Generators

Fisher2

Also, sloshing liquid can close the safety valve so that the bottle will not accept gas at a refill station. This has happened to me - I carried two bottles on their sides and only one could be filled., After driving around a while with the bottles upright, the second one would accept gas.

I hate propane - it is not as user friendly as it is advertised to be. It blows up cars and RVs too, every now and then. ... https://jalopnik.com/sometimes-cars-do-explode-like-in-the-movies-1821915406

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Or you can turn the tank upside down and smack the top into the ground to get a stuck float valve working again, usually.

• Thanks 1

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• 3 weeks later...
As to power loss at elevation, per Gary, using the standard design parameters of an estimated 1% loss of output per 1000 feet in elevation rise, a 2000 should provide 1750 watts all day long with ample reserve for high amp draws during motor starts.

Thanks for the update and additional info.  Regarding the above, is that saying that on propane it will provide 1750 watts at altitude (what altitude)?  Or is that 1750 at sea level and then subtract 1% per 1000 feet?  To my understanding running on propane generates less power than on gasoline.

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

Just throwing it out there, but everybody knows that  20 + 30 lb. propane bottles fit snugly into a 'milk' crate? We use the milk crate when we transport tanks to be filled. Keeps them from rolling around in the truck. Also a couple of bungees keep the crate from sliding around. The crate gives the bungee something easy to hook to. I guess a bonus, we never thought about, it keeps the tank upright. Two other customers, also waiting to get tanks filled, said what a great idea to use the crate. I thought everyone knew about them...

• Thanks 4

it has always been a rule of thumb that any gasoline/LP powered engine losses approx 1% per 1000′ ASL, unless turbo charged

Are you sure about that?  I've always seen it being 3% per 1000 feet.  Anyway like I said in the A/C thread calculations don't deliver the mail.  I hope the 2000i works out for you.

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just a thought too keep in the back of your head, the little 2000's are particular to being level, so if it faults off, check this first, it seems the oil system is pretty flat and doesn't see any if too far off. Just my experiences

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Just a thought too keep in the back of your head, the little 2000’s are particular to being level, so if it faults off, check this first, it seems the oil system is pretty flat and doesn’t see any if too far off. Just my experiences

Or just add a touch more oil to it and don't worry about it, that's what I've done. Just tilt it a bit, top it off, and no worries.

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious about converting to high altitude on the Honda generators.  If a particular trip is  going to reach various altitudes (to include high altitude) do we simply do the conversion right up front or do we convert only when needed?  If the latter, how easy is it to do the conversion in the field?

New to this game as our Ollie will be an early 2019.

Thanks,

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• 2 weeks later...

Does the new Honda EU2200I have an internal fuel filter?

Thanks

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Sorry for a follow-up question.

The only difference in size between the EU200I and the EU2200I is the that new one is an inch or so longer.

So, assuming that the Honda EU2000i is purged of all fuel, will it fit into the basement storage area at back of the Elite II?

Thanks

• Thanks 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• 2 months later...

If you are interested about my experience with generators, propane, elevation and Micro Air, read under the topic "Micro Air" I just posted.

• Thanks 1

Malcolm and Ursula M.

2017 Legacy Elite II Hull # 204 "Olivia"

2016 Ram 2500HD Diesel 4x4

Hello Mark and Joni! I certainly remember that day in Hohenwald. Glad to hear you two will be getting some great use out of that new Oliver. I agree that our use for a generator to fire up our A/C (or other needs) will be very infrequent, especially in the Rocky Mountain states in our solar ready Ollie. I find that always carrying the Yamaha in the bed of our Ram is like comfort food. Takes up very little room and is a slap in the face to Murphy's Law.:) Elevation almost always provides cooler temps in summer travels and it seems we are always heading west. Flathead Lake next month in Montana for example. Hope to run into you two somewhere out there. No doubt I will recognize that beautiful TV monster you drive.

• Thanks 1

Malcolm and Ursula M.

