Equalize?

topgun2

• Moderators

We have agm batteries. I believe that the general consensus is to not equalize with agm batteries.

When we had flooded batteries,and solar, years ago, we didn't equalize then, either.

At least, not that I recall . comments?

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

Sherry -  yes, you are correct - do not equalize AGM's

Bradbev - Even though I have the older solar controller, it too has the automatic equalize function.  However, I've been told that the 320 watts of solar simply do not have enough "juice" to perform the equalize function and when trying to use mine the voltage never gets above just over 14 volts.  Thus the original question.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderator+

The blue sky system can be set up to equalize your T105 batteries. There is a dip switch that needs to be turned on and settings in the IPN controller that have to be activated.

Bill, you might want to turn your voltage up in the controller.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Steve - I did the dip switch and the settings in the IPN controller.  However, I've not taken a look at the voltage settings - I assume that they are in the IPN?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Bill, you are correct. The programming is done thru the IPN Pro Remote. I just set up my new Blue Sky system using values that I found in the forums. These values came from Trojan for the flooded cell T-105’s and are input into the IPN in levels 2 & 3. I think there about 5 or 6 values in each level. I don’t have my notes in front of me but, the IPN programmer is straight forward and not too difficult to work thru. It should only take just a few minutes to input all the values.

• Thanks 1

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

• Moderators

Given that Twist is currently in storage with the solar panels disconnected from the batteries, I've not re-visited this subject.  However, in another 6 or 7 weeks I will uncover the panels and switch everything back on so that I can have them top off the batteries.  Generally I leave Twist uncovered for 2 or 3 days during this period.  That will give me a good chance to get back to this.  Thanks for looking it up!

Bill

I have a combo of two AGMs and two T105s.  After almost 18 months the Specific gravity in the Trojans was in the “fair” region so I decided to equalize the Trojans.  I disconnected the AGMs from my inverter charger and selected the “equalize”option.  I was plugged into shore power at the time.  The voltage meter immediately jumped to 15.1 and I could hear the batteries bubbling.  After four hours the charger went back to float.  A re checked the specific gravity and all cells are now in the green zone so it looks like the equalizer did its job.

When I owned 64 Blue Sky told me 320watts of solar would not equalize batteries.  You may need to remove the batteries and take them to a facility with a high voltage charger.

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel