Sleep Apnea and CPAP/BiPAP use in an Oliver

Angus

Are there any Oliver owners out there with Sleep Apnea?

I use a BiPAP machine on a nightly basis to address issues associated with Sleep Apnea. It looks like the electrical, solar, and battery systems will all allow me to plug-in and use my BiPAP in the Oliver. However, based on the online pictures of the interior, it also looks like we might be leaning toward the twin-bed configuration with nightstand out of necessity for placement of the BiPAP each night.

We envision the BiPAP machine sitting on the nightstand while not underway, but I am wondering about plug placement and access ports in this area of the Oliver. Are there any openings on the nightstand that would allow the BiPAP to sit on top and run the electrical connections through an opening into the nightstand?

Trying to plan for a good configuration or option for plugging-in the BiPAP... placement... storage... etc.

Any comments or observations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

• Thanks 2

• Moderator+

PM sent....

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Angus

I keep my Cpap in the overhead storage cabinet.  Inside the cabinet, I have both a 110 outlet when we have shore power and a 12 volt (cigarette adapter)  when boon docking off the grid. I had a hole cut in the bottom of the cabinet to run the hose through. Oliver can customize the power outlets and hole  for you. All that is exposed is the hose, so easy storage and no clutter on the cabinet top.  You can buy a 110/12v converter made specifically for your machine.  mine cost about $80.00.  Recommend you get one from your manufacturer made for your model.  Sleep well !!

Hardrock

• Thanks 3

We have the King bed and Karen's CPAP sits in her back corner on top of a small set of drawers. We had outlet sets put in on both sides by the rear speakers in the back corners a/c - d/c - USB along with reading lights but... We have found that the Zamp Solar doesn't have enough power to recharge the batteries each day, so we end up using the generator every 3 days at least to keep enough charge in them to run the CPAP. You should check the low voltage cut out on your bi-pap and see where it's cut off is because we have found that low cut off, along with power consumption, varies greatly between different brands. Then if you camp where you get more clouds then full sun, plan accordingly and get an aftermarket 500watt MPPT Solar System installed elsewhere or just take a generator. We run an induction cook top now also since the solar can't do its job anyway and just run the generator every day or 2 to charge up. Most of the time we are on the coast or in the mountains under the clouds and these days we don't plan on ever counting on the solar to help much with boondocking. The gas for the generator is cheap and it is a needed accessory unless you are somewhere in the south, stuck in the desert where the solar has a chance.

Reed

• Thanks 3

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Beverly and I sleep in our twin bed version of the E2 with our heads toward the kitchen.  I sleep on the street side, and place my CPAP on the shelf under the pantry.   When on shore power, there’s an AC outlet right under my bed, and when on battery, I use a small 300 watt plug in inverter plugged into a 12 volt outlet under the dinette.

The 2000 watt sine wave inverter is great, but it’s not made for small loads.  (I use my CPAP without the water vapor generator.)  On small loads, the big sine wave inverters probably (and I say this without facts at my finger tips)  draw I’m guessing about 3 amps for internal loss, and another 3 amps to run the CPAP without water evaporator.  So, about twice what the CPAP would draw on a small inverter.  So, our 2000 watt unit is mainly used for microwave or other high current demands.

• Thanks 2

Oliver has dealt with CPAP many times.  They can add 12v and 120v outlets in the overheads with a hole to run the hose through the bottom of the cabinet. You will need to determine where your head will be.  We always slept with our pillows to the forward end.

when boondocking it is more efficient to run your machine on 12v because the inverter will consume a lot of battery just running itself.  If your CPAP does not have 12v buy a 150 watt plug in inverter from CPAP.com.  It will come with a cigarette lighter plug.  Way more efficient than the inverter.

I have several of these small inverters  for use in my Airstream.  CPAP, fans, TV, all run fine without cranking up my 3000 watt Magnum.

• Thanks 3

Current 2007 Airstream Classic Limited 31

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Sold)

2016 Ram 2500 HD 6.7i Cummins turbo diesel