Got me my Tow Vehicle today

MrBig1

Sometimes a trip to a dealership can take forever. Today was not one of those days. I finally pulled the plug on my new TV and purchased a Chevy 4WD, Diesel, AT, 2500 truck. I like it, drives nice, rides good and most importantly I feel like I got a good deal. Now I just have for wait until April to get my LE2. Things are coming together. I can't thank you guys enough for helping me pick the right one for me.

• Thanks 4

ALAZARCOFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMNMSMOMTNMNCOHSCSDTNTXUTWYmed.jpg

Ray and Betty Jo Bayless

Our two pups Muffinz and Maddie

2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax 6.6 liter 4WD Crew 

2018 Oliver LE2 Twin Bed, Hull #322, Our Igloo on Wheels

• Moderator+

Now you're talkin'. What color did you get?  This will be everything you ever need (and more) to pull that Ollie in style anywhere you every want to go.  That truck has enough umpf to pull a stump out of the ground!

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Now you’re talkin’. What color did you get? This will be everything you ever need (and more) to pull that Ollie in style anywhere you every want to go. That truck has enough umpf to pull a stump out of the ground!

Steve, I got a grey truck. We had the external markings on the LE2 done in lt.grey and maroon. The wife wanted something close and I like grey anyway because it doesn't show dirt very bad. I'll post some pictures when I figure out how. Sure it's not hard. The main reason I bought the diesel was your experience at 10-12k feet. I plan to camp White River National Forest quite a bit and the elevations there can require people to acclimate for a couple of days at a lower altitude. Never thought of a naturally aspirated engine starving for oxygen.

Plenty of time to get it broken in! Mike

That's right Mike. Should be able to get the first oil change under my belt anyway.

They sure have quieted these trucks down. Doesn't even sound like diesels I'm used to.

Congrats!!! We have the same TV, just a tad older (2006), and it pulled our LE2 effortlessly. Enjoy!! -Angela

Angela, what kind of fuel consumption are you guys seeing? Steve said he was getting some around 14mpg. I bet that is loaded or not. lol Big tank on this thing.

Ray and Betty Jo Bayless

Loading pics is pretty easy, at the bottom of the page after typing your message, there's a little box on the left with a "select" button. Just click that, then it will give you a choice to choose where your pics are stored. Be sure to have "thumbnails" selected on your computer or phone already, so it shows your actual pictures, click on the one you want to place, and then click the "insert into content" button that comes up in the same place as the select button is.

Congrats on the new truck :) I was set on buying that one also but a lot of people had the half ton on here and no problems had been mentioned about them until now... So I went that way, a few weeks ago... but we won't be able to stay at high elevations ourselves anyway, because Karen starts getting low oxygen alerts every time we are above 7000' and gets serious high altitude sickness every time, to the point that I need to know what elevation that we are going to be at before hand. Which is another one of the reasons we are over on the coast so much :) We live at 4000', which keeps her acclimated and good to 7000' but anything above that is not safe for her, so I end up racing over the continental divide and really monitoring her oxygen level until we're back below 7000'.

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

First, nice truck MrBig1.  Certainly this puppy should do just about anything you will ever want it to do.  Virtually all of the current trucks on the market are so very different from the ones we grew up with - quiet, comfortable and come with all the bells and whistles.  I'm sure that you will have a great time with it AND the new Ollie.

Second, I'm not sure that I really understand this issue regarding gas engines at altitude.  OK, my 2017 has twin turbos which certainly force more air into the six cylinder engine, but, I have never had a single problem or noticed any difference in engine performance with either this engine or the same engine in my "old" 2011 truck.  Therefore, can I assume that everyone is talking about n0n-turbo engines?  If that is the case I still find it hard to believe that current engine management systems do not have the ability to adjust for the thinner air.  Certainly today's diesels are very nice (particularly as compared to just a few years ago), but, they are still very expensive in the short run.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Karen starts getting low oxygen alerts every time we are above 7000′ and gets serious high altitude sickness every time, to the point that I need to know what elevation that we are going to be at before hand. Which is another one of the reasons we are over on the coast so much ???? We live at 4000′, which keeps her acclimated and good to 7000′ but anything above that is not safe for her, so I end up racing over the continental divide and really monitoring her oxygen level until we’re back below 7000′.

Reed

Reed, I've been reading up about altitude sickness. It is absolutely nothing to trivialize. Betty Jo and I were taken up to Trapper Lake in White River National Forrest by my nephew who at the time was the parks only LEO. From the parking lot you have to walk up a moderate slope to get to the lake. We were pretty much out of breath. I thought I was out of shape but then my nephew explained that we were above 10k ft. Sorry to hear Karen suffers from the effects so severely. Have you ever tried to stay for a few days at say 6k ft to allow further acclimatization? Taking that kind of steps about like deep divers avoiding the bends.

• Thanks 1

Ray and Betty Jo Bayless

Pictures Attempt here:

First, nice truck MrBig1. I’m not sure that I really understand this issue regarding gas engines at altitude. OK, my 2017 has twin turbos which certainly force more air into the six cylinder engine, but, I have never had a single problem or noticed any difference in engine performance with either this engine or the same engine in my “old” 2011 truck. Therefore, can I assume that everyone is talking about n0n-turbo engines? If that is the case I still find it hard to believe that current engine management systems do not have the ability to adjust for the thinner air. Certainly today’s diesels are very nice (particularly as compared to just a few years ago), but, they are still very expensive in the short run.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I like the truck a lot. To address the effects of altitude on engine performance you are correct this is a non-turbo or otherwise called naturally aspirated. The problem is that at higher altitudes they simply don't get enough oxygen to support proper combustion. Poor combustion equals loss of horsepower. A gasoline fueled engine with a turbocharger or a blower would not suffer any ill effects. All the great WWII aircraft engines were gas powered and unnaturally aspirated. Just the way I understand and rationalize my decision making process.

