Has anyone received the fresh water pickup tube kit,, including spin-weld TOOL?

John E Davies

I have been trying for months to get these parts. I finally received this stuff in another shipment.

IMG_3354.thumb.jpg.56933ff35a5b7fb6c5492130a6a6e3fd.jpg

Included were several fittings, one 3/4 FPT PVC spin weld flange fitting, a 24 inch piece of 1/2 inch PEX hose but no tool or instructions of any kind. I have been asking Oliver over and over for a loaner or rental tool so I can do this myself since I have a big router and all the necessary skills.

Before I get too antsy, has anyone here received and installed the FACTORY kit yourself or in a shop, and was a tool included?

VTS-624T-2T.jpg?1466418338

I have not actually sourced a 3/4" tool, maybe they are hard to locate.... here are some other sizes:

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Spin-Weld-Driver-Tool-p/vts-624t.htm

http://www.pellandent.com/RV_Products_List.aspx?CategoryID=60

I guess I can buy one, if I can find it, but I hate to waste $$$$. Do you think it appropriate for Oliver to make available a loaner or rental tool? I am not sure that every RV shop has these, but maybe I am wrong. They are darned pricey.

BTW I am now starting to look forward to boxes from Howenwald since invariably they include one or more surprise easter eggs that I did not order. The last shipment included a 3 inch waste valve.....

Comments are welcome. Got a link to the driver tool in the correct size?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Hey John,

Thanks for posting this! I was just getting ready to do the same after receiving my "kit" a few days ago.

I received the same stuff you did. No instructions or diagram. No spin weld tool or suggestion of where to get one, or tank prep/tips for installation. No mention of the best place to weld the fitting on my tank (Elite1). No mention of the notch in the base of the pickup tube someone posted a picture of.... Also, doesn't that compression fitting still need to be drilled out so the pex can pass through it? Yes, I am a wee bit frustrated. Guess I'll be calling in about it soon.

Still hoping to somehow use the original outflow fitting. My thought is to place the pex in the rt. angle bracket they sent and gently heat it up so it maintains that shape. Then slide it through the comp fitting and attach it to the tank. Access is the big issue for me. But spin welding the fitting won't be a piece of cake either in my little trailer. Maybe with a laminate router there is enough room.... Am I going to be a happy camper when this project is done!

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

I can't imagine what Oliver expects everyone to do with a spin weld fitting and no tools to drive it.

The "tools" required are a router with a 1/2" colette, with at least 1 HP, for that size fitting, and the drive tool itself.  The router must be a certain design that allows for removal of the base plate, has a particular type of switch and is not too long.  Plus it requires an operator that knows how to spin weld, or the tank can be damaged to the point where it becomes very difficult to repair.

That "kit" is further evidence that Oliver just doesn't seem to get it.  Who is the qualified person to do the work and who is responsible when a tank is damaged in the process?  How many RV repair shops have the right router and the experience to install spin welded fittings down in a compartment with limited access?

I designed this repair and all the fittings and procedures required, then I offered to do some installation work out west through my company Active Energy Corporation.  I even called Oliver, and left a message when nobody answered, to see if we can arrange for some of these to be done and discuss how to do it.  A video was posted on the process.  But I have never even had a call back from Oliver.  I'm glad all the new trailers have the improved fittings, but I wonder why they think that simply sending a fitting out to current owners will solve their customers problems.  Now they are even talking about setting up qualified repair stations for other problems, but they only offer silence toward the tank repair.

My water tank pickup tube design is an excellent fix for a mistake Oliver made.  I've done it to mine and I've done it to Reed and Karens trailer.   I've posted pictures of the parts and Reed posted a video of the procedure.  It works perfectly.  I called Oliver to talk to them about it and never heard back.  Then they claimed there wasn't a problem at all.  Now, they are installing it in all their new trailers.  Interesting.

It might be interesting to call Oliver and ask them what they expect you to do with a spin weld fitting and none of the other required parts.

I love my Oliver LE2, but I wonder how they can can be successful while being unable to follow through with repairs, or do warrantee work, without requiring an owner to drive, in some cases, 2000 miles.  There is a lot more infrastructure required than they seem to be willing to deal with.  But they are quick to tell us that we are "part of the Oliver family" once we buy one.  What does that mean exactly?

• Thanks 2

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Hey John, Thanks for posting this! I was just getting ready to do the same after receiving my “kit” a few days ago. I received the same stuff you did. No instructions or diagram. No spin weld tool or suggestion of where to get one, or tank prep/tips for installation. No mention of the best place to weld the fitting on my tank (Elite1). No mention of the notch in the base of the pickup tube someone posted a picture of…. Also, doesn’t that compression fitting still need to be drilled out so the pex can pass through it? Yes, I am a wee bit frustrated. Guess I’ll be calling in about it soon. Still hoping to somehow use the original outflow fitting. My thought is to place the pex in the rt. angle bracket they sent and gently heat it up so it maintains that shape. Then slide it through the comp fitting and attach it to the tank. Access is the big issue for me. But spin welding the fitting won’t be a piece of cake either in my little trailer. Maybe with a laminate router there is enough room…. Am I going to be a happy camper when this project is done! Dave

Dave, personally I would stick to the original plan and just toss the parts they sent into a drawer for back up... Just make the bend with copper, slide it in, and tighten it all down. Their pex fix is good for the Elite II, but it looks like they are just sending out the parts because they were caught off guard and are scratching their heads when it comes to the Elite I... Basically they sent you parts that you really can't use in your application because they haven't been lead through that fix yet.

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Raspy, is that your company in the Bay Area?  Redwood City?  If it is would you be willing to install this fix in my Oliver as well?  I'm in Redding, CA for a while and would love to get this fix installed.

Thank you,

John

John Marilyn and Gracie

2017 Legacy Elite II Hull 172

TV 2017 F250 Diesel 

I rec'd the "kit" along with some drawer fix screws. No explanation. I wasn't expecting it. It just showed up. The tube won't fit in the fitting. I called Scott. He wasn't aware there was a problem with that, he was out west hunting, they were doing it at the factory. He would find out and have someone get back to me. Still waiting. He said there was a video. I can not find any video. Still waiting. I went to a local shop and they told me that they didn't know anyone that did spin welding. That being said, come time to winterize, you better get all the water out of that tank. We raised the front way up, on a block, as far as we could, to drain. We then lowered it to level, pumped in a little antifreeze. Jacked it back up to drain whatever we could.  We will flush the tank really well in the Spring. Then we will sanitize the system, which we had planned to do anyway. Wonder if we will still be waiting? Any instructions should include what to use for a tool shouldn't it?

Raspy, is that your company in the Bay Area? Redwood City? If it is would you be willing to install this fix in my Oliver as well? I’m in Redding, CA for a while and would love to get this fix installed. Thank you, John

John,

Yes, that's me.  I can help with the installation.  Please PM me with your number and I'll call you back.

John

John

• Moderator+

I would expect that Oliver figures if you order a kit you are smart enough, have the proper tools and are able to do the job yourself.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I would expect that Oliver figures if you order a kit you are smart enough, have the proper tools and are able to do the job yourself.

That's not the case at all.  The "kit" includes the cheapest and simplest parts required.  The tools and knowhow needed are far bigger issues.  Not everyone is going to be willing to spend several hundred dollars for tools, learn a new skill and order special fittings, to fix what should be done at the factory.  The tank fitting is a very small part of the overall fix.

John

I rec'd the kit. I did not order the kit. I didn't know the kit was coming. That being said, after reading the forum on the issue and watching a spin weld video, I think I could do it if I had the proper tools. What I assume the steps are: fitting spin welded to tank, fitting drilled out to take tubing, tubing lowered to 1/4" of bottom of tank. Then , because of the included 90* bend, we bend the tubing. Where it goes from there is a mystery. Why two butt splices? What gets cut, how long are the cut pieces? Evidently the original exit port doesn't get closed, or the kit would have included a plug. Do you have to buy a plug or a valve? We also want the accumulator. How does that get plumbed in? Would it be best to do at the same time? So many questions. Still waiting for answers...

Canoe,

You'll have to study the photos I've posted and the video that Reed posted.

You have to hole saw a hole in the top of the tank before the fitting goes on.  The proper fitting goes to the bottom of the tank, not above the bottom.  The T and the valve are shown in my photos.  You need about 3' of pex with crimp or pinch fittings and the tool to use them.  The router and the spin tool are the big items.

I see no use for some of what Oliver sends in their "kit".

John

• Moderator+

I am at the factory and have spoken to Scott about these issues.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Smart? Yes.

Ability? Yes.

Tools? Got everything except the unobtanium special installation fitting/ tool, which is a specialty item nobody would be expected to have unless they are in the business of building tanks.

The only reason I have been waiting for an official Oliver approved kit is that I wanted to do it in the factory approved way. If I can’t get them to pull their heads out of their .... uhmmmm ... hats, then I suppose I will have to come up with a less official solution.

I still haven’t heard back from my latest email so I am going to call again.

The thing that bothers me so much about this entire subject is that it took ten YEARS for them to even realize there was a fundamental critical design flaw of the fresh tank.

I am waiting anxiously to hear what Scott Oliver has to say.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I am at the factory and have spoken to Scott about these issues.

What did he say????????

John