Washing Oliver

geO

We just winterized our boat. We wet it, we dipped a brush into a bucket with Meguires Ultimate Wash +Wax. Power washed it, and it looks real nice, clean, and shiny. It looked so nice, we just knew the Oliver sitting next to it needed a turn. And we did it too.  And then we pulled a chair over and watched them dry.

My rear bumper still looks great. But when it starts to get 'cloudy' there we will try some polish we have used on truck tool boxes. They shine right up and stay that way. Think we got it at Home Depot though others must have it too.

Have to think our season is coming to a close, at least around here. Guess we should plan a trip...

• Thanks 2

I too use a wash and wax, it will keep a nice shine on. When I was still driving  truck, we would get that stuff in 55 gallon drums, we would wash our trucks every week and they always looked good. It's funny, your trailer don't look that dirty, but after a wash and wax, you are surprised how good it looks. Yeah, it's hard to not just keeping looking at it.

Last week we on the Virginia Eastern Shore, so when we got back, I hit every inch of the Durango and Ollie with fresh water to wash off any  salt residue that may be on it. Still some good weather, so we are looking for one more fall trip to southern VA. What do you think, anyone want to join us?

Stan

• Thanks 2

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

By coincidence, we just finished washing and waxing Ollie. And, yes, it is a good feeling having Stan (our Tundra) and Ollie gleaming and ready to head out to CA. I, too, would like to know how to get that bumper as shiny as possible.

We have had good results with these products on the gelcoat:

Gel-Gloss RV Wash and Wax - 128 oz.

Turtle Wax T-477R ICE Spray Wax - 20 oz.

• Thanks 1

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

• Moderators

I'll join the group on the wash and wax thing- sure is pretty!

Exterior detailer works well for quick touch-ups.  Particularly for those fresh bugs on the nose.

Assuming that one has the polished bumper - I've used a product called "never dull".  But, it is a bunch of work with less than what I would call perfect results.  Next I'll probably go to a metal polish with a mild abrasive like "semi-chrome".

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

While preparing Twist to be put away for the winter I thought that I'd give "Semi-chrome" metal polish a try on that rear bumper.  It works nicely!  I really didn't take a bunch of time - since the bumper will only get water spotted again while in storage over the winter, but, all the existing water spots came off along with road tar and the general dull appearance.  If you can't find "semi-chrome" then I would think that "Flitz" or "Mother's" metal polish would work as well.  Note that this is only for those that have the polished bumpers.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I winterized my Ollie yesterday and took it to a shop where they lovingly care for my 1986 Porsche Carerra Coupe.  https://www.hartek.org/.  I didn't have time to wash the Ollie yesterday, so I helped one of their employees wash it inside and left before they started waxing it.  I've included a couple of photos including photos of a much better brush than I have used for washing the Ollie.  They use a brush on an extending pole that is sold as a paintbrush!  Much better than what I have used for the past couple of years.

IMG_2583.thumb.jpg.bea1466f0112817f6924be4ff1564fb1.jpg

IMG_2580.thumb.jpg.b54bbc6edde56f309f2688dd4880e2e7.jpg

IMG_2582.thumb.jpg.86452486b348d8f446574e9a3268ee45.jpg

IMG_2581.thumb.jpg.f2353ab7b8b3c6130c28cf5310a78c0d.jpg

• Thanks 1

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

Washed, waxed, winterized and in storage.  A couple from Sioux City, IA is planning to stop to view my Ollie tomorrow.  A couple from Ames, IA who looked at my Ollie this fall are on their way home from Washington State with a slightly used 2017 Elite II.  By my count, we now have three Ollivers in Iowa:  my 2016, the 2017 en route and a 2018.  Photos below.

Don

IMG_2586.thumb.jpg.191d6a2a269886834382e9f3985f38c5.jpg

IMG_2587.thumb.jpg.3ad4de36dc2ee22c0762b1923e55e041.jpg

IMG_2588.thumb.jpg.af8f4b76ff2fd1263f3e3082caf9c187.jpg

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

• 1 year later...

Is it ok to wash my ollie at a car wash with the wand?  I can't wash it in my neighborhood and keep it in covered storage.  Just want to clean it badly but don't have anywhere to do it.  Suggestions anyone?

Thanks.

D&J | Waxahachie, TX

Nuggett #361 | 2018 Toyota Tundra Crew Max Platinum 4x4 5.7L

The spray wand with water is probably fine - as the manual says avoid spraying in inlets/vents.  Avoid getting the tip too close to the surface and be careful of the soaps as they can strip any wax you have fairly quickly.  I would avoid any brushes they have - I usually find a car wash that isn't busy, use the wand to get spray the worst off, and then use a bucket and my own brushes/sponges to soap up and then the wand again to rinse.

• Thanks 1

Between Olivers…

Is it ok to wash my ollie at a car wash with the wand? I can’t wash it in my neighborhood and keep it in covered storage. Just want to clean it badly but don’t have anywhere to do it. Suggestions anyone?

Look for a local “hand wash” or detail shop that will do small RVs. Or ask a friend with a home where you could borrow their driveway and hose connection....

I sometimes use the water rinse at a commercial quarter car wash when traveling but never use the soap, which is very harsh, and never ever ever use the brush since it is caked with grit from the thousands of previous users..... if you can properly clean the Ollie and apply Rejex, the dirt and bugs come off much more easily than with regular car waxes.

I would rather have a trailer filthy with road crud than use a commercial wash bay.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.