Rear power jacks don’t work

Corcomi

This morning as was getting the Ollie ready to travel, i started to raise the back power jacks and they started up and then slowly stopped. I had to crank them manually to be able to leave the house. I thought maybe the cold weather had something to do with it but I am now in 50:degrees weather and still won’t work. Had to crank them down to be able to park the rig. Any suggestions what’s causing this?

The "slowly stopped" may be a clue that might be worth investigating.   Both rear exhibit same symptoms?  Not operating both at same time?  Battery charged?

I'd pull the cushions driver side behind the axles and measure voltages at the fuse terminals for the jacks under no load, then when someone energizes the jacks.  Sounds like a low voltage issue that may be battery, connections from battery to the jack fuse terminals, etc.  Hopefully you have a volt meter.

Brad

• Thanks 1

Brad, Thanks for your response

Yes both rear power jacks are not working and

Battery charged and I am also on electric

What I cant find is where the jack fuses terminal for the jacks are.  Both jacks on the top of the jack says 30 amps but I don't see where they are

• Moderator+

In the newer trailers such as yours, I believe the jack fuses are mounted under the street side bed.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

The fuses are in the yellow inline fuse holders.  I'd  check voltages at the terminals under the shield.  If it's affecting both jacks, I'd assume it not the fuses unless both blew.  Also, if its a connection problem, I'd think it would affect the front jack too.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Brad

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Before you tear up the bed, try rocking the switch several times each way.  Quick, quick, slow, slow... Think two step.. with an added slow.☺️

Sometimes, sitting for awhile, you'll get some corrosion or dirt in the switch itself. Especially if you are storing outside.

Sometimes, rocking back and forth several times is all it takes, at least in our older trailer.

If that fails, tear up the bed and check the fuses. If they're fine,bits a trace for a bad ground, or loose connection.

Most of the time for us, the problem has been a dirty or dead switch.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+

I've blown several jack fuses in cold weather by not being patient enough.  I always place an eleven inch block under each rear jack. That serves three purposes: (1) if you drive off forgetting to raise the jacks, it will not bend the jack, (2) in an emergency or if the jack will not come up you can drive off the block without damaging the jack and (3) you don't need a lot of jack travel to stabilize/raise the trailer.

• Thanks 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I've only had intermittent problem with the front jack, but when I plug the trailer into the truck, the power has returned to the jack. My thinking is that they have a low voltage cut out or limiter built in that could be lowered a lot more by the company. Try hooking up and plugging in the 7 pin to your TV just for future reference to see if it works. There are some bad ground issues also with some trailers, Oliver never got back with me on where exactly our main cable enters under the bathroom vanity, but the ground wire that I added to the frame has cleared up our charging problems.

I would also run a voltage check from the jack fuses to the jack and then up to the switches at the front of the trailer. I had power to the jack, but then it died inside, which is where the limiter idea comes in. My SeeLevel read 12.1 when the front jack wouldn't work and I'm still waiting for the next time for the next set of tests...

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Well the good news to all who helped me thru this ordeal... the problem was two blown fuses that where bradbev had taken the pictures. Bought a six pack just in case in the future, replaced the bad ones and we are good to go. I'm going with the premise that been in subfreezing temperatures for about a w their equipment and what is installed in aeek and as was trying to raise them the fuses couldn't handle the strain.

The bad news is that as I have complaint to Oliver when I took delivery in Nov 2017, they didn't provide me with any of the manuals or instructions on the different equipment because they said that they don't do that as its all online at the Oliver University  page on their website. Not true as this situation shows. They only have the front jack but there is nothing on the two back ones. So if I had not had the help of my fellow bloggers here, I would have been out of luck until Monday when I would have had to call the factory for help. The other issue I also have is that manufactures are constantly updating their equipment and what is installed in newer models doesn't jive with whats online.  I guess that's my rant for today. Thanks for all who responded.

• Moderator+

Glad you got your problem solved.  Usually someone here on the forum has either experienced a given problem or knows the solution to said problem.

As you have discovered, in cold weather when moving the jacks up or down, if they begin to slow or sound sluggish let off the switch to keep from blowing the fuses.  Replacing these fuses with the Slow-Blow MDL type will lessen these headaches.

The bad news is that as I have complaint to Oliver when I took delivery in Nov 2017, they didn’t provide me with any of the manuals or instructions on the different equipment because they said that they don’t do that as its all online at the Oliver University page on their website. Not true as this situation shows. They only have the front jack but there is nothing on the two back ones. So if I had not had the help of my fellow bloggers here, I would have been out of luck until Monday when I would have had to call the factory for help. The other issue I also have is that manufactures are constantly updating their equipment and what is installed in newer models doesn’t jive with whats online.

I agree this is disappointing and not ideal.  How long has it been since they've switched from Fiamma awnings, for example?

If only there was an OTT wiki that we could edit....

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

The bad news is that as I have complaint to Oliver when I took delivery in Nov 2017, they didn’t provide me with any of the manuals or instructions on the different equipment because they said that they don’t do that as its all online at the Oliver University page on their website. Not true as this situation shows.. Thanks for all who responded.

You need to have the 2016 owners manual also, that's what makes it complete... At least for me anyway. There's links to both online manuals in .pdf format on our Oliver Owners Face Book page. Both the front and rear jacks are the same. The only difference in the front is they put the plastic head cover over it that holds the light and the switch being that it's completely outside. Once you pull that off, it's the same as the rear jacks. Hey! A couple fuses was it! you're lucky :) My intermittent problem will be fixed some day... Lol. Here's the jack pages for future reference.

