Kidde recalls all fire extinguishers with plastic handles!!!

John E Davies

November 2, 2017

Remedy:

Consumers should immediately contact Kidde to request a free replacement fire extinguisher and for instructions on returning the recalled unit, as it may not work properly in a fire emergency.

Note: This recall includes fire extinguisher models that were previously recalled in March 2009 and February 2015. Kidde branded fire extinguishers included in these previously announced recalls should also be replaced. All affected model numbers are listed in the charts above.

Recall information for fire extinguishers used in RVs and motor vehicles can be found on NHTSA’s website.

Incidents/Injuries: The firm is aware of a 2014 death involving a car fire following a crash. Emergency responders could not get the recalled Kidde fire extinguishers to work. There have been approximately 391 reports of failed or limited activation or nozzle detachment, including the fatality, approximately 16 injuries, including smoke inhalation and minor burns, and approximately 91 reports of property damage.

Sold At: Menards, Montgomery Ward, Sears, The Home Depot, Walmart and other department, home and hardware stores nationwide, and online at Amazon.com, ShopKidde.com and other online retailers for between $12 and $50 and for about $200 for model XL 5MR. These fire extinguishers were also sold with commercial trucks, recreational vehicles, personal watercraft and boats.

Full list of affected units and contact info here:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and

Kidde's recall page:

https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/Kidde284US/

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John:

Thanks for the information; the fire extinguisher that is installed in our trailer falls under the recall.  I have requested a replacement unit and they said it would be between 15 -20 business days to arrive.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

John: Thanks for the information; the fire extinguisher that is installed in our trailer falls under the recall. I have requested a replacement unit and they said it would be between 15 -20 business days to arrive.

Did they say if they will send a shipping label and ask you to return the old one? How does that work exactly?

I have a bunch of extinguishers in cars, house and shop. Two are affected. My big main units are higher quality brands (rechargeable with steel valve and handle. The cheapies are sort of left-overs that I scatter around where I think an extra one might come in handy... The one in my Ollie is a First Alert and not affected.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John:

From the confirmation that I received after requesting a replacement their reply was:  "Upon receipt of your new fire extinguisher you will find instructions on what to do with your affected fire extinguisher".

All of our other fire extinguisher are a much higher quality.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

• 3 weeks later...

We received a replacement fire extinguisher from Kidde on Saturday, December 2, 2017 via FedEx.  The new extinguisher is a little shorter than the original unit and a little larger in diameter.  They also included a new mounting bracket.  Kidde sent a prepaid shipping label for the return of the recalled unit via FedEx.

I replaced the extinguisher today including the new mounting bracket.  There was no issue with the height but very close on the width due to the new replacement unit having a side handle for discharge.

I checked several large box stores and they carry the replacement fire extinguisher that Kidde is sending out to replace the recalled units.  What fire extinguisher is Oliver installing in its trailer today?  In the future Oliver should make the mounting cavity in the closet door just a little wider and may be a little taller due to changes that are made with the fire extinguisher manufacturing.

I have included  pictures of the new fire extinguisher and one with it mounted in the Oliver.  The replacement extinguisher is an improved unit over the recalled unit.

Kidde-Replacement-Fire-Extinguisher-12-02-2017-001.thumb.jpg.62df5db91dbce6ef54bf1649d7b307f9.jpg

Kidde-Replacement-Fire-Extinguisher-12-02-2017-002.thumb.jpg.b91bbe0808fcf8c7c39476cdf2bdb7a6.jpg

Kidde-Replacement-Fire-Extinguisher-12-02-2017-003.thumb.jpg.b6e7a8690a7f1296682412a08ca97d58.jpg

• Thanks 2

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia