HOW TO: Fresh water tank suction tube mod - NO SPIN WELDING REQUIRED.

John E Davies

34 minutes ago, JohnL said:

Is this a problem that has been corrected in the production of later models? My LE II #769 rolled off the line 03/2021.

They started doing the freshwater pickup tube mod as standard equipment some time in mid to late 2017, I think, by having their tanks delivered to the factory with the correct large fitting in the top. They were made aware of the serious design flaw before that, by angry owners, and were offering to fix older trailers gratis, if you drove to Tennessee. The factory fix for the old trailers involves adding a new “spin welded” fitting on top to allow the installation of a suction “dip” tube, and they will also change some of the connected plumbing. This should be a free in the field repair IMHO, I am sure many owners who live 2500 miles away never have plans to return there….. like me. It does require a substantial 20,000 rpm router and the very special spin weld “fixture” to do the job. Four years ago that fixture was about $140, IF you could even find one. And the job is not for the timid or faint of heart.

https://www.dukane.com/plastic-welding-process/what-is-spin-welding/

My hull number 218, delivered in 05/2017,  was certainly one of the affected ones, but I do not know the cutoff date or hull number. I would guess anything made after 2017 would be fine. If somebody can supply me with the information, I will add it to the top of this thread. Thanks.

FYI it is super easy to see if your tank has the current design top pickup (suction) tube, it comes out of the top right (street side) corner. Older tanks have no fitting or tube on top anywhere, other that the big vent line way to the front of the tank. If somebody could send me a picture, I can add it here. Maybe it is shown in a factory tour picture of the tanks and plumbing….

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

On 10/26/2017 at 8:31 PM, John E Davies said:

EDIT 10/31/21. Oliver will do the spin weld mod free if you visit the factory.

My itemized quote from Oliver was $400 ..

• Wow 2

2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Sport 5.7L V8 

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Hull #184 ~ "ILOVHER"

csevel,

That price of $400.00 from Oliver is really unfortunate, and way too high! Especially since it was their bad design (in this case) causing the problem. They should own up and at least do the job at their cost.

Spinwelding a new fitting on the top of your tank, as another option, is not that hard, and tooling up is not as expensive as has been described. You will need a router, the driving tool, the threaded fitting, and the rest of the associated plumbing parts (pex line, a good crimper, etc.). I had most of the tools already except the driving tool.

I got my driving tool and fittings here: https://www.spinwelding.com/products.html

The driving tool was $67.50 (2017 price). The fittings are cheap, buy several so you can practice on a piece of scrap to get a feel for the process. I went to a local plastic tank manufacturer and they gave me some scraps for free. With all the tools/parts in hand, one person can do the job in a couple hours. There will probably be some prep time as well depending on your tools, skills, and access to materials. There is a great video of Raspy helping out another old Oliver owner Reed Lukens getting his tank retrofitted:

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2006-fresh-water-tank-modification-new-suction-line/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-17879

Scroll down page 2 for videos, hope they still work.

You will have to carefully ream out the compression fitting so the pex or copper pickup tube can slide all the way through. It's brass and drills easily. There are a few threads on the forum about this process.

Since Oliver would have all these tools and associated parts readily at hand with no fussing about, to charge 400 bucks is quite a bit over the top.

A link to my old post on the subject:

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2707-my-water-tank-odyssey/?tab=comments#comment-25446

Personally, I like the pex pickup tube over the copper, but can't say definitively which is better. Both seem to have worked great. Definitely a mod worth doing if you boondock a lot. Good luck.

Dave

• Like 4

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

2 minutes ago, csevel said:
44 minutes ago, DavePhelps said:

csevel,

That price of $400.00 from Oliver is really unfortunate, and way too high! Especially since it was their bad design (in this case) causing the problem. They should own up and at least do the job at their cost.

Spinwelding a new fitting on the top of your tank, as another option, is not that hard, and tooling up is not as expensive as has been described. You will need a router, the driving tool, the threaded fitting, and the rest of the associated plumbing parts (pex line, a good crimper, etc.). I had most of the tools already except the driving tool.

I got my driving tool and fittings here: https://www.spinwelding.com/products.html

The driving tool was $67.50 (2017 price). The fittings are cheap, buy several so you can practice on a piece of scrap to get a feel for the process. I went to a local plastic tank manufacturer and they gave me some scraps for free. With all the tools/parts in hand, one person can do the job in a couple hours. There will probably be some prep time as well depending on your tools, skills, and access to materials. There is a great video of Raspy helping out another old Oliver owner Reed Lukens getting his tank retrofitted:

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2006-fresh-water-tank-modification-new-suction-line/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-17879

Scroll down page 2 for videos, hope they still work.

You will have to carefully ream out the compression fitting so the pex or copper pickup tube can slide all the way through. It's brass and drills easily. There are a few threads on the forum about this process.

Since Oliver would have all these tools and associated parts readily at hand with no fussing about, to charge 400 bucks is quite a bit over the top.

A link to my old post on the subject:

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2707-my-water-tank-odyssey/?tab=comments#comment-25446

Personally, I like the pex pickup tube over the copper, but can't say definitively which is better. Both seem to have worked great. Definitely a mod worth doing if you boondock a lot. Good luck.

Dave

I am in no way knowledgable or skilled enough to tackle this mod on my own which is why I contacted Oliver in the first place.  The previous owners of my trailer did not use it boondocking and probably had no idea that 10 to 12 gallons of water wasn't available or was being done under warranty.  Because the Ollie sat during their unfortunate illness, they never knew to have it corrected.  I'm a bit miffed as I think my trailer should be grand fathered in!  Seeing as I've already shown my trailer to two prospective buyers, I'd like to think this would be sort of prudent for them to do.

Expand  

I am in no way knowledgable or skilled enough to tackle this mod on my own which is why I contacted Oliver in the first place.  The previous owners of my trailer did not use it boondocking and probably had no idea that 10 to 12 gallons of water wasn't available or was being done under warranty.  Because the Ollie sat during their unfortunate illness, they never knew to have it corrected.  I'm a bit miffed as I think my trailer should be grand fathered in!  Seeing as I've already shown my trailer to two prospective buyers, I'd like to think this would be sort of prudent for them to do.

• Like 4

• Administrators

I have talked to the service department and management. We will take care of the tank modification for free if you can bring it to our service center in Tennessee. You will need to call 1-888-526-3978 to schedule the tank modification. Let me know if you have any questions!

• Thanks 4
  • Like 3

Matt Duncan

Marketing Consultant, Oliver Travel Trailers

Matt, that is simply wonderful news, it will make a lot of owners of older trailers very happy. If you have their contact info, it would be very gracious if you would email them with that offer. Many do not participate here, and would not otherwise know about it..

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

51 minutes ago, MDuncan said:

I have talked to the service department and management. We will take care of the tank modification for free if you can bring it to our service center in Tennessee. You will need to call 1-888-526-3978 to schedule the tank modification. Let me know if you have any questions!

Matt, can Oliver tell us the Hull # of the last Ollie built before the design mod was implemented?

Thanks!

Jim

Jim & Mary

Bozeman, Montana

2017 Legacy Elite II-Hull #294

2019 GMC Sierra 2500

• Administrators
1 hour ago, RunninOnMT said:

Matt, can Oliver tell us the Hull # of the last Ollie built before the design mod was implemented?

Thanks!

Jim

I will try to find out tomorrow. Originally we mailed everyone a kit. Some of you got it and did the modification on your own. Some brought their units in to us and we did it. It's been a long time since we have looked at it and might take a few days to figure it out again.

• Like 5

Matt Duncan

Marketing Consultant, Oliver Travel Trailers

1 hour ago, MDuncan said:

I will try to find out tomorrow. Originally we mailed everyone a kit. Some of you got it and did the modification on your own. Some brought their units in to us and we did it. It's been a long time since we have looked at it and might take a few days to figure it out again.

Thanks very much, Matt!!

Jim & Mary

Bozeman, Montana

2017 Legacy Elite II-Hull #294

2019 GMC Sierra 2500

Wow, This is just exemplary service!  I will be calling to see when I can come in the spring since I've already put  ILOVHER down for her winter nap.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that our Elite 2 has the “new” configuration of pump suction.   We have hull no.  372 with a pickup date of August 2018.

There is a fitting on the top of the tank about 1 foot from the aft end with apparently a suction tube extending into the tank.  This is in addition to the 2 tubes on the side at aft end for fill and drain functions. The line at the top routes to the suction side of the pump so is obviously the suction tube.  On a recent dry camping trip, we experienced cavitation at about 10% indicated on the level meter. I think 13% was the last good reading and at at about 8% could not draw anything (from memory and don’t exactly remember resolution increments of level meter). When draining (and raising front end) it seemed like a substantial amount of water drained, but I did not measure. Probably no more than 5 gallons. 

