Ordering Options

sakthorp

Hi everyone,

My DH and I have been reading through the posts on this forum and I think we have a good idea how we'd like to outfit Elite II should we decide to move forward and place an order.

With regard to the flooring, countertop and fabric options, we've received the samples. I was not happy with the fabric options and so I contacted Heather about info on supplying my own fabric. Heather said that they no longer offer this option per the request of the guy that makes the cushions. I'm disappointed but can deal with this on my own. I am however curious about the quality of the fabric (not the pleather).

I viewed a 'map' of the electrical/usb outlets and it appears there are plenty with the exception being a lack of an outlet in the wet-bath (for obvious reasons).

Comments and suggestions regarding Elite II builds are welcome. Is there anything (from Oliver) that you wished for after you took delivery of your camper?

Steph and Steve Kimball

2019 Oliver Elite II ~ Twin

Hull No. 463

• Moderators

Steph & Steve

After delivery I had the factory add a dimmer switch because I found the lights a bit too bright from time to time.

Assume that you have thought about extra 110, 12 volt and usb ports in the night stand if you are getting the twin beds.  Also, how about an extra hook on the other side of the bath door and a port hole on the front for the propane tanks.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Depending on what direction you plan to sleep with the Two Bed option, you might want a second USB charge port opposite the one near the stove, in the lower surface of the overhead cabinet. We prefer to sleep head-to-front, and that would be nice option for the person in the street side bunk, (s)he can leave the phone lying on the nearby pantry shelf.

Charge ports and outlets are pretty easy to add later.....

Consider a storage shelf behind the propane bottles with side access doors - this is EXTREMELY cool and handy! Ask for LOCKING compression latches, the same as the ones used in the outside compartments. I neglected to ask and got stupid dinky non-secure ones that are at risk of popping open and spilling out my chocks onto a bumpy road. I am going to change them out this winter.... Sorry I don't have a closeup shot of the inside:

IMG_3294.thumb.jpg.480f5abd8b8b0259c9ca7c1984285961.jpg

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks guys for the input!

Bill: The dimmer switch is a great idea, I'm thinking "ambience"!

John: Wow, LOVE this option of a storage shelf behind the propane bottles with side access doors!!

Steph and Steve Kimball

2019 Oliver Elite II ~ Twin

Hull No. 463

• Moderators

The first big option we didn't get was a solar package. But, back in early 2008, it wasn't an option.

A few months later, we figured out a retrofit. Likely not possible now, with the added insulation in the new Ollie. At least ask for a solar prewire, if not the whole package. It makes a world of difference in the boonies, where we love to camp.

So many other items we've added since 2008 are now standard. My faves, other than solar, are the double step entry, and instantaneous water heater

We can, and do, live without tv antenna and Kingdome, even though we have them. Not a part of our lifestyle. Ditto on the now  broken microwave. These were part of our package, but we don't ever use them.

We bought a partially completed trailer in early 2008 to take early delivery. So, we got a few lux items, unnecessary for us.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I also don't like a lot of light, at least glaring light. In our unit we have the frosted upper cabinets doors. Turning on the cabinet lights gives us a nice glow throughout the cabin. If we need more direct light we use one of the four reading lights. Guess a lot of our options in 2017 are no longer options. Guess it is as too hard to figure out more than one way to do things...

• Moderator+
...John: Wow, LOVE this option of a storage shelf behind the propane bottles with side access doors!!

Yeah, I wish I'd thought of that.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Canoe12 - Yes, I really do like my fancy dimmer switch.  Since it was sourced from the marine industry and is moisture resistant (and fancy) I guess that was why it cost $300.  In any case, I know that they had three dimmer switches when I had mine installed about 14 months ago.  I wouldn't be surprised if they still had two left if you are really interested.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

…John: Wow, LOVE this option of a storage shelf behind the propane bottles with side access doors!!

Yeah, I wish I’d thought of that.

Thanks for posting the link, I was in no way trying to take credit for the idea. Your install is better than the factory version on Mouse. My bottles were not shifted forward, as you did, so space directly behind then is more limited.

Regardless, it is a very handy space for stuff that can stand getting dusty and wet. It all needs to be hosed out regularly.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 4 weeks later...

A few smaller mods that we really like -

Exterior 12v outlets, with a switch by the door.  Use them for outdoor lighting since the built in lighting produces a ton of glare and attracts bugs like crazy right to the door.  We also used ours to power my wife's telescope, and even a 12v electric blanket.

USB outlet in the hidden storage.  Great for charging iPads while away.

Dimmer for the cabin lights.  I'm not crazy about the specific dimmer the Oliver installed, but being able to dim the lights was a must for us.

