Ford F-150 TV

hellsbay988

• Moderators

Yes, I have a 2017 "Ecoboost" 3.5.  I also had a 2011 Ecoboost 3.5.  The new one is better and the 10 speed new transmission is smooth.  Mine is the "FX4" - 4 wheel drive, off road version, 6 foot bed, and, is the super cab (1/2 door in the back).  I got the off road version primarily due to the inclusion of slightly stiffer ride, larger gas tank and tow brake controller in the package and this cost was cheaper than buying and two of those separately.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I replaced 2011 f150 5.0 4/4   in may with f150 3.5 ego turbo 4/4   I pulled ollie with both 5.0 and 3.5 turbo     the 3.5 has more torque for pulling hills in pa  big plus is gas milage    24 and 18-20  pulling ollie    note: my wife says I run under speed limit   10 speed transmission shifts smoother than 6 speed in 5.0. I did get max tow option and tow mirrors, also has hitch assist ,but have not programed . Truck  and trailer have to be level and a triangle measurement from hitch to bar code sticker you place on trailer , may get to it in spring.     I use truck for daily use , interior quieter than most cars   ...

• Thanks 1

I have an ‘18 Raptor with the high output turbo. With premium fuel, it’s like there’s no trailer attached under acceleration.

Engine aside, the trailer backup assist got us out of a few jams on our recent trip that without, well, I’d still be out there trying to get the trailer turned around.  Talking single track roads with a mountain on one side, a cliff on the other, and someone in the passenger seat asking if we’re about to die.  Get the trailer backup.

And the interior is road trip heaven.

• Thanks 3

• Moderators

So, how does that help you?

Does the trailer assist tie into your backup camera on the trailer?

I'm not in the passenger seat in those situations. I'm at the side of the road, giving hand signals, and watching the trailer tires, the side of the road, etc.

And, of course, hoping we won't lose the rig, or die....

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

It’s a little knob that you turn to tell the truck which way you want the trailer to go. Then the truck does the steering for you.  Let go of the knob and the truck straightens everything out like magic.  With a bit of practice it really is like steering the trailer rather than the truck.  It’s no substitute for a good spotter though

It also includes a lane change assist that adds the trailer length to the warning lights in the mirrors. A small thing but having never towed before, it was big in getting both of us comfortable driving on the highway.

• Thanks 1

So the Ford is designed for first time drivers :) Nice!

Then when they grow up they go buy Chevys :)

Hehe.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

These days the market is filled with really nice trucks.  I believe that in reality there is very little difference between the four major brands.  Yes, one brand touts that they are the best in class in this while another brand is the best in class in that.  Can most drivers really tell the difference in having an additional 200 pounds of towing capacity (and that assumes that all towing capacities are measured the exact same way.)?  Yes, there is a certain nice warm nostalgia in remembering taking a ride in those old trucks with Dad to the fishing hole.  But, today's trucks are safer, faster, more comfortable and reliable no matter the brand.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks for the replies.  I have driven Ford, Chevy and Ram.  The Ram Rebel was fun to drive and looked the coolest, Chevy has shift on the column and feels like an old mans truck.  The Ford impressed me with it’s six cyl turbo and smooth ten speed tranny.  It was also the most fun to drive.  I like all the little things that Ford thought about when designing this truck.  Things like easily adjustable headrests, a real shifter in the console with a manual shifter when you need it.  It was much more like the off road Tacoma that I will be giving up to my son.

I think the turbo will help while towing at altitude.  The trailer back up system is also a plus for me.  I am coming from owning three FJ Cruisers and a customized Tacoma Off Road truck so this will be a big change for me.

• Moderators

Yes, it will be a big change in that all of these trucks are (at least to me) much bigger than the Taco I drove.  I only have used the "tow/haul" mode on my F-150 once - just to try it out.  But, since the mountains of Colorado and Wyoming have virtually no effect on pulling the Oliver, I never even think about using that mode.  Yes, I know that the "tow/haul" mode uses more engine braking when going downhill and keeps the transmission in each gear longer when going uphill, but, it simply doesn't seem to matter that much with the weight of the Oliver.  In addition, I tend to use cruise control whenever possible.  Cruise control will automatically shift to lower gears when going downhill in order to use engine braking to help slow you down.

I did set up the trailer backup system but really do not care for it.  Guess that I "GREW UP" the old fashion way and habits die hard.  Perhaps if I was backing up a boat trailer or construction trailer where the truck's camera can actually see something towards the rear of the trailer I'd use it.

I found that the "manual shifter" in the console takes a bit of getting used to - no real problems but using my thumb to shift gears was a bit strange at first.  Speaking of which - one of the screens on the dash has a list that shows which of the ten gears you are presently driving in.  At times, when using the manual shifter, this list will disappear.  There is nothing in the owner's manual about this and/or exactly how to get the list to re-appear on the screen!  The fix is simple however - when in regular automatic transmission mode simply press the "+" button on the shifter.

Even though Ford has reportedly tested this turbo 6 with a bunch of mileage, there are reports that if you plan to drive it well over 100,000 miles, the engine just might need more service.  I believe that this is one of the reasons that "Bugeyedriver" chose the v8 in his new Ford.

Finally, yes, for a truck, it is fun to drive!  Just when you think you are having a blast in punching that thing, try the "Sport" mode on the trans.  Still not as much fun as the motorcycle but it will catch your attention.  Just can't imagine what that same thing in the Raptor feels like.

