Electrics gone haywire

ccarole

Finally got "unplugged". Today was first day to really test out the solar. Was so impressed!! Then this evening see that the IPN ProRemote backlight is on for some reason although I haven't been touching it.  Check it out and it has crazy various numbers and symbols scrolling.

Symptoms. =

*Dark outside - ProRemote  showing various hieroglyphics. Also charge status light vacillating between acceptance and bulk.

ProWatt SW - light has been on for the last couple of days and it won't turn off when I push the button.

Blue Sky Solar box under seat - No lights when red knob in on position. Also the Progressive Industries box shows no light/numbers.

PROwatt SW box under seat - Does show numbers 130 & 000. I can turn this box off and the prowatt indicator on the wall will also turn off. When I turn the box under seat back on the lights for both come back on. ... but I still cannot turn off the button on the wall.

Bonus question - are my outlets supposed to be able to provide power when I'm not plugged into shore power?  If not, cool - but if they are supposed to maybe this is part of the symptoms.

Any ideas anyone?  I'm on - well was on my way to Quartzite.  Looks like I may be driving out to Tennessee. Again.

Gracias,

Carole and a couple of malinois.

Carole ....and a couple of Malinois

2016 Legacy Elite II #175

2016 Ram 2500 

That is unfortunate, others have reported some issue with the control box and removing the cover, because something was touching.

Somewhere in one of the posts someone posted numbers for BlueSky, inside access type, they are excellent work helping you out and trouble shooting, I tried searching but couldn't find it easily, figured to looking might be faster.

Edit - found the post, it was you, so I guess you already have their number. As for the outlets, they will only provide power of you turn on inverter switch, the furthest forward under the pantry depending on hull number. If it's on, the microwave beeps and is on.

The other option, if your heading that way, whereas you've had issues before too, they are located in California, maybe arrange a visit and have them completely check your system.

Good luck, keep us posted

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

I see you got back to me again already. :-)  Yes maybe a side trip to Blue solar . Ugh, C southern California with a trailer. I/5 in southern 1/2 half of CA is pretty awful as it is . Finding my way into the city just might be the end of my sanity. LOL!

Thanks  Try2Relax,

I have worked with Ryan at Blue Sky previously as I wasn't getting readings on the panel. He is awesome. I sent my box to him to get checked and i also bent the wire connectos to 90 degrees. This did get my panel showing appropriate looking readings..and following that I was plugged in mostly and the couple of times i did unplug it seemed ok but didn't show much in the way of positive numbers.....but lived in dark rainy Oregon. Yesterday was it's first day in the sun and charging numbers looked great -  but the all went kapoot several hours later.

I was thinking since the Prowatt SW is also involved that it might be a bigger systemic problem than just the solar.

Currently driving down CA on I/5. Considered a side trip to Bluesky but if this is a bigger general electrical fry out then I probably should just go to Oliver in TN.

Thank you for answering me, Try2Relax. I will try to call Ryan after holidays - just shared all this extra info here in case it helps describe the situation better.

Kinda stuck on the road. Sold the house! Was planning to dry camp this trip so didn't research plans for plug in sights on my trip. Was going to Quartzite rally and thought maybe i could find someone there to work on it - but it'a dry camp scene so no plug in for me to keep my batteries charged.

Thanks much,

2016 Ram 2500 

• Moderators

Carole - the pantry for the Elite II is located on the street side between the bed area and the dinette.  The battery compartment (only accessible from the exterior) is directly beneath it.  Does this help?

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

ccarole, here's just a random thought, Reed of karen lukens fame is very dissatisfied with his factory installed solar, which is the zamp. That's what they're installing now, a much simpler system,but it works, I believe he's going to quartzite, maybe you two could swap systems and everybody could be happy.

• Thanks 4

STEVEnBETTY

Bill, only things in my pantry is food and this access port - just a jumble of wires in there. Battery compartment - only batteries.

I thought the prowatt is my inverter - which is under seat access in back and turned on.

Steve n Betty, ugh I hope I can fix and not need to replace. I've already given up on Anderson hitch which eventualy went to the dump. I hope to keep this other big ticket item functioning!! :-)

sx42vcox5l8zzk3dt79jouaw0kzs90tr.jpg.f2d160fdae19d7fcbd7ec8295da15c9f.jpg

2016 Ram 2500 

• Moderators

ccarole - sorry, I thought that you simply didn't know where your pantry was.  Yes, "prowatt" is your inverter.  By pressing in (and holding for two to five seconds) the little black button on the panel labeled prowatt you should be able to turn off your inverter.

Note T-Oliver's suggestion above - hope it helps you.