• Like 3

Garry and Kristi

Apex, NC

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull 372

TV 2015 Ram 1500 3.0 L EcoDiesel

image.jpeg.aed3a6aa6cd2b2679a4845e1ea98a981.jpeg

• 3 months later...

We recently purchased a 2015 LE2 and I don't believe,  best I Can see, that this fresh water tank mod has been performed yet. Before I reach out to Oliver Service per Matt's invitation, can someone look at the photos I'm going to attach, and confirm? I've watched the videos and read the descriptions... I'm almost certain we need this done. There is no access on the top of the tank that I can see.

Thanks!  Alberta

20220303_124711.jpg

20220303_124633.jpg

Alberta & Randy

2015 LE II / 2016 Chevy 2500 WT

• Moderators

@Alberta and Randy, Oliver will perform the update for you at no charge if you take the trailer to Hohenwald. 

Open a service ticket, with hull and vin #. They will know if the update has been done, or not, at their facility.

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

29 minutes ago, Alberta and Randy said:

We recently purchased a 2015 LE2 and I don't believe,  best I Can see, that this fresh water tank mod has been performed yet. Before I reach out to Oliver Service per Matt's invitation, can someone look at the photos I'm going to attach, and confirm? I've watched the videos and read the descriptions... I'm almost certain we need this done. There is no access on the top of the tank that I can see.

Thanks!  Alberta

That tank has not been updated, I annotated your last pic so you can see where the new plumbing parts will be installed, roughly.

CA39564F-13BC-41CE-99C4-0413A16D48D5.thumb.jpeg.75b4b7b6718debc4d1851c191ad23133.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Alberta and Randy - 

Both SeaDawg and JD are correct.  Your tank should look something like the picture below when it is done.  Note that there is no issue with using your tank as it is presently configured with the exception that you can not use ALL of the contents of that tank.

P1010424.JPG

P1010420.JPG

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderator+
On 10/30/2021 at 12:15 PM, JohnL said:

Is this a problem that has been corrected in the production of later models? My LE II #769 rolled off the line 03/2021.

This is a nonissue for all trailers manufactured in the past 4 years or better. 

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 5 months later...

My pump started to pump air with my meter showing 19%. The trailer is parked, level. It's Hull 841 so I assume it's got the updated plumbing. Didn't try to raise the tongue or anything. Just filled up the tank again with a hose. 

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

7 hours ago, Cameron said:

My pump started to pump air with my meter showing 19%. The trailer is parked, level. It's Hull 841 so I assume it's got the updated plumbing. Didn't try to raise the tongue or anything. Just filled up the tank again with a hose. 

There may be an error in your gauge, the only way to really know is to look at the water level in the tank, using a strong light, or do a bucket test - fill the tank completely, then pump it all out using the outside shower into a five gallon bucket, dump, then repeat, to measure the real volume. If you are not getting most of the water, the suction tube may not be down all the way.. that would mean opening a service ticket. And make sure the trailer is really level, do not trust that little bubble on the jack, use the frame or the floor with a 12” or longer carpenters level, not your phone. If the hitch is even a little low it will make it hard to get out that last bit of water. The tank is long and short in height.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

The SeeLevel monitor must be an industry favorite because in the past, when I was deciding whether or not I wanted a trailer, I rented a Jayco and also an Airstream. Both had the same SeeLevel monitor. It definitely wasn't accurate with those two trailers tanks. I like your advice John, and I'm going to do that just because I'm curious. If it turns out that I can pull out 30 gallons and the SeeLevel still says I have 20% left, I won't be surprised. That's why if I'm going boondocking I always have extra water jugs.

• Like 4

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

• 1 year later...

Bumping an old thread, owners of newly acquired older hulls may not be aware of this.

It really should be a factory Service Bulletin.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Moderators

Since we are "bumping an old thread" on this old subject for the benefit of the owners of older Ollies then we should also bump THIS THREAD which gives more background, frustrations/compliments by owners and explanations by Oliver staff along with what should be done if you are the owner of any Oliver with this problem that has not been previously fixed.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"