I too liked the exterior design of the Rams, but didn't like the interior.  I liked the reputation of the Tundra's and also their exterior, but didn't like the color choices and interior design.  I didn't even look at the GM's - a company that can't seem to fix the front lights for a period exceeding ten years is not high on my list to start with.  AND, I just guess that I'm not grown up enough yet to buy a Chevy.

Bill

• Thanks 1

I don’t own an Eco Boost but I do think the 3.5 is a great engine for towing, but it is not trouble free. Expect more problems than a normally aspirated V8 and don’t keep it past the warranty, or buy an extended one.

My Toyota 5.7 is a brute but it won’t haul ass while towing like the EB. And it has serious failures after 150 k miles if supercharged and run hard (rod bearing failure). So I will stick with weaker straight line acceleration.

If we could get the wonderful twin turbo Toyota diesel Land Cruiser here, that would be in my garage now....

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Same here in the Chevy, the tow haul mode is for 10K+ trailers and really adds nothing to the control of the Oliver. I do like the Chevy's on the column shift and it's easy to just drop it into manual and drop gears when going down steep inclines. I didn't like the shift on the dash that I saw... and the Jeep Grand Wagoneer's shifter looked like an accident waiting to happen. The Land Rover just didn't.... You know... The trailer back up system just made me laugh because Dad started me out driving the horse trailer when I could reach the pedals... and the Oliver with the back up camera is a dream come true as is :) Trying to back it up with an old 62 International these days isn't in my best interest but driving it as a child added a lot of muscle because it took everything I had just to get it around the corner... Lol. Not moving meant the steering wheel would not budge for any normal man... lol  :)

I love the squared wheel wells and the overall look of my Chevy, that's why I waited and bought this year's as it has the right looks for me. I still have my old 78 Step Side and it's a beast lifted with lockers, but these days a little more tame is easier on the back.... Then... we're in Arizona for the winter again and all of the pains that come around with the damp air up north are once again gone! I keep thinking that I'm going to hurt, but instead that smile comes in just like the sunrise :)

Reed

PS I was behind another Ford Taurus yesterday with the left brake light burned out... What is it about those Ford's with no brake lights??? Lol.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Ok, I get that some people like apples and some like oranges.  I liked all the trucks I tried.  I just liked one more than the others.  All the trucks I tried were more than adequate as a TV.  Since this will be my daily driver I want a truck that gets pretty good mileage, is good off road and fun to drive.

I am impressed with the creature comforts, technology and safety features on the Ford.  After test driving these full size trucks, driving my Taco is a lesson in humility.  Well, until it comes to off road, where the Taco will leave these comfortable behemoths in the dust.

Cruising down the highway in a QUIET cabin with a leather cooled seat that is adjustable 10 different ways will be a new and welcome experience.

15B135BD-399F-4FFF-86F6-373B89487B46.thumb.jpeg.5f6bebf34ae8bdc6a69f85d363f881e4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

OK I know I should stay out by my two Cents...... Correct buy what is right for you, I first towed the Oliver II with a Ford F150 and I as well loved my Ford ride comfort were great. Then the BUT under powered 5.0 not good in the mountains, short bed under 5.5 bed not good for carrying things like a Clam. Now a friend had a Toyota he also loved his truck but had a 25 gal fuel tank i would be reaching a half tank and he was looking for a gas station we usually camp for 2 to 3 months at a stretch so like Alaska and New Foundland trips a nice reserve helps you feel better on some days. The only thing I will say on the Ford Turbo is they tow great ran into a Airstream 26 or so length that loved his ran into him in Haines Alaska a few years back and another in Virginia but had the small one and he was very disappointed on his ability with a stick built trailer being underpowered. The repairs in and around 125,000 miles on a Ford turbo engine could be a issue I'm not sure,so  I would read all the ford reviews on line for me to make that type of decision. Best of decisions, good travels,IMG_4353.thumb.jpg.cf12f28d07195385601dd65540cf8457.jpg

be safe. Thanks Gary

• Thanks 1

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Watch out for that "leadfoot grey" - it will play hell with your gas mileage AND get you an up close and personal meeting with the local police!  You'll love those heated seats and the heated steering wheel (note that the control for the heated steering wheel is only on the touch screen) but I'm still thinking about the cooling seats.  There are times when those cooling seats make me remember those bad days as a very young child when I just could not hold it anymore - first you have the warm feeling then followed by that dreaded cool/wet feeling.  Brings back not so great memories!

Enjoy!

Bill

So I went through the process of setting up my Oliver for Fords pro back up system yesterday.  Today I needed to put the trailer back in my shop and together with the back up camera on the Oliver and using the Ford back up system I made a perfect approach on the first try.  Usually I have to make several attempts to get it just the way I want it.

It was a little scary, kind of like an instrument approach in zero zero weather.  There is no ‘seat of the pants’ feeling.

The Ford Pass is really cool.  I can control my truck, check the gas, set the temperature, start the engine, etc. with my cellphone while I’m still in my trailer.  This will come in handy when I’m leaving at o’dark hundred for a photo shoot and it’s freezing outside.

Tomorrow I’m having Line-x in a leadfoot grey color put in the bed.  Next will come a Bakflip MX4 bed cover.  Finally I will beef up the suspension with a Roush leveling kit and Fox shocks fore and aft, custom tuned for the F150.

• Thanks 1