Day One: A Successful 4-Season Test

ShallowGal

It sure looks beautiful :) You will really enjoy having the 4 season ability. Be sure to leave the water heater on at night when the temps are low :)

• Thanks 2

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Be sure to leave the water heater on at night when the temps are low

Have you discovered that leaving the water heater on is sufficient to keep the plumbing from freezing or is it necessary to open one or more of the hatches inside (under the bed(s) or dinette) while running the furnace?

--Jeff

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

Be sure to leave the water heater on at night when the temps are low

Have you discovered that leaving the water heater on is sufficient to keep the plumbing from freezing or is it necessary to open one or more of the hatches inside (under the bed(s) or dinette) while running the furnace? –Jeff

We bought the Truma for its Winter Mode and haven't had a problem down to 12°f so far over night.

• Thanks 2

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

Have you discovered that leaving the water heater on is sufficient to keep the plumbing from freezing or is it necessary to open one or more of the hatches inside (under the bed(s) or dinette) while running the furnace? –Jeff

We’ve found having the hot water tank on and the furnace going was enough to keep things ok while temps are in the 20s. I remember the week we were at Fort Huachuca last January when you saw our trailer, the temperatures were in the 20s for a several nights and we were fine. Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I have personally spoken with the Truma factory about winter camping and was told that as long as the water heater is on with propane running, it is protected from freezing down to -4F.

I was also told that for winterizing (having the propane off in freezing temps) if the tank is drained and you remove the water cartridge that it is protected from damage. This method can also be used if you are planning on towing through freezing temps since your propane should be off while towing.

-Angela

• Thanks 2

2017 Legacy Elite II Standard

2006 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel 4WD

• Moderator+
...This method can also be used if you are planning on towing through freezing temps since your propane should be off while towing. -Angela

Actually this is a matter of personal choice. In ten years of towing two different Oliver’s over 70,000 miles, our propane has never been off while under tow. Each owner needs to make their own decision as to which is best for them.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Actually this is a matter of personal choice. In ten years of towing two different Oliver’s over 70,000 miles, our propane has never been off while under tow. Each owner needs to make their own decision as to which is best for them.

You are absolutely correct that it is a personal decision. I was restating what the Truma rep said to me.

-Angela

2017 Legacy Elite II Standard

2006 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel 4WD

• 2 years later...
On 1/20/2018 at 6:59 AM, KarenLukens said:

We bought the Truma for its Winter Mode and haven't had a problem down to 12°f so far over night.

By Winter Mode, are you referring to the optional AquaGo Antifreeze kit?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Susan Huff said:

By Winter Mode, are you referring to the optional AquaGo Antifreeze kit?

Reed and Karen haven’t been on the forum for a while.  I’d send them a PM, they always share information and are quite knowledgeable. Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Leaving a hatch open is useful when it's really cold, or even putting a smaller heater in the basement (that's what we did with single digit/teens in South Dakota with 40+ MPH added windchill.  The truma needs to be on to prevent the truma itself from freezing, either in ECO, Comfort, or electric defrost mode when equipped with the electric defrost element (have to buy this extra).  

I know a few folks, I think Reed included, have the comfort plus model.  Most olivers just have the comfort model.  The "plus" adds recirculating water throughout the whole trailer - which means hot water is flowing through all the hot water lines all the time.  If the install ran the hot water next to or even better in the same insulated wrap, that would protect the hot and cold water lines from freezing.

If my Truma ever kicks the bucket, I'll go with a comfort+ for replacement with the above mentioned insulated wraps.  I'd also look at isolating valves or maybe even just forgoing the outside shower.  As a stop gap, I was thinking of insulating the runs as is, and adding a bleed valve/return from the bathroom shower to fresh water tank - which would help the fresh water tank stay warm too.

Between Olivers…

I wish the Oliver came with the Truma Comfort Plus.  We have one in our motor home and use the comfort mode nearly always.  Now I'm torn between the standard WH and the Truma option.  It's been a long time since we've had the tank water heater.  What I remember most is we generally only turn on the WH when needed, so there is a wait with the tank heater.  Also the anode needs to be replaced periodically.  The new Truma with the inside controls has a decalcification mode.  

Would appreciate opinions on the pros and cons of each; why did you choose one or the other; would you choose differently?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

We have the Comfort, still love it, but wish it were the comfort plus for the $3 of extra tubing it would have taken to install it with some extra insulation.  Less wasted water waiting for it to warm at the tap.  We pull over, stop for lunch, and have warm water for washing hands instantly.  Check the tires and get grim on the hands? Warm water is great. Pull into campsite, setup, want a shower? go ahead.  Just finished two weeks of boondocking and land at a place with full hookups and want a long shower for both, back to back? unlimited hot water.

We just did a descale, worked fine with the indoor controls.  Wouldn't go the other way - but do wish we had the plus.

Edited by WhatDa
  • Like 1

Between Olivers…