Bill

edit - re your "bonus" question - as long as you have your inverter (prowatt) turned on (and your batteries are OK) you should have power at the 110 outlets in your Oliver.  Obviously, when you turn the inverter off you will no longer have power at your 110 outlets.  When you are plugged into "shore power" there is no need to have your inverter on since the shore power will be providing 110 to these outlets automatically.

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

That's pretty hilarious actually because I haven't been able to turn the extra button on the wall off - turns out I just was not holding down long enough. Thanks!!

On the other hand if this is on, then according to Randys' thoughts my outlets should have power available. They don't.

2016 Ram 2500 

Bill, Yes i saw that! I wanted to get a chance to do that before i replied. Sounds like a solution as the symptoms are the same. Feeling very hopeful about it. :-)

Thanks all for taking the time to help  on this holiday!

Merry Christmas!

• Thanks 1

2016 Ram 2500 

ccarole, in early 2017 oliver switched from the blue sky solar to the zamp, in my opinion it is a comparable system and Reed thought that's what he was getting, he's done quite a bit of complaining about them switching to the zamp ( as far as I know he's the only one). I can only guess that oliver changed from blue sky to zamp for the reason that you are experiencing, it is a much less complex system to deal with.

I have had the zamp system since may, and have had zero issues with it, there is no adjustments with it, it just works. My advice to you would be to contact Reed and see what he says, and I can guess he will tell how much better the blue sky system is but only if you have the patience and knowledge to deal with it.

I have done a lot of research on the two systems, and on the size of the solar systems that we have there's not enough difference between the two to matter, the blue sky might recover a few more "amps" in certain conditions but it is much more complex to deal with, you don't have to do anything with the zamp. Reed has been talking about switching out his zamp to a blue sky system that's why I thought you two might want to talk. Good luck with your problem I'm confident you'll figure it out! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

STEVEnBETTY

It wouldn't be a fair trade, but... :) We are outside of Wickenburg, Az. and heading down towards Tucson, Az later this week sometime. I'm using the 100watt Renogy Solar Suitcase to give me enough Solar to keep me running. If you do go to Blue Sky, then you should ask them about adding another 160watt panel on the roof if you feel that you need more up in Oregon this time of year. We will be at Quartzite also with many friends and as always, the more the Merry Christmas :)

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

It wouldn’t be a fair trade, but… ???? We are outside of Wickenburg, Az. and heading down towards Tucson, Az later this week sometime. I’m using the 100watt Renogy Solar Suitcase to give me enough Solar to keep me running. If you do go to Blue Sky, then you should ask them about adding another 160watt panel on the roof if you feel that you need more up in Oregon this time of year. We will be at Quartzite also with many friends and as always, the more the Merry Christmas ???? Reed

I disagree, if you just swapped controllers and left her monitor and shunt alone that's a pretty fair exchange.

STEVEnBETTY

• Moderator+
...if you just swapped controllers and left her monitor and shunt alone that’s a pretty fair exchange.

Without the IPN-Pro (monitor) and the shunt you can’t set up the controller.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I had two different posting for this content -- I was doing it by my phone and it got a bit tedious.

Got everything worked out now so I can use my computer....... SO much easier!

Hey so all is good now!!  Thank you to everyone who has been so helpful.

1 - My Prowatt GFI needed to be reset at the main box under the seat.....finally figured out there was one there also.

2- Progressive surge protector will only illuminate if trailer is plugged in. I was beginning to suspect this but am not anywhere near plug-in. Jason from Oliver contacted me and confirmed.

3 - Blue Sky - My IPN remote was defective. Ryan at Blue Sky traded it out for me and it's working like a champ now!!! Love solar!!

I hope posting all my naïve errors and the solutions will help someone else down the line.  :-)

Happy travels everyone!

• Thanks 2

2016 Ram 2500 

Carol,

We are so happy that you finally have this resolved and your solar system is working for you.  What a saga!

(We did the factory tour with you on delivery day).

Happy Camping!

George and Gretchen

George and Gretchen

Gig Harbor, Wa.

Hull Number 178

Thanks George and Gretchen. :-)

Sad thing is the monitor actually went bonkers again today!  Yikesolla!  Ryan is sending me a new 2512 and also a new phone cord.   Not sure how I'm going to get the phone cord connected yet - as it is snaked through the wall.  I'll figure it when the time comes.

I'll let the group know how things turn out.

I think this is some sort of personal test for me.  ;-)

2016 Ram 2500 

Carole:  We had a similar problem when trying to heat the trailer with the furnace for the first time.  The cure for us—On the thermostat change the fan setting from “auto” to a manual setting.  With that change the AC stayed off and the furnace fired up.

John Shkor, SailorsAshore