Hitch mounted step

SeaDawg

• Moderators

I'm sort of short. Paul keeps a little Rubbermaid folding ladder in the big truck for me, but I'm thinking about asking for a receiver mounted step for my Silverado for Christmas.

We rarely tow with my little truck any more.im thinking about one of those folding steps, hitch mounted.

Anyone have a good choice?

I saw several online today, like this one.

Screenshot_20171103-160320.thumb.png.25cc2e6a00ed3164b753dd801c8ea1cc.png

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I haven’t personally used one,  but you need to look for a large grippy platform and a mounting system that eliminates flopping back and forth, and ideally it should work with the gate up or down.

These are pricy but they are much better, WAY better, than what you posted. AMP makes top grade accessories like the power retractible side steps you see on lifted trucks....

Slider_bedstep_new.jpg

https://www.pickupspecialties.com/Power_Step/truck_bed_step_bedstep.htm

Keep in mind that you will be using it in the dark, when rainy or muddy, and you need to be sure you won’t slip off. That would ruin your day.... there are a whole lot of unsafe, poorly made truck accessories - a step is something that you don’t want to skimp on quality.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

So long as you only want it to get you over the closed tailgate, that one will work well. But as John points out, the corner steps allow you to use it when the gate is open. Most trucks were made with mounting points so that you should be able to do a no drill installation, that is my criteria for anything, I hate doing holes in original equipment.

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• Moderators

Having "missed" one of those little steps on stepping out of a truck several years ago, I can attest to the bigger is better thing.  Broken ribs are not a bunch of fun.  In my defense - it was dark, rainy and I was in a hurry, but, that didn't make the ribs feel any better.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

When I still had a pickup, I would put one foot on top of the real tire and climb over the side. Always worked pretty good. Stan

And they do make tire steps that fit over the tire and these do work great :)

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

Stan/Commanche, if I were as talk as you, I wouldn't need the step in my little truck. But I know you are at least 8 inches taller than I am.

John e Davies, your solution is brilliant,and super safe, and allows me to access the bed if the gate is down.... but unavailable for my older stepside truck.

Great solutions from so many. And thanks.

My truck is not the primary tow, and I don't drive at night or rough conditions.

Just looking for a safe step up to retrieve stuff from the cab side of the bed, and not carry a step ladder.

I cut a plank to corral items in the rear of the bed, but I often forget it in the garage.

The corner step (Jed),:and the tire step, could be great additions to our primary tow, and I thank you.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.