CO Alarm was beeping

geO

My wife and I were out riding our bikes and when we returned our next door campers said they herd 4 loud beeps coming from our Oliver like every minute or so. We only had the A/C running so our dog would keep cool. I went inside and checked the alarms and everything seemed fine and it has not sounded since.

What could have caused the Co alarm to go off? It was not chirping as if the batteries need replacement.

• Moderators

Are you sure it was the CO alarm?  I've had the propane alarm go off for no apparent reason.  Maybe your pup was having one hell of a party?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Ours did that once. Our dog has a bed that sits under the dining table and he had his head next to the alarm...We repositioned his bed.  That solved our problem.????

Yvonne & Doug

2017 Legacy Elite II, twin bed

Hull #223

2017 Ford F-250 Lariat, crew cab

As Yvonne & Doug said, I saw a YouTube video years back of someone having the same problem, with the same cause, they actually had video of it happening and it was pretty comical.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

The fellow campers told me they heard 4 beeps about every minute or so. They walked around the trailer and thought it was the solar panels. I looked online and what kind of alarm it was. Crazy because I've tested both and all is well. Have not had another alarm go off. Crazy folks!

• Moderators
We used aerosol spray close to Ollie’s dinette and set off the propane alarm last year. Our propane alarm works great, too! Were any aerosol sprays used previous to the alarm? Here’s additional information about aerosol spray and propellants used: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol_spray

This has happened to us too. Hair spray!  I’ve also heard of dogs sleeping under the dinette causing an alarm due to a bit of methane escaping. Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

OK, Mike - you ought to know that a little too much hair spray is not good for you.  I assume that Carol has counselled you on this?

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks for all the info folks. I really don't know if my dog was under the dinette or not. Everything seems fine and I was a little concerned when I got home from my bike ride and found out what had happened. maybe I should keep my gopro camera running when we are out and take a look what my doggie is doing when we are gone.

• Moderators

You said you left the ac running, as I might do as well if I had a dog inside, and thought temps would rise.

The ac takes in and exhausts air.

I remember one night when we had the grill running near the trailer, with the back window cracked and the exhaust fan running. The alarm went off in the trailer.

When I closed the rear window, the alarm stopped.

I wonder if someone near you ran a grill or genset?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

Brad, I believe in Sherry's case the culprit was the fact the rear window was open with the exhaust fan (rather than the AC) running, allowing evil vapors to enter the coach and subsequently set off the CO detector.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I assume you have the dual CO and smoke detector like ours.  You checked which lignt was flashing?

I'm having problems wirh ours (new in July).  It's the smoke section.  All was fine until we set off the alarm on the road and since then it's become overly sensitive and sounds off frequently with no reason.

I assume you have the dual CO and smoke detector like ours. You checked which lignt was flashing? I’m having problems wirh ours (new in July). It’s the smoke section. All was fine until we set off the alarm on the road and since then it’s become overly sensitive and sounds off frequently with no reason.

The unit you are talking about is a smoke/ co detector located in back up high. The propane detector under discussion here  is the one located under the dinette table, since propane is heavier than air the unit must be near the floor (and close to dog butts)....

If your smoke detector is going off you can try to clean it, dust can cause false alarms. Remove it and blow it our with compressed air, that may fix it. Sonetimes they just fail and you have to replace them

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 1 year later...

I assume you have the dual CO and smoke detector like ours. You checked which lignt was flashing? I’m having problems wirh ours (new in July). It’s the smoke section. All was fine until we set off the alarm on the road and since then it’s become overly sensitive and sounds off frequently with no reason.

The unit you are talking about is a smoke/ co detector located in back up high. The propane detector under discussion here is the one located under the dinette table, since propane is heavier than air the unit must be near the floor (and close to dog butts)….

If your smoke detector is going off you can try to clean it, dust can cause false alarms. Remove it and blow it our with compressed air, that may fix it. Sonetimes they just fail and you have to replace them

John Davies

Spokane WA

John, In my search for answers to my smoke alarm going off last night for no apparent reason I found this thread. There are no others regarding the combo smoke/carbon monoxide First Alert alarm. After changing the batteries and cleaning it to no avail I called First Alert. Seems the alarm is made in Canada and they cannot send me an exact replacement. RV alarms are different than the typical home alarm as RV's tend to get dirty faster, small enclosed space, and consequent problems. Any idea which model number I should get to replace this animal? The closest thing I found on amazon was model #SCO5CN but the nice lady at First Alert told me not to buy it for the above reason of it being a home alarm and not an RV alarm. I have not tried to blow out the one I have with a compressor but it is worth a try. My wife was ready to throw it or herself out the window last night at 3am. We were running air conditioning and I thought perhaps the air got too heavy here in Florida and the alarm thought it was smoke. But even later this afternoon the same thing happened again after several hours of no problems.

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

• Moderators

My smoke alarm started going off for no reason a year and a half ago. I googled it and it seems that they wear out. I ordered a replacement on Amazon, same model number. It fit on the factory mount and has been quiet since installation.

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

My smoke alarm started going off for no reason a year and a half ago. I googled it and it seems that they wear out. I ordered a replacement on Amazon, same model number. It fit on the factory mount and has been quiet since installation.

Same model number no longer found on amazon. Closest I found was number listed above in my earlier post. I did contact the Oliver service department. I have removed the defective alarm from our trailer.

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

We had problems like you are having with the one in our Casita, we tried cleaning it per factory instructions, but nothing ever corrected the problem. I called Casita and they sent me a new on at no charge, trailer was still under warranty and I changed it out myself. So far the new one is working fine, my suggestion is to replace it and be done with it, going off all the time is really an annoyance when you can't find a reason for it and why in happening.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• 2 weeks later...

My Propane/CO monitor went off indicating Propane for no apparent reason last night. Smelled nothing. Aired out the cabin, fault cleared, no more faults since. IDK

ALAZARCOFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMNMSMOMTNMNCOHSCSDTNTXUTWYmed.jpg

Ray and Betty Jo Bayless

Our two pups Muffinz and Maddie

2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax 6.6 liter 4WD Crew 

2018 Oliver LE2 Twin Bed, Hull #322, Our Igloo on Wheels