing, Black, 1'10" x 12'0" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012P2CVF2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_U.NjAbXPBMTFP

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

We like the runner especially when we are boondocking and there's rain and mud being tracked in, but in good weather they get rolled up and put away. Then we have 2 entry mats stacked at the door, one stays in, and then one goes out at the bottom of the steps. Both are used to clean the dirt off of our shoes and keep the floor clean.

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

Actually I use two separate runners - each about 6 feet long and an entry mat.  I use the two runners because I find that they are easier to handle - particularly when shaking them outside - and, the one in the "bedroom" has a thicker pile which is nice on the tootsies.  The runner in the kitchen is similar to those indoor/outdoor mats that can be rinsed off with a hose in the event something nasty gets spilled onto it.  Of course they are matching colors!

Bill

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I like the two runner approach, didn't think of that. I've just vacuumed the long one, I've got a skinny little Rocket vacuum that is great for everything.

We are still looking for a good outside mat, any recommendations are welcome, we keep going back and forth about size of it.

Randy

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

• Moderators

Similar to Reed, I keep a small mat for right outside the steps.  It measures approximately 2.5 feet by 3.5 feet and is basically "astro-turf".  I use this most of the time as it is great for getting most of the dirt/sand off prior to stepping into Twist.  When I'm set-up for a stay of over a couple of days, I'll get the bigger mat out of the truck bed - it measures approximately 8 by ten feet.

Bill

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Our outside entry mats are often old rugs. Sometimes Ikea or Menards inexpensive welcome mats. Even old floor mats from vehicles. Whatever I won't miss if we forget it at a campsite. +Why do I say that...?) Lol.

If it is really muddy, a great shoe scraper is one or two cheap scrub brushes fastened to a chunk of leveling board with deck screws. Obviously, bristle side up.

Note to self... The seven years old brush in front of the camping shed needs replacing in the spring... That brush was a dollar. About 14 cents a year for cleaner floors.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

We use two mats from Ikea - one inside and one out.  The inside one fits perfectly in front of the door and the outside one is nice and stiff for getting dirt and rocks out of hiking boot treads.  They also make more of a mesh matt that would be good for shoes that don't have big lugs.  All of them can be hosed off.  We just toss the outside mat inside when we travel.

• 2 months later...

As I was perusing airforums this morning I stumbled across this post and thought I would share it here for those who might be looking for something different for their flooring. The first post is pictures and a few further down gives the contact info for who did. It's Teak looking carpet/rug/mat

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/teak-look-carpet-178033.html

• Thanks 1

Randy

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

• 6 months later...

An upgrade option is the Lonseal Walnut and Holly flooring ($1000 upgrade). For this amount, it must be special. We have dogs and worry about scratches, dirt, odor, etc. A runner rug seems like a good option to protect the floor, but, pet odor? As we build out our LEII build sheet, seems very few upgrades are getting scratched from the list. Should we consider an upgrade flooring option? What is Lonseal Walnut and Holly flooring anyway (why is it such an expensive upgrade)? Your opinions are most welcome.

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

We're picking our Ollie ll up on Sept. 10th and wondered if anyone has the deminsions for the floor in the "kitchen area". We would like to pick up a rubber backed rug that would essentially fill the area between the kitchen cabinets and the booth. If there is a spec somewhere I should know about, please direct me there. Thanks for any suggestions...

• Moderators

Tom & Marie -

I've sent you an email with the interior dimensions of the Elite II.  Let me know if that helps.

Bill

• Thanks 1