Want to Move the Progressive Dynamics Surge Protector Remote Meter

bradbev

I've got the extended twin beds and the remote meter is mounted down in an area where I'd have to really dig and move stuff around to get to it.  I'm looking for suggestions for a better location.   If it was an attractive meter, I'd mount it up around the current solar meter, but being surface mount with the wires coming out the bottom rather than the back, I'm afraid it needs to be out of sight but easily accessed.  What do you suggest?

Brad - Santa Fe

• Moderators

Brad - I moved mine into the pantry.  I put it as high as possible and in the center.  Easy to get to and easy to see but the flashing  of the screen is blocked by the pantry door when I don't need it.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

This is on my Honey Do list. Mine is currently under the street-side twin bed.

I will move it outside the compartment about 18 inches off the floor. I will put it close to and inline with the mattress so the lights do not bother either rear sleeper. Fortunately there is lots of slack in the cable.

That Oliver choses to install a REMOTE display inside a hidden compartment is mind boggling. You need to be able to see it from near the front door at a glance, without disturbing the bedding or removing stored items. You need to be able to switch it off easily. I actually would much prefer it to be mounted under the entry door light switch panel, but I don’t want to string a new cable under the floor.

Has anyone asked why they chose the rear buried location?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Has anyone thought about putting it outside, in the storage compartment, so you can see and operate it with the hatch door open? I don't have that option, I have an external but from what I can see, it looks like it will fit above the outside shower and that would put it in a great spot that's easy to check every time you hook up.

Like next to where I have my level in the pic.

Screenshot_2017-11-15-07-45-34.thumb.png.27dc8469de84776796bdffbecba350f1.png

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

I actually would much prefer it to be mounted under the entry door light switch panel, but I don’t want to string a new cable under the floor. John Davies Spokane WA

It's pretty easy to run a cable and wiring up the rear corner and into the upper cabinets. Probably an easy spot next to the pantry as well where the solar runs up, but I haven't needed to work in there yet... There's good access and the wire would easily fit into the tray that runs under the cabinet floor all along the wall to the entry door panel. If you don't have a fish tape, there's still plenty of room to push a wire down from the top into the bottom access to grab with... The Oliver is actually well built to work on.

Reed

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

This is on my Honey Do list. Mine is currently under the street-side twin bed. I will move it outside the compartment about 18 inches off the floor. I will put it close to and inline with the mattress so the lights do not bother either rear sleeper. Fortunately there is lots of slack in the cable. That Oliver choses to install a REMOTE display inside a hidden compartment is mind boggling. You need to be able to see it from near the front door at a glance, without disturbing the bedding or removing stored items. You need to be able to switch it off easily. I actually would much prefer it to be mounted under the entry door light switch panel, but I don’t want to string a new cable under the floor. Has anyone asked why they chose the rear buried location? John Davies Spokane WA

I asked them to move it and it was a no-go because of previous complaints on the flashing lights and aesthetic. I’ll tackle the move as well…looking to see all your ideas…keep ’em coming. Snaking wires to where I want it would be a challegne; next to the master light panel by the door.

The only place that you need to pull wire is going from the bottom half of the hull up into the top half, there's lots of room to work with, it's really not a big deal. I was thinking that it would be tough, so I packed my wiring as tight as possible and put a piece of paracord up thru for another pull or to reverse it if it got stuck and it slipped right through, so I was able to leave the paracord in place for another mod that I've been thinking about. Then there's a wiring tray up top under the v-mat that runs around the entire trailer inside the cabinets. You won't find a better design anywhere for the wiring, it's nice :)

Happy Camping,

null

• Moderators

I choose the pantry because I was not sure about the weather resistant properties of the display unit, it was easy to run the wires into the pantry, and with the pantry door closed one never sees the lights of the readout.  Yet, the readout is easily seen by simply opening the pantry door.  Given I mounted it as high as I could above the top shelf, there is no interference with any of the items stored there including cereal boxes.  I think that mounting it anywhere on the interior of the camper where one is not able to close it behind a door or panel of some sort will make living/sleeping something akin to being in a cheap hotel with a neon sign right outside your room.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I moved the remote display to a spot under the dinette between the LP detector  and the USB/12 Volt outlets. It faces away from the bed, so it is not noticeable. It was any easy move to do and beats having to dig down under the dinette seat every time we hook up. I removed the forbidden screws to that compartment right after we picked our Ollie up, but this location is much more convenient.  I too am not sure about the weather resistant properties of this LED type display.

• Thanks 1
Legacy Elite I

ALCTDEFLGAKYMEMDMANHNJNYNCPARISCTNVTVAWV