Don aka donk1100 Elite 2

donk1100

Depending upon how "loaded" you ordered it, some of the IIs are around 5000lbs at which point you should be fine, as far as specs. Where you take it will decide whether you find it wanting for more power.

Welcome to the family, here come the slowest few months while you wait. Try not to buy too much stuff before you actually find what you need...

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Where do you live, and do you plan to tow across steep mountain passes? If you live above 4000 ft and need to go over high country, you need more truck.

Welcome to the forums.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Dear Donk (I just had to say that) -

I too had a Taco with the v6.  I never towed my Oliver with it but in towing a 3,500 pound stick built several years ago I ran into a 40 mph head wind while headed West across Kansas.  Yes, the truck did pull that camper, but, my gas mileage was 4 mpg.  As bad as that was what made it really bad was the small size of the gas tank.  In some cases bigger really is better - size does matter.

Bill

p.s.  great decision on the Elite II.  It really is all that it is cracked up to be and more.  However, the wait really does seem terribly long.  Welcome to the family!

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thank you for the information.  Live in Santa Rosa beach Fl.  From Anita's estimate, I am looking at less than 6k loaded.  I would like to be able to go over any interstate pass.  Hope to tour the West, Alaska, and far north East (Nova Scotia etc).  Donk

Dear Donk, I think you'll be ok if you want to go slowly at first. My old 1995 F-250 has 210 HP, but does have over 400 ft. pounds of torque. It shifts down ever so often in the molehill mountains of TN and KY, but really does the job fine. As you can see my truck is 22 years old and needs updating badly but I'm waiting to find a "Good" buy. Thinking of a Ford F-150 3.5 Ecoboost or I might go for the F-150 diesel coming out in the Spring of 2018. I have found a nice truck I like in a town not far away but the $63,000 price for this F-250 diesel with SuperCab, LongBed and 4X4 and Lariat upgrade is a lot of mou-la. But it also has 440HP and 925 ft.lbs of torque. My truck now has just 54K miles on it and no rust, but some parts had to be rebuilt as Ford doesn't make them anymore. I have heard good things about the Chevy Duramax if you would be interested in a diesel. I also heard that some diesels now have too much EPA crap on them and don't run well because of that. I'm thinking of just spending the money and going for what I really want. My wife wants the upgrade to leather and so on. Life is short and living in our truck for hours on end will be much nicer with more room and higher quality interior than just an old work truck.

I remember the story of my friend's wife when they first got their heavy 16' camper. They were going up quite a mountain in one of the southern states and it was a winding, narrow highway with no passing zones most of the way. Their old pickup would barely pull their heavy trailer and it was slow going. She was kind of reluctant to look back and see what was behind them, but when she did, she was aghast at the long line of vehicles in line that they were holding up. She said it looked like there were five miles of cars behind them! Quite a funny story, unless that vehicle in front is YOU! LOL

J-Rhett

Oliver Legacy Elite II (Irog)

1995 Ford F-250 x4 Turbo Diesel

Trek Bikes, Hobie Cat Kayak

• Moderators
Thank you for the information. Live in Santa Rosa beach Fl. From Anita’s estimate, I am looking at less than 6k loaded. I would like to be able to go over any interstate pass. Hope to tour the West, Alaska, and far north East (Nova Scotia etc). Donk

Don, we just returned from a month in Colorado. As much as I liked my Tacoma, I’m glad I had a big truck - not so much for going up the many inclines but more for the downhills. Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

My 2017 V6 Colorado has 7000lb towing capacity, and I was wondering if that would be OK.

Hope to meet you all at the next gathering. Don and Beverly

OK, at best with not much extra, you should really check into what the tongue will do as far as dropping the back of the truck and go from there. I would add 600lbs to the back and measure the drop. You may need to add air bags or go with a weight distribution hitch. It says 7000 but I couldn't find an accurate tongue weight for the Colorado, so you need to look on the frame rail of the driver's side door. Plus you will want the max tow package or some way of downshifting for steep downhill runs.

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II