Get the CradlePoint router that Cobra1169 recommended in his thread.  It's awesome.

• Moderators

Mark - for what its worth - I got my dimmer installed well after taking delivery and I worked directly with the plant guys as opposed to the Sales office.  If you are really interested in having Oliver do this for you, I'd give Jason Essary a call.  Tell him that Tommy got this done for Bill Jones (me) on hull #117.  Certainly it would be a bit cheaper to have this mod done during the build, but, if they are unwilling to get it done then I really don't think that installing a rheostat in the power line going to the lights would be all that difficult.

Bill

Mark – the actual dimmer switch that was installed for me by the guys at Oliver can be seen at: http://www.itc-rv.com/product/backlit-led-digital-dimmer/ Hope this helps. Bil

Bill, do you have a 3way switch in yours for the lights? And was it a special 3way dimmer or how does it work with the 2 light switches? I've put in 3 way dimmers in houses but it took 2 switches, is there 2 switches in your overheads?

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

That's the same one they used on mine.  It's O.K., but super slow to adjust.  It's a 3-way that on ours is connected to all of the overheads, so it functions as a master switch for the main cabin lights, kitchen, rear left and right, and dinette.  It's nice that way, but if you forget about it like I did a few times, it will lead to a few moments of panic as you're flipping switches wondering what on earth came loose in the electrical.

One drawback with the dimmer is that if we have a load on the inverter, the dimmed lights will pulse at about 1Hz.  They're fine at full power, but the slight voltage drop from the inverter as it draws from the battery is enough to affect the lights.  We have lithium batteries, which should be able to supply 400A continuous, so I'm not sure why the voltage should drop, but perhaps that's normal.  I need to make a call to both Victron and Dragonfly to see if there's something they can suggest to alleviate the problem.  The strange thing is that the same thing happens on shore power, which makes me think the problem is internal to the inverter, which is actually a hybrid inverter/charger.

That reminds me of another useful add on we asked for, which is a 'panic' switch for the outdoor lighting.  It's a single switch over the bed connected to both sets of outdoor lights.  It came in handy when we got a late night knock on the door while camped in middle of nowhere Arizona.  It was Manny.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Yes, its a three way.  I have not experienced the same "problems" as Overland has - no pulsing of the lights at any time and I do not find the dimmer to be "super slow".  With this dimmer one can press the "minus" button in order to get the lights to dim a single time and they will dim slightly.  If you want to dim the light as far as they will go (about 20% of available light capacity) you simply hold down the "minus" button for several seconds and then the lights will go to that level.   This dimmer also has an on/off switch - if you have the dimmer "off" then the other regular switches that everyone has will not work to turn the lights on.  Also, when the dimmer switch is "off" it has one of those darn led lights that seem to be everywhere.  Yes, it is a nice pleasing blue that tends to match the radio's blue lights, but, I simply do not like lights in general.

I'm glad that I got a dimmer and this one certainly looks nice and matches the rest of the interior.  However, at the end of the day it is simply a dimmer switch.  I could have been happy with a simple dial/rotary switch that I'm sure would have cost a bunch less money.  Certainly the hardest part to putting one of these in is found in drilling a hole big enough.  With a simple rotary switch one could accomplish this with a drill bit versus the approximate 2"x 3" hole that had to be made for this dimmer.

Bill

• Thanks 1

It seems odd that the person who makes the cushions decides on a small selection of fabrics for all.  Part of attraction of an Oliver...and there are scores of attractions...was the ability to choose custom fabrics for the cushions.  It is sad that option is no longer an option.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

I will say, from someone who has done upholstery, that there is a huge difference in working with different types of fabric.

Not all fabric is equal, and working with a tough one is, well . Tough. And time consuming.. sometimes many hours.And, more expensive from a fabric standpoint when the design doesn't work with the run.

I think Oliver is still working with the original upholstery company. Their work is outstanding. Quality thread and zippers. Mine still look pretty new. Not just a testament to the fabric I chose, but the thread and zippers.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

HMD - I'd be willing to bet that there are a couple of things going on here.  I think that the shop that does this work for Oliver is fairly small.  With the virtual doubling of Oliver's being built, obviously the demand for cushions has also doubled.  In using fabrics that are not "standard" there just has to be more time and effort involved - from Sherry's comments and from just handling "new" stuff coming in and out the door.  In addition, I'm aware of at least a couple of customers that wanted some fairly different "fabric" that simply didn't work and was very difficult to work with.  So, even though there still exists a fairly large array of fabrics/colors from which to choose, I'd bet that these limits have been placed in order to control both workload and "outlying" choices.

Bill