Wireless Brake Controller

BlaiddDrwg

In preparation for hooking up to a new Oliver, I've been looking into brake controllers for my Sequoia.  In the past I've used a Tekonsha P2 mounted under the dash of my previous TV.  Although this is still an option for the Sequoia, I've been looking into alternatives.  Tekonsha has a Radio Frequency controller (model 90250)  that would eliminate the need for hard mounting anything in the TV.  Instead a local monitor is plugged into the power port of the TV and communicates to the controller mounted on the trailer tongue.   Does anyone have any experience with this controller or similar products from other manufacturers?

The Wanderer setup

TV: 2018 Toyota Sequoia

Trailer Options: Trojan AGM Batteries, 320w Solar package, 30 Amp Convenience pkg, 2000w Inverter, Omni-directional Antenna, Dakota Fiber-Granite, Opaque cabinet doors, Flagstone flooring, KTT mattresses, Inside Basement Access, Black Marble cushions, Anderson hitch, 30# propane tanks, Front and Rear Propane Quick Connects, Truma  Tankless Water Heater, Micro Air, Storage Basket, Bike Rack, Additional Awning, Custom Graphics for the trailer name

• Moderators

Basic answer to your question is - no - I do not have experience with these wireless versions.  However, with something as important as braking, I sure would want some heavy assurances that they work in all circumstances.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

If you have multiple tow vehicles, then this RF controller might be a wonderful tool, but I too have reservations about using wireless control of brakes. Wireless (Bluetooth especially) has improved greatly over the last few years BUT the devices may be susceptible to connectivity issues, and outright failures due to voltage spikes. The trailer brake system is just too important to make compromises in terms of reliability.

If you have several TVs, go for it, if not wire in a new Prodigy P3. There is a Tekonsha Toyota plug and play adapter harness for about $20, if your Sequoia is fairly recent. I'm not sure where the factory connector is in your truck, on the Land Cruiser 200 and Tundra it is located under the dash, far left side. It can be a little hard to spot.... The hardest part is locating a place to mount it that won't be in the way. Toyota forums might give you some ideas about that.

BTW, you will love the way your Ollie pulls behind the truck, IF it has the 5.7 drivetrain.... It's a beast. My Land Cruiser does great. If you have an older 4.7 truck, then it is going to be very inadequate.

You will definitely need the Anderson hitch, unless you want to beef up the rear suspension and shocks.

You might want to change the tires for beefier 10 ply All Terrains. That will provide noticeably more stability when towing on twisty roads and when maneuvering. The OEM tires on these Toyota SUVs are too squishy, and are very vulnerable to sidewall damage off pavement.

Have you selected your graphics? If your Sequoia is white, consider no graphics at all:

IMG_3459.thumb.jpg.b5f86a0c5350caab6211dc299f696706.jpg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I purchased the Tekonsha 90250 wireless brake controller, and I am very happy with it. I did not want the brake controller permanently mounted in my vehicle, and this seemed like a good option. It had excellent reviews, and I am completely satisfied. Full disclosure: this is my first trailer, and I have no previous experience with brake controllers.

Two comments about the Tekonsha 90250 and my Oliver.

I contacted Oliver about this wireless brake controller and told them that it would need to be installed on the trailer tongue. Since I was purchasing it from Amazon, I asked them whether I should have it shipped to Hohenwald. The sales office representative I dealt with (who made many errors in dealing with my order) said “No, you just bring it. If you ship it here we would probably just lose it.” When I was picking up my trailer, I gave the Tekonsha 90250 to Tommy Staggs, and told him how I was told not to ship it in advance. While I don’t think Tommy used any expletives, he was clearly not pleased with that recommendation. It took some time for the Tekonsha 90250 to be installed on the trailer on a busy delivery day, and I think the installation would have been much easier earlier in the build process.

