New Oliver Bike Rack Modified to Accept All Bikes Including Fat-Tire Bikes

donthompson

During a visit to the Oliver factory in October, I picked up the new bike rack without the Thule components installed.  I had a local bike shop modify it by welding a new piece of aluminum to the Oliver bike rack frame.  The bike shop ordered components from Thule that are part of the Thule T2 Classic bike rack.  The components that Oliver uses will not accommodate fat-tire bikes.  I plan to carry my Felt D30 fat bike that has 4" wide tires and my Salsa Cutthroat that has 2 1/4" tires so I needed something different from the rack Oliver offers.  This modified rack will handle these bikes and even a skinny-tire road bike if I decide to travel with one in the future.

The modification was pretty simple.  The bike shop sent the Oliver frame to a welder who works with aluminum.  He welded a new member in the middle of the rack as shown in the first photo.  The Thule components are mounted on that new member.  I've included photos I took when I picked up the completed rack at the bike shop showing how it looks like with a bike mounted.  I've also included photos of the Thule T2 Classic bike rack that the components are from.

I'm looking forward to traveling to the rally with my fat bike.  The temperature will hit 14 to 15 below zero tonight here in Iowa.  I rode my fat bike a couple of days ago after we received 4-5" of snow.  It was about 13 degrees.  The weather in Alabama will be much better!

IMG_2628.thumb.jpg.68a50dd2c0070d2e27b33e5585b134a2.jpg

IMG_2630.thumb.jpg.164b658c0a04bccc0c17b34fe7008a61.jpg

IMG_2631.thumb.jpg.5882c5b3574dbe8b31278a930ba4464e.jpg

IMG_2633.thumb.jpg.fac00ef12b50509a32b8113bdc4aee9c.jpg

IMG_2634.thumb.jpg.1fe1aeb7c73098d5f7757a60684be2ac.jpg

• Thanks 1

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

Nice, do you mind sharing the cost of the welding work?

I don’t carry bikes, but I can easily imagine a cargo shelf on top of those rails....

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I have a question for people who have the new Oliver rack.  Have you found a locking bolt or another form of lock to secure the bike rack frame to the Oliver?

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

• Moderator+

Just drill the 1/2” hole out to 5/8” and put a regular hitch pin lock in it.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Don, How does that rack attach to the trailer? I think you changed what you originally had, and that wasn't very stable. We are considering getting some bikes, but that rack is kind of pricey.

Are you going any where this winter? We have a trip planned to Florida towards the end of January.

Stay warm and Happy New Year.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

Stan, the aluminum base is from the new Oliver rack. There are a number of posts about this new rack with photos. There are two channels bolted to the top of the surface behind the bumper on the Oliver and the new rack slides into these channels and is secured by bolts. Very stable and secure. I don’t know what Oliver will charge for the new rack without the Thule components, but I paid $300 for the Thule components and $100 for the welding, etc. Not an inexpensives solution, but a good one.

No travel plans until I leave for the Oliver Rally. I decided to enjoy winter in Iowa this year! I’m doing a lot of cycling in the snow and cold on my fat tire bike and I really enjoy hanging out in Iowa City in the winter. After the rally, I plan to go to Chattanooga, Ashviile, and maybe Greensboro (friends to visit there). I’m researching good places to cycle and to hear music. Will probably be on the road for 30-45 days.

Haven’t decided what to do this fall. Tentative plan is to arrive in th bigh country of Colorado in late August and spend September and maybe most of October in Colorado and Utah—more time in Utah than Colorado.

Hope we can cross paths. Are you plannng to attend the rally?

Don

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States Visited Map

If you don't have a rack yet, you might also consider the 1-up roof mount rack.  They're top of the line racks and will fit the Oliver rack without any modification apart from drilling the holes to secure it.  Just order the flush mount kit and it should work fine.  Their racks run $189 each, so for two they're comparable to the Thule.  They sell a fat bike conversion spacer for $34, and since they're two separate racks, you can space them apart however far you want.

• Thanks 1

We don't even have the Oliver rack, back in 2014 when we ordered our Oliver, I asked about a bike rack and their reply was, there is none and we don't plan to have one. So I guess all the requests by buyers had a effect on their change of attitude. Guess I need some good close up pictures to get one made.

Stan

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63