Greetings from Long Island, NY

scouter

Hi everyone. I discovered the Oliver a few months ago. I have been camping since the late 50's - back when canvas was CANVAS! Now considering moving from an 1984 Coleman Sequoia pop-up to a TT. Never camped in a TT. This Oliver is a thing of beauty! We are slightly limited in our mobility and wondering if camping in this magnificent trailer is do-able. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

“Just go...out there” - Captain James T. Kirk

Greetings... have you visited an Oliver? Call the factory and set up a visit near you. That is the only way that you can see if it will accommodate your limited mobility. I personally would think it is a lot easier to set up, than hauling beds with real canvas into setup. They are easy to tow, and with a wireless camera, easy to back into a site. Also they are warmer. My guess is you wouldn't miss the "fluttering" canvas in a windy rain, and you won't have to set up at home later to dry out. The leveling jacks are all push button. The hardest part of owning an Oliver is deciding where to go next. Good Luck...

Hello and Welcome :)

We have limited mobility also and the best additions are a grab bar outside the closet because you can reach it in the bathroom and when coming in from outside. Then the screen door bar and then the curtain rod over the door in the bathroom because it's strong enough to use for pulling yourself up. Then we have also added quick disconnects to all of the water inlets and I use a chair most of the time when setting up. With these additions, mobility is doable.

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Welcome, I think the only big factor for you would be hooking up the Anderson hitch. It involves some effort and bending. If you get the bigger trailer and pull it with an appropriate larger tow vehicle, you can get away with a standard dead weight hitch which greatly simplifies the process.The Anderson works well but it is a pain in the butt, in general.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We have decided (so far) that our choice would be an Elite II. Climbing up into a pickup does not seem viable moving forward. We would rather continue in our Grand Cherokee, either Overland or Summit model (more choices????). Thank you for replying.

Reed, your mobility is similar to ours. Your videos are an excellent intro to the Oliver. Very helpful. My main concern would be the winterizing procedure, specifically gaining access to all the valves and whatnot. What disconnects do you use for your intakes? Thank you.

Hi Canoe12. Yes, agree about visiting a working model. When driving back from WDW, we were going to visit the “Mothership” (love that) but discovered that it’s closed Christmas week. We’ll figure something out. Thank you.

Loved our Jeep Grand Cherokee with it's 5.7 Hemi. We hauled a Scamp up and down the Eastern half of the USA with it. We only traded because we wore out the navigation system. I am just not sure about hauling the bigger unit. Make sure your model has plenty of towing weight capacity and an electric brake controller.  The Oliver is 7' wide and your regular rearview mirror will all of a sudden be full of a white trailer (I am sure you have noticed they are taller than a popup). Are your side mirrors big enough to see what you need to see? And, in your case, will it fit on the ferry? Or the stop and go of the GW? Do you only plan on traveling the NJ Trp. or 95? You are in the right place to ask questions, just weigh some of the comments with your own observations. Of the slight negatives you might hear on here, there are probably 20 silent positives. Again Good Luck and think, only 3 months until Spring...

• Moderators

Scouter -

With regards to your Christmas week problem and stopping by the Mothership - I'd call Anita in the Sales office and ask her if someone could meet you there for a short look at an Elite II.  They are very accommodating people and if they can arrange it I'm sure they will.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Canoe12

We love camping in the Adirondacks mostly. A 6 hour trip for us. After retirement this June, we plan to travel and see this wonderful country of ours. I see the Jeep’s max towing is 6200 lbs with a max payload of 1280. Not fully sure what this all means in regards to the Oliver, so we’ll keep investigating and following the forum.

Bruce

• Moderators

Bruce -

An Elite II is basically 5,000 pounds empty with a 500 pound tongue weight.  What this means for you is that you would be able to put approximately 1,200 pounds of "stuff" in your Oliver and you would be right at the maximum towing capacity of your jeep (note that the Elite II can carry up to approximately 2,000 pounds of "Stuff").  The 1280 payload is a bit tougher to figure - you have to add up all the "stuff" "weighing" on or in your vehicle.  So, the tongue weight mentioned above (500) plus what the driver weighs (say 200) plus what the passenger weighs (say 130) give you a total of 830 pounds out of the 1280 allowed.  Now you have to add all of the other "stuff" that you might have in that vehicle - lawn chairs, chocks for the camper, blankets, emergency roadside kit, etc.

Bottom line is that it appears you can tow the Elite II with your Jeep, but, you do not have very much room to spare.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I have towed our II with a Ram 3500 diesel and now a Land Cruiser 200. The 200 has similar power to a 5.7 Hemi (381 bhp/ 400 ft lbs,/ 6 speed) BUT it is body on frame, very stout and it is rated at 8500 pounds. There is no way that I could recommend any Grand Cherokee if you plan to visit the rest of the countey, the Rockies especially. It just doesn’t have enough reserve capacity to be safe and secure in 100 degree weather, a 30 mph headwind, climbing 12% at 10,000 feet. You need reserves for the ugly situations that you will inevitable encounter.

You can plan to travel dry (empty tanks) but that puts some serious limitations on where you can camp. Keeping the fresh tank full stabilzes the trailer (since it is positioned so low) but it adds about 250 pounds that must be counted as payload. The other tanks can and should be empty when towing, but sometimes even that is not possible...

Tongue weight on my Mouse with a loaded generator tray is 700 pounds. You can travel lighter, but a generator has to go somewhere. Putting one in the back of the TV would load it down as much as having it on the tongue.

While you may really want a GC there are a ton of reasons why it is a poor choice. You need to be considering a pickup sized vehicle. A large properly equipped SUV like a Sequoia, Suburban or Expedition would work very well, or even a full sized van, which could be fitted with wheelchair lift if that is ever needed.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Bruce,

I use a Dodge Durango to pull my Oliver, mainly since my wife didn't want a pickup. It has 5he 5.7 V8 Hemi and I am very happy with it. The downside is, it doesn't have the ground clearance that a PU has, but it has not been a problem so far. With the lower profile, it's a little easier to get in and out. We looked at the Jeep, but for whatever reason they are more expensive.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Hi Stan. My wife feels the same way towards a pickup. I see the Citadel Durango can pull up to 7100 lbs. using the V-8. I’ll start researching. Thanks for the tip. Bruce

That should work great, if properly equipped. It has a 5 inch longer wheelbase than the Grand Cherokee, which will help with towing stability and also adds more cargo volume.

http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/durango-towing/31825-lets-see-those-durango-towing-pics.html

Does the Citadel offer air suspension?

Have you looked at the GM SUVs?

John Davies

Spokane WA

I test-drove a Yukon the other day, and a new 2018 Expedition last week.  My pick right now would be the Expedition, hands down.  But they are all spendy...  I have a Grand Cherokee ecodiesel right now.  It'll have to do for a few years.

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

Rumline, $$$$$ indeed. It's only the bride and I who would be towing so it's a bummer to have to drive a monster but I guess that's the name of the game. Can't drive something too high since the joints on both of us would be in revolt. Thanks for your opinion.