No internet or house phone...

Mainiac

We are going into our 4th week of no house phone or internet. We did get back our electric about a week ago. The windstorm that came ashore sure uprooted a lot of trees and infrastructure. Sure glad for cell phones, but think we will have to bump up the data plan. Amazing the contacts we had with the house system. Looking at VOIP system, but not sure after some comments on here about them. But, we are alive and well...

• Thanks 4

I had VoIP but thru DSL so we needed the phone line anyway, but it was free and it worked fine as long as I had a good connection and wasn't downloading anything... If the connection was clear... sometimes the call would be clear, but usually there was a "can you hear me now?" moment in every call, but this is out in the woods anyway. In the end I got rid of it just because I didn't need a second phone line.

Reed

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Definitely Maine. Portions of the mid coast were decimated. A period of drought, followed by two storms, dropping a total of over 10" of rain, set up a scenario where 74 mph wind gusts were catastrophic. Nice thing is we had the Oliver to fall back on if life got hectic. As a matter of fact the propane fridge was a huge help.

We have a local cable internet system at home.

Use Ooma System with cable internet for lower 48 free calling for about $5.00 per month. Had to make a one time purchase of hardware at Best Buy for around $125 for one telephone. Purchased a wireless remote from Ooma for around $50 and plugged it into a home telephone jack to make every telephone work in the house. System has been working fine since purchase for 2 or 3 years. Can also check home telephone voice messages using internet while camping.

• Thanks 1

Bill #75 LE2

We've used the Honda 2000i generator for years in the winter, when the power is out here in California. PG&E, Pacific gas and electric has excuses all day long for not getting power back on here. When we go down hard in a big storm, it's usually 3 weeks to a month before they can get out to find the problem, so being able to run the house without power is unfortunately... normal for us. They don't have any problem raising our rates, so I switched over to propane years ago now and just use electricity for the lights, TV and fridge. So I can run all of those with the 2000i easily when our power goes out.

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II