CATCH N' RELEASE CATFISH

mountainborn

• Moderators

This morning as the sunrise lit up the Bear Creek inlet on Lake Greeson, we rounded the end of Cigar Island. There were two jugs that we had cast the evening before, that were standing up, waving and moving on out, down the inlet. Here is the first video in the series. I am kind of anxious because my buddy is asking me to put down the camera and help with the fish. But I tell him that I am going to video and his daughter and he will be just fine. The daughter dips up the jug, and the rest is history.

th_07-16-08_0705.jpg

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

When the large fish entered the net, I accidently bumped the stop button and ended the video a bit early. The old timers have a saying about someone that gets excited and misses a good buck. They call it "buck fever". I wonder if I was experiencing a touch of fish fever ? He, He. . .

In the next video of the series, the fish is aboard and the father / daughter team removes the hook, checks the fish's condition and weighs it:

th_07-16-08_0708.jpg

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Fish Fever again ! I cut that video a bit short also ! In this next video we release the fish back into the lake wondering if we might ever see or catch it again !

th_07-16-08_0709.jpg

• Moderators

Just for perspective, here is a "good eatin' " size catfish, the next fish that we landed that morning, for comparison. After seeing that 32 pounder in the above videos, this six pounder looks pretty small, then we hear the actual weight:

th_07-16-08_0713.jpg

• Moderators

Later this morning we land a Gar. Gar fish very hard. Their torpedo shaped body gives them great speed and their rows of razor sharp theeth make them a formidable predator. Though a Gar is a bit difficult to handle, are quite slimey and are odoriferous, they are quite tasty !

Here is the video:

th_07-16-08_0756.jpg

That's some fish! Thanks for the videos / picture ...

This reminds me of two bumper stickers that I used to see at one of the local marinas (both on the same car, a Jaguar convertible) :

"Practice Catch & Release : Get A Divorce"

"I Still Miss My Ex, But My Aim Is Improving".

Been married 23 years to the same DW, so I don't subscribe to either these. ;)

Cheers,

Stuart

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

I saw this article today, and couldn't help but think of you and your catfish stories, Mountainborn.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,407901,00.html

A man in Wilkes County NC caught a record-breaking catfish... on his granddaughter's "Barbie" pink fishing rod... As Paul Harvey (sort of) used to say, click the link 'for the rest of the story....."

barbiecatfish.jpg

Sherry

PS I see a lot of times where others are able to bring photos from outside sources & websites into their posts. I don't know how to do this... just how to copy and paste the links. Can anyone offer instructions? Sherry

Edited to include photo

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Thanks for the link ! Great story. I usually right click, select save as, then up load the photo to photobucket and post the appropriate link from there that will show the photo in the post I make on the forums.