2017 Legacy Elite II Hull # 204 "Olivia"

2016 Ram 2500HD Diesel 4x4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator+
Hi!!

My name is Nick.

I think this post will be interesting for you about campers http://whatmycarworth.com/using-kelley-blue-book-rv-to-find-the-value-of-a-camper

Nick, thanks for the very informative post, but if you read really close, you’ll notice this thread is about generators.

• Thanks 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 1 month later...
I always remember this graphic picture of what a propane tank can do. I suspect the tank was not carried vertically.

Noting like a picture to make it stick in your head. Be safe. -Randy

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0610/man-injured-as-propane-tank-explodes.html

That is actually good to note, ironically, for no particular reason, I've always carried it in the right rear corner, directly over the exhaust pipe, I think I'll be switching it to the left side.

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

“Mr. Hill, a good wash and a little rubbing compound, most of that damage will buff right out....”

Seriously, a milk crate works great for transport, a wire steel one especially, the bottle squeezes in tightly, but you still should either wedge the bottle in place with other gear or tie it off securely when the bottle is full (and the center of gravity is much higher). The amount of energy stored in 5 gallons of compressed flammible gas is staggering.

Why are we talkng about this in a generator thread?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

My buddy recently got his two 20 lb propane tanks filled. The attendant re-installed them on his trailer's tongue and off he went. Some time later he took an off ramp and as he stopped, heard a scraping sound.

The two tanks had fallen off their bracket and were dragging along on the road held only by the hose!!!!!!!!!!! Both tanks, connected by the regulator and short pigtails, were draggging along, at the end of the main hose, about five feet back under the trailer. YIKES!!!!

Of course, they were dented and all scraped up, but no leaks had started. And the hoses put up with all of that too. The fire department came and got them out from under the trailer for him. Sheesh, what a scare. A spectacular fire was only seconds away.

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

Just bought a Honda 2200i generator inverter. Been told with the Micro-Easy Start this will power up and run the Elite Legacy II AC system. My question (and I realize I am showing my ignorance), will the other appliances, water heater, and lights run too while the AC is being powered by the Honda generator? Maybe the other stuff runs on batteries and gas while the generator runs the AC?

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

• Moderators

Good questions. I’m sure some of our technically gifted owners will weigh in... from a technically non-gifted owner here’s how I think about it. If you’re not hooked to shore power many features of your trailer are powered. TV, Furrion, water pump, cell/WiFi booster, lights. Those all run on 12V. The fridge can run off anything, propane, 110V or 12V - you can decide. The water heater can be either 110V or propane (if you have the tank). The microwave is 110V as is anything that plugs into a 110V outlet. So, if you’re on a generator, all your 12V stuff works off batteries. Your AC is on the generator. If you have the hot water tank it could run off the generator or off propane if you choose. Anything you plug into at 110V outlet will run off your generator. Hope this makes sense! Mike

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Mike is correct but remember that either the 2000i or the 2200i will only run the AC alone. The Micro-Air soft start only reduces the heavy load at startup. The running amps will still remain the same. My AC unit draws 14 amps running which includes around 2 amps for the fan. So either of the small generators will be nearly maxed out running the AC. When running the AC with a small generator, make sure any/all other 110 volt items are off.

• Thanks 3

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

Excellent response regarding running AC with small generator - thank you.

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

• Moderators

So, has anyone here successfully run a 13000 btu ac with easy start on a Yamaha 2000i?

Asking because my sister spent last week boondocking with us in the mountains. They have a new 2000i (Costco, $499). It would start the ac, but tripped out in a minute or so.

Installing the easy start is almost the price of a second Yamaha 2000i. They come with cable kit...

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

Her Yamaha 2000i is a 2000 watt PEAK generator, it only outputs 1600 running watts. It may start her AC but lacks sufficient power to keep it running. (1600 watts = 13.333 amps). Don't know which AC unit we're talking about here but it could be drawing as much as 18 amps, therefore the shutdown.

As Ken noted above, the easy start only reduces the start up load, the running load remains the same. Her only answer is more output wattage IE another or a larger generator.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg