No Stow Mode-Keep Ollie Plugged in All Winter?

212Tolly

We are used to Airstreams that have a Stow Mode switch.  And, we would remove batteries and place on trickle charger during winter. Is their a main electrical cut off switch on Oliver?  How do you handle batteries in the winter or do you just leave plugged in all the time??  I'm not mechanical and appreciate any advice!!!

Fortunately, mine fits in the garage and it is always plugged in.  The garage is heated from waste solar heat, so I never have to winterize it.

Point is:  Always plugged in doesn't hurt a thing.  Fully charged batteries are freeze resistant.  The Ollie battery charger won't hurt your batteries.

When it's freezing, but not extremely cold, my other trailer, outside, has heat tape on the water supply and an electric heater on low inside.  Still not worried about the batteries if they are on a charger, but I don't leave that one plugged in all the time because it is not a smart charger.

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Jason Essary at Oliver advised me that the only way to make sure there is no drain on the batteries in storage is to disconnect the cable to the negative post in the battery compartment.  I have 4 6-volt AGM batteries.  There is a main negative cable that is easy to disconnect.  This is the method I used until yesterday.

I now have electricity in my indoor storage space, so I won't have to do this in the future!

Don

• Thanks 3

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

As John said, plugged in to a standard 15A circuit is fine, the Oliver electric system will keep them safe. Or, if you have solar, just leave it outside and your fine.

If your choice is to disconnect, then that isn't as easy, there isn't a main switch, but you can get a battery terminal cutoff switch on Amazon, about $10, and install it to break the circuit.

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• Moderators

We stay plugged in when not traveling. We keep the fridge running all the time too. If you have the capability I would keep it plugged in whether you winterize or not. We don’t winterize down here and travel almost all year round, so it’s nice to be always ready to go. Mike

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Tolly, There have been discussions on this topic before. There are breakers that can shut off power, that are located under the street side bed. Photos here and here. The positions of the breakers may be different on newer units; they are different on mine. Rather than having to lift the bed to shut off power, I installed a battery disconnect switch. Easy to install and easy to use.

• Thanks 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

We will winterize soon.  Seems simple enough with the great video of the process. And, we will keep 212Tolly plugged in all winter and see how we do with the batteries. We are new to Oliver as of April this year so our first winter. Thanks for all the good thoughts!!