I don't know what it is, but . . . . .

mountainborn

• Moderators

The Continental Divide, It wanders along the spine of our Nation. A drop of rain that falls there has no choice but to make its way towards either the Atlantic, or the Pacific seaboards.

I don't know just what it is, but I see others, like myself, stopping to take a photo at the Continental Divide. Maybe there are others on these forums that may have also taken a photo somewhere along the divide that they could share with us.

This photo was taken in Northern New Mexico on US Hwy. 550:

06-22-08_0737.jpg

We got a early start after overnighting in the National Forest and as you can see the sunlight is still at a very low angle. The cell service was fantastic there and it was a good opportunity to call home and check voice mail, ect..

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

Well, this isn't *the* Continental Divide but it was taken somewhere very close to the *Eastern* Continental Divide during our recent excursion to Asheville NC, Smoky Mountain National Park, etc. The ECD marks the separation of watersheds that flow to the Gulf of Mexico and Gulf of St. Lawrence vs. those that flow directly into the Atlantic Ocean.

HighPoint.jpg

And no, I have no idea why I took this picture because I used to live at 6,850 feet elevation back in Utah and regularly pulled our rig over the 8,000' Daniels Pass on Rt. 40 east of Park City ... now you know why I drive a diesel!

Cheers,

Stuart

Stuart, I lived in Utah for several years and visited often for many more. My idea of a challenge is pulling up that loooonnnnnggg climb from SLC to Park City. I figure if I get a vehicle that can tow the trailer up that comfortably, I can do whatever I want. I also want to be able to cross the Rockies. Keep in mind that I don't plan to go off on little back roads, etc. Do you agree with my assessment of that climb, or do you think it's not such a big one?

CarolAnn

Stuart, I lived in Utah for several years and visited often for many more. My idea of a challenge is pulling up that loooonnnnnggg climb from SLC to Park City. I figure if I get a vehicle that can tow the trailer up that comfortably, I can do whatever I want. I also want to be able to cross the Rockies. Keep in mind that I don't plan to go off on little back roads, etc. Do you agree with my assessment of that climb, or do you think it's not such a big one?

Hi CarolAnn,

The climb up Parleys Pass on I-80 from the valley floor in SLC at 4200' to Parleys Summit at 7200' was definitely a test of driver and machine. We did that round trip every day commuting to work in SLC because we lived in Park City - if the snow didn't get you the moose would! We'd see snow falling as late as mid-June and as soon as early September.

The first time I towed up that pass was with a 31' Carri-Lite fiver ('Lite' being an advertising word and having nothing to do with actual weight!) and a Dodge V-10 2500 ... by the crest I was down to about 30-35 MPH with the flashers 'on'. Not fun. With our current rig, a 3500 diesel and a 26' TT, I was able to crest the hill with the cruise set at the posted speed limit with the overdrive off. *So* much better!

We did most of our camping out in the Uintas, over towards Strawberry, down in Moab, in Yellowstone/Grand Teton, etc. so we usually left straight from Park City and headed east on either Rt 40 or I-80. If we went north (like up to the Sawtooth in Idaho) we'd go the back way via I-84 down Weber Canyon to Ogden. If we went south towards Bryce or Zion we'd go the back way via Rt 189 through Provo Canyon (another fun one!). Only rarely did we go up or down Parleys with the rig ... probably only once or twice, actually!

Just for grins, here's a picture of our rig the day we picked it up in mid-April 2005. You can see the snow squall that just chased us over Parleys - normally at least half of what looks like sky here would've been mountains. So much for Spring!

Cheers,

Stuart