Pop ups

ccarole

Saw a picture the other day here of a Clam pop up and it was discussed how much it was liked. It had screened walls that you could zip on solid wall to block wind etc. .  Don't see anything like that when I go to Clam web site. Maybe they were using "Clam" like people use the word "Kleenex". ? Can't for the life of me find the post here that had that photo and discussion.

So, any opinions on what would be a sturdy, lightweight, easy to erect pop up for extra outdoor room?  I will be traveling with 2 big very active dogs and will need the option of some extra space or may seriously go crazy.

I had a pop up years ago for dog trial events and it was ridiculously heavy and difficult to set up ...... it seems things have come a long way since then. Thank goodness.

Thanks for any ideas,

Carole ....and a couple of Malinois

2016 Legacy Elite II #175

2016 Ram 2500 

Ah, never mind.  See some on Amazon now.  Can't delete post.  :-(

But if anyone feels very strongly about a specific one - I would still love your input!!

2016 Ram 2500 

The Clam is nice, there's one set up here at the Rally and it is probably the best unit out there, but it does come at a higher price. I have a couple different Coleman's and I will be putting up the screen room this afternoon and I will take a picture then. If you want it for the dogs, can they be trusted to not break out the doors thru the zippers? If so, then you may want to go with a Coleman instant tent because it has a floor. Depending on our situation, I usually take the one with the floor. It has screen all the way around and a screen roof but it can still be closed up and used as a tent to keep the rain out when needed.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Thanks! Great video.

I won't be leaving dogs in it on their own so no worries about escaping. My dogs are ALWAYS under my supervision unless crated. The pop up will just be a cozy place for me to hang out and watch the dogs blow off some energy outside. And no worries - I don't let my dogs run around and play outside unless there are no other dogs or people around. This I will only do when not camping near anyone....   :-)

2016 Ram 2500 

Hi, were will be ordering a Clam. Supposedly it folds up into a compact package. Then you can get package of three (or two) and these unfold and snap in. The screens alone in will stop a lot of airflow, so might not be super cool on a hot day. Our prime concern was if length would fit in truck.

On the top right of the main page is a search box. Type in clam and anything simular to Clams or clamps should come up.  Just have to edit as you scan... Try2relax has had one up all summer...

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We have a clam!   It does go up & down very easy.  They are heavy.  And storing in the bed of the f-150 is challenging.  We have been putting in on top of all the totes filled with stuff..... so it has to be shifted or moved to get at anything.  Will be trying something new for the November trip.  Built a crude shelf where the cap bolts onto the truck and will store it there .. along with chairs and other bulky things.    We have a cargo glide so getting to the totes underneath should not be too much of a problem.

In the summer the clam can be hot.  Breezes don't penetrate the netting easily.  It's pretty big so you can fit a couple of camp chairs and a small table in pretty easily.  Sometimes can be tough finding a spot for it in a small campsite.   All in all we are glad we have it.

Scotty

• Thanks 1

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

One of the best things, if your at any campgrounds that have picnic tables The Clam fits over standard 8ft tables, put one end against the far wall and it's like you have a dining hall or perfect location for an 8  person card game.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• Moderators

However - I have the smaller (4 panel) version of the CLAM.  While it will not fit over a picnic table, it does have enough room (barely) for four people and chairs.  The main advantage though is the fact that it fits nicely in the closet of the Oliver.  So, unless you are having a bunch of people over and/or want to have it over the picnic table you might want to consider this smaller version.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Love the clam and it is great for rainy days and I set it up in a couple of minutes. Make sure you just don't stake down the bottom cause in Arkansas a thunderstorm took my Clam and it went airborne, next morning I found it about 50' away.

• Moderators

geO - I'm guessing that you meant to say DO stake down the bottom.  I've used both the stakes and the tethers on the sides out West in some fairly heavy winds and the CLAM has not moved an inch.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"