IMG_20180108_034140.thumb.jpg.75efb9dad0f251bcf800f1b740e00b47.jpg

IMG_20180108_034238.thumb.jpg.f410cb5d7ee42c01a4119d60f96de259.jpg

IMG_20180108_034347.thumb.jpg.48923523fb77ce32284b0f24cad8df08.jpg

IMG_20180108_034430.thumb.jpg.3d1db0e73e8f4338f9ca7fcacc2848e8.jpg

I do agree with the 2017 manual being incomplete, but I won't go on about Oliver's corner cutting for increased profit margins on the 2017's here, these files are from the 2016 manual. They have the same interior design but the head cover of the front jack has been changed since then and needs to be pulled for access.

Reed

• Thanks 2

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

@Corcomi,

Sorry you had this trouble but bringing it to the attention of this forum is so beneficial to others like myself.  Glad you got it fixed. We pick up our new Hull #309 on March 6. So much to learn before then.

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

@corcomi, Sorry you had this trouble but bringing it to the attention of this forum is so beneficial to others like myself. Glad you got it fixed. We pick up our new Hull #309 on March 6. So much to learn before.

Congrats to OTT for successfully gearing up and growing with a quality product. We picked up hull #211 in April of 2017. Looks like they are on target to produce over 100 units in a year. Not bad, considering that it took almost 10 years to produce #200? Guess it helps explain some "growing pains" issues that we all might have had. At least it seems that the company is prepared to, eventually, take care of any issues...

Yes, these are the correct fuses.  The fuses that Oliver installed in our trailer was junk and were blown when we picked up the trailer.  After purchasing and installing quality fuses like the Bussmann, we have had no additional problems.  These are hard fuses to find in local hardware or electronic stores.

• Thanks 3

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

@Maverick, Thank you. Ordered. Now I have a complete set of every kind of fuse imaginable for any situation. I hope. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the help I get on this forum. Perhaps one day I will be able to add something useful besides questions.

travelmap2023.jpg

• Moderators

From my standpoint I believe that situations like this are one of if not the most important benefits of this Forum.

Many people have said that our camping trailers are essentially a house on wheels.  I agree, but, I didn't receive an owner's manual with any of the houses that I've bought over the years.  And, I certainly don't expect to find all the answers to all possible questions in virtually any manual.  Being of a certain age, I find it comforting and perhaps easier to have a "real" piece of paper in my hands where I can make notes, dog ear pages of interest and easily flip to where I think I'd like to be next.  I also happen to like the portability and compactness of electronic media.  But, I also know that I have a bunch of people here on the Forum that are more than willing to help, when and if I ever need it.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

The fuses that Oliver installed in our trailer was junk and were blown when we picked up the trailer. After purchasing and installing quality fuses like the Bussmann, we have had no additional problems. These are hard fuses to find in local hardware or electronic stores.

This is interesting because I've had two fuses blown, a breaker tripped, and a fried control board on my fridge that possibly occurred while at the factory.  So I don't think it's the quality of the fuses, though of course that's possible.  Instead, I'm suspicious that the circuits they use at the factory for plugging in the trailers aren't well isolated from spikes and other fluctuations that might come from the factory itself.  This is just speculation of course, and maybe someone at Oliver can comment - but in hindsight, I do wish that I'd bought the built in surge protector rather than the portable one, just so I know that the trailer is protected when in service.  I'm going to ask from now on when I go in to service that they use the surge protector, but since there's no guarantee that will always happen, I've begun to consider just calling it a loss and a lesson learned on the portable surge protector and shelling out for the built in one for this one and only reason.

• Moderator+

Those will work well.

in hindsight, I do wish that I’d bought the built in surge protector rather than the portable one, just so I know that the trailer is protected when in service. I’m going to ask from now on when I go in to service that they use the surge protector, but since there’s no guarantee that will always happen, I’ve begun to consider just calling it a loss and a lesson learned on the portable surge protector and shelling out for the built in one for this one and only reason.

I guess this is one benefit of the built-in surge suppressor being standard equipment on the 2018's.

• Thanks 1

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

I remember wading through all the options when ordering Twist and thinking about all of the electronic gear - particularly the solar.  I looked at the external surge protectors primarily because they are a bunch cheaper.  But, then I thought about those rainy nights after a long day of travel when, knowing me, I would either not remember or simply chose to take the chance and not use that external job.  That is when I decided that camping should be relaxing and fun without having to worry about anything more than necessary.  So, it was the built in on board surge protector for me and I'm really glad that I made that choice.  Yes, expensive, but not near as expensive as the cost of all that unprotected stuff because I was too lazy or dumb or ? to use the portable job.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Buyer beware

I ordered the Bussman fuses (as noted by Maverick) above from Amazon.  Unfortunately, today I received the order and there was only one fuse in a plastic bag even though Amazon shows that there are five fuses in a regular Bussman fuse box.  Apparently I am not the only person that this has happened to, so, I asked for a refund.  Not only did Amazon refund my money for this order, but, they told me to not send the fuse back - just keep it.

But, after thinking about this for a couple of minutes, I decided that I really needed more than one fuse and certainly I should have received five fuses on that first order.  So, I called Amazon - actually their website had me fill in my phone number and they called me.  After a brief discussion, the assistant on the phone agreed that they should have sent five fuses and not just the one.  He asked me to order again and waived the overnight shipping charges.  He also said that if I only received one on this order I should simply ask for a refund on it just as I did on the first order.

I'll post back here with the results!

Bill

• Thanks 1