Ray and Betty Jo Bayless

Karen starts getting low oxygen alerts every time we are above 7000′ and gets serious high altitude sickness every time, to the point that I need to know what elevation that we are going to be at before hand. Which is another one of the reasons we are over on the coast so much
????
We live at 4000′, which keeps her acclimated and good to 7000′ but anything above that is not safe for her, so I end up racing over the continental divide and really monitoring her oxygen level until we’re back below 7000′. Reed

Reed, I’ve been reading up about altitude sickness. It is absolutely nothing to trivialize... Have you ever tried to stay for a few days at say 6k ft to allow further acclimatization?

That's what we do, stay a few days at 6000' or there abouts, so we plan ahead and figure a week to get up to 8000' or longer for higher altitudes. She never knew that she had it before we met, and I caught it right away as an ex-fireman, and it's been easy to monitor ever since.

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Karen starts getting low oxygen alerts every time we are above 7000′ and gets serious high altitude sickness every time, to the point that I need to know what elevation that we are going to be at before hand. Which is another one of the reasons we are over on the coast so much
????
We live at 4000′, which keeps her acclimated and good to 7000′ but anything above that is not safe for her, so I end up racing over the continental divide and really monitoring her oxygen level until we’re back below 7000′. Reed

Reed, I’ve been reading up about altitude sickness. It is absolutely nothing to trivialize… Have you ever tried to stay for a few days at say 6k ft to allow further acclimatization?

That’s what we do, stay a few days at 6000′ or there abouts, so we plan ahead and figure a week to get up to 8000′ or longer for higher altitudes. She never knew that she had it before we met, and I caught it right away as an ex-fireman, and it’s been easy to monitor ever since.

Good that you knew what to do. As and ex-electrican I would have been clueless.

• Thanks 1

Ray and Betty Jo Bayless

Pictures Attempt here:

If you want to put a bigger picture in with the text, click the place you want it to go, then drop down and select "Insert into content". Like this:

20171108_091247-1.thumb.jpg.8064b2b74bcb374541ca66e7a04b2149.jpg

It isn't necessary but sometimes you want the pics to flow in a certain order with comments, like for a travel report.

Nice truck!

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Hey MrBig1, You know how time flies? Well it ain’t going to from now until April….we’re picking up December 5th, can’t wait!!!

Wow, I can't wait. But,I gotta. The time gives me more time to understand my TV. Get it all broken in. I just cleaned it again today. There will come a time when I won't be concerned about water spots though. I went by Northern Tool and checked out a combination tool box and 65gal fuel tank that includes a 12vdc pump. My son has big toy hauler fifth wheel. He drags it around with a Ford F-350 dually. Just in case he goes to some remote location he has added an auxiliary fuel tank that takes him up to 100gal. I honestly don't know whether I should make that kind of contingency plan or not. lol The anticipation is a lot of the fun right now

Thanks John for the picture sequencing tip. I'll give it a try later.

Ray and Betty Jo Bayless

When looking at those large tanks, be sure you will travel enough to use the fuel in them. With the new biodiesel mixture, in most places 20%, Ford recommends not having it in the tank for more than 30 days. I keep about a 200 mile range in mine, unless I'm going on a long trip, then fill it. Depending where you are, look for straight up #2 diesel fuel, if you can find it.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

When looking at those large tanks, be sure you will travel enough to use the fuel in them. With the new biodiesel mixture, in most places 20%, Ford recommends not having it in the tank for more than 30 days. I keep about a 200 mile range in mine, unless I’m going on a long trip, then fill it. Depending where you are, look for straight up #2 diesel fuel, if you can find it.

There are a number of different diesel treatments that will extend that 30 days into _many_ months. Biobor was the original, designed for jet fuel in the 70s, if I remember correctly. It was a really big deal for the general aviation community when it finally migrated from military use to the civilian market. The problem is biologic growth (algae and fungus) that occurs in the water/ fuel boundary. The beasties live and breed in the water, and eat the fuel.

With a good maintenance routine that includes high quality filter at the outlet, constant chemical treatment (I STRONGLY recommend Archoil AR-6200) and especially draining condensation often, long term storage is not a problem.

If you are lazy and cheap, you have a real risk of introducing badly contaminated fuel into your very expensive high pressure fuel system.

If I wanted more range I would just add a bigger Titan tank in place of the OEM one, and rely on the OEM filtration, or a good aftermarket twin filter setup, and skip the big Exxon Valdez in-bed tank. Those take up way too much room, I would rather have that volume devoted to a fresh water tank for boon-docking.

Titan offers a 30 gallon aux tank that goes under the bed in place of the spare tire. I would rather carry my spare in the bed, and have all the heavy MESSY fuel under the truck.... with a small aux tank you can burn up all the fuel routinely and not worry about  a large amount of aging diesel sitting up high in the bed.

http://titanfueltanks.com/titan-spare-tire-auxiliary-fuel-system-for-gm-2011-2017-4010211

The guys that buy and really need those huge in-bed tanks are the ones who rack up 60,000 miles per year hauling trailers across country. They don’t make a whole lot of sense for the casual retired RVer. My Ram 5.9 Cummins had a 36 gallon factory tank and I never came close to running out. These diesels have pretty long “legs”.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.