Be aware, we had some problems with the wireless pairing of the Remote Unit in the vehicle to the Trailer Mounted Module. Tommy Staggs had done this previously, so he was surprised that it did not work. Phone calls to the manufacturer revealed a solution. My tow vehicle is an Audi Q7 SUV, and this initial wireless pairing did not work. The manufacturer said to hook the trailer up to a different vehicle (Tommy’s pickup) and perform the wireless pairing. That worked, and when we transferred the Tekonsha to my Audi it connected just fine. I remove the Tekonsha from my tow vehicle every time I store the trailer, and it connects correctly on every use.

In retrospect, I think the wireless pairing problem was due to the vehicle reporting a Trailer Lights Disconnected error message. The Trailer Mounted Module of the Tekonsha 90250 connects via the seven pin connector, and the error message is due to the LED lights on the trailer not pulling enough current. I posted about this here.

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

Thanks for the responses so far.  My Sequoia is an '18, Blue, with the 5.7 V8.  It is wired for a brake controller with the wiring located behind the left front panel near the parking brake.   As I understand it, the brake controller continues to function even if it is not connected to the display in the TV.  If not connected you lose the manual override function.  One of the things that concerns me regarding this controller is shown in the installation instructions.  It reads:

Do not mount or activate RF generating items (cellphones, two way radios) near (less than 12”) to theHand Held Unit or Power Module.

Who doesn't have a cellphone laying on their console or in their pocket at sometime during TV/TT hookup.

David S.  Did the Power Module have to be mounted by drilling through the nose cone?

Capture.jpg.5136e38b081008a67e8f3b51b684e6d8.jpg

• Thanks 1

The Wanderer setup

TV: 2018 Toyota Sequoia

Trailer Options: Trojan AGM Batteries, 320w Solar package, 30 Amp Convenience pkg, 2000w Inverter, Omni-directional Antenna, Dakota Fiber-Granite, Opaque cabinet doors, Flagstone flooring, KTT mattresses, Inside Basement Access, Black Marble cushions, Anderson hitch, 30# propane tanks, Front and Rear Propane Quick Connects, Truma  Tankless Water Heater, Micro Air, Storage Basket, Bike Rack, Additional Awning, Custom Graphics for the trailer name

Did the Power Module have to be mounted by drilling through the nose cone?

The Power Module is attached to the aluminum frame, below the fiberglass housing for the propane tanks (the nose cone?)

• Thanks 1

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

I've used this RF (wireless) brake controller since picking up my Elite II in March 2016.  My experience was a little different from David's.  Oliver actually purchased the controller and installed it before I arrived to pick up my Ollie.  I tow with VW Touareg TDI and the pairing process wasn't difficult.  I've towed many miles using this brake controller and I'm completely satisfied.  While I've had some issues with the hand-control unit that you plug into the 12 volt receptacle (I think that's what we used to call the cigarette lighter receptacle), Tekonsha's customer service has been outstanding.  They've replaced that hand-held unit quickly and without fuss at no charge twice.  Note that the brake control works even if the hand-held unit isn't plugged in or isn't working.  The hand-held unit is necessary, however, to adjust the braking level and you can also use it to apply the trailer brakes independently of the TV brakes to tame sway.  I've never had to use mine for that purpose.

Don

• Thanks 2

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

• 2 months later...

"BTW, you will love the way your Ollie pulls behind the truck, IF it has the 5.7 drive train…. It’s a beast. My Land Cruiser does great. If you have an older 4.7 truck, then it is going to be very inadequate."

John D:

For her maiden voyage, I'll be heading from Ollie pick up in TN to OR, to ID, To UT, To TX, To NC, to VA, and back to Dallas.  About 8,000 miles starting in late May.  I'll let you know how inadequate the 4.7L Sequoia turns out.  I'll also go with 60 PSI on the tires as suggested.  Future upgrade: Tire monitoring system.

If your observations are spot on, I'll be looking for a Land Cruiser 5.7!

Thank you for all the thoughts and advice you have provided to the Forum, and wishing you many more years to continue doing so.

Geronimo John

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg