Anyone use a tongue dolly/ Trailer Valet or similar device?

I have no problems backing into my RV bay using the truck but sometimes I just want to shift Mouse a little without hitching up and losing all the relatively warm air into the winter outside.  The floor is smooth and level concrete.

I kinda like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSN2EWD/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_3_w

But it is really bulky and would take up a lot of storage space when not in use, and how hard is it to push a 6000 lb tandem by hand anyway...?

The Trailer Valet is way more expensive but it looks as if it would work great, even with the nearly 24 inch ball height of an Ollie.

https://www.trailervalet.com

Max load rating is less but it is obviously a well built tool and i could use my 20 volt driver to crank it. Plus it has a geared crank system the applies a brake when you release the handle, which the other one does not have.

I don't want to blow out my back or get hurt, or damage the trailer..... Any user comments or suggestions? Pictures are always welcome.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

There is always this option:

264c0e22e0fe4504f94aac35c12a8378--off-ro

LOL, I need a new floor jack anyway, mine is getting tired.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

We use a parkit 360. Don't know if they make one big enough for the larger trailer.

We used to use an ez tug. It was attached to the frame, not the tongue.

The parkit 360 is much more powerful, and much more clunky to use. Attaching/ seating it to the trailer tongue is a pain and a halfm. I'm not a fan, however, it's way, way better than gathering four friends and neighbors to move the little trailer.

We also have a manual tow dolly. It works well in a few tight corners.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

It doesn't take much on concrete, you can roll it by hand or a 2x4 for a fulcrum. Pull off the plate and...

https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturing-28276-CURT-Caster/dp/B0050NGB6O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1516584317&sr=8-5&keywords=Rv+tongue+wheel

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

I purchased the Trailer Valet XL, my driveway is asphalt, with a slight angle, 2-3°, shipping was free, return shipping was not, I drove 300 miles round-trip to return it the day after I received it. Perfectly flat, smooth concrete might work for you, but any resistance and, with the bulldog coupler, it just wanted to roll itself out from under the ball. I will never look at anything with balanced pivot point again. You LOL'd that floor jack, but it looks like it would actually work perfectly

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

I purchased the Trailer Valet XL, my driveway is asphalt, with a slight angle, 2-3°, shipping was free, return shipping was not, I drove 300 miles round-trip to return it the day after I received it. Perfectly flat, smooth concrete might work for you, but any resistance and, with the bulldog coupler, it just wanted to roll itself out from under the ball. I will never look at anything with balanced pivot point again. You LOL’d that floor jack, but it looks like it would actually work perfectly

Would your Trailer Valet have been secure with the optional jack brace? I looked closely at Mouse and there is a good probability that the brace bracket would fit. The frame interferes partially, so that there is not much of the main tube projecting.

Did you use their coupler plate between ball and Bulldog?

The videos emphasize that you must really crank down on the locking collar.

I am curious about why it did not stay put. One would expect them to warn of this if any particular type of coupler were unsafe. I am glad you were not hurt, but can you please elaborate?

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I want to know which one of you is going to get this puppy working on an Ollie – Truma Mover XT4

That is so cool, but what planet is the inventor from if he thinks it would work as shown in the video? It fails in so many ways....

For maneuvering up an alley, maybe it would work if there was no mud on the tires and you didn’t tear the tongue jack clean off the frame, or deplete the batteries. What is the duty cycle on the motors? I smell burning insulation. Those kiddies playing around the trailer would be road kill in real life.

The four actuators hang down, with a minimum road clearance of about 4 inches, and two are located behind the rear wheels. That will work wonderfully off pavement....

https://www.truma.com/web/downloadcenter/files/truma-mover-xt4-installation-operating-de-en-fr-it-nl-dk-se.pdf

What a hoot. I think it’s all an elaboate prank. All the people in the brochure are so happy that they no longer need to back their RV, so they go dancing and sailing instead, in their Truma Lifestyle Clothing .

https://www.truma.com/web/downloadcenter/files/truma-manoeuvring-systems-brochure-en.pdf

LOL indeed.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Would your Trailer Valet have been secure with the optional jack brace? I looked closely at Mouse and there is a good probability that the brace bracket would fit. The frame interferes partially, so that there is not much of the main tube projecting. Did you use their coupler plate between ball and Bulldog? The videos emphasize that you must really crank down on the locking collar. I am curious about why it did not stay put. One would expect them to warn of this if any particular type of coupler were unsafe. I am glad you were not hurt, but can you please elaborate? Thanks. John Davies Spokane WA

Jack brace - maybe, I did not try it so I would need to research it

Coupler plate - yup used that

Tight lock collar - yup, I was afraid they wouldn't accept the return because of how much it was damaged from being so tight

It was purchased as a convenience, because my driveway is a difficult maneuvere, but after that initial experience I was unwilling to attempt anything else with it.

There are plenty of airstream owners that use it and like, I haven't had anything other than the Oliver so I don't know what the differences are in other couplers and why they might be better. It could have just been my inexperience that caused my excessive concern, so you might be fine with it, just be thorough in your research first, etrailer says it works with a bulldog.

The same day I returned it I ordered the front hitch for the truck and haven't regretted it since, although that wouldn't work in your garage either.

Randy

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

John,

Here is an updated review, with video, from an Airstreamer, within the last few days. While my experience has definitely soured me to the product, yours may be totally different.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/review-of-the-trailer-valet-xl-176428.html

Randy

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator+

Very nice, I feel like the 5500 pound model would not be quite heavy enough. At only $4100 I believe we’ll go with the 9000 pound one.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Very nice, I feel like the 5500 pound model would not be quite heavy enough. At only $4100 I believe we’ll go with the 9000 pound one.

I don't know about the "at only", but I've wanted a remote controlled tank ever since I was a kid, and this does seem like a fine excuse to get one.

• Thanks 1

I went to their Facebook page. I did ask them about the "no-load" speed of the 9000 pound unit, and whether it was suitable for chasing small children.

I like the concept a lot, but I wonder how long the rubber treads will last, doing those donuts with a 600+ pound load, and how much is a replacement battery pack. Currently there are no manuals available to study.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• 1 year later...

Hello All,

I wanted to revisit this topic and see if anyone is moving their Oliver with something other than their TV?

We are scheduled to take delivery of our Elite II 27Jun19, and plan to store Ollie at home. To do so, we will need to move Ollie about 50' without being hooked up to our TV. Thankfully, this distance is on concrete with only a slight rain slope. I spoke with Trailer Valet regarding their XL product and they stated it is not compatible with the bulldog coupler on the Oliver. They do make a  XL Mount Bracket that I was hoping would be the solution to this issue, but there really is no place on the Oliver frame to attach this bracket. So, I believe Travel Valet XL is out. I didn't ask about the Trailer Valet RVR. Super cool and super pricey :)

I have been looking at the ParkIt360 10K and the TRAX TX6000. Both are similarly priced, certainly more than I wanted to spend. But, if it gets the job done and allows us to keep Ollie at home, I will be happy. I did confirm with TRAX that the bulldog coupler is one of the better fitting hitch connectors for the TX6000. If anyone has any experience/thoughts on these products (positive or negative) or any other product that will move an Oliver, please let me know.

https://traxpowerdolly.com/products-mb/tx6000-mb

https://parkit360.ca/products/trailer-mover-10000lbs-capacity-base

On a side note, we are very excited for our Oliver...counting down the days! This past weekend, my wife and I went on our last planned tent camping trip prior to picking up our Oliver. Lake James State Park in NC was beautiful, had a great time paddleboarding and relaxing.

Kim and Travis, Charlotte NC

2019 Legacy Elite II, Twin Bed

2018 LR Discovery 

Ill also confirm the trailer valet is junk. It always kicks out from the coupler no matter how tight the collar is the emergency hand brake engages when you don’t want it to and on a slight incline you have to be hulk hogan to wrestle with it,  that’s what happens when you try to go cheep.  John DYI on you tube has some good self made movers out of a atv winch. Or check parkit 360

• Thanks 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

I can't comment on the valet, but it would be something I would not be interested in. If moving my trailer was a problem and I needed something to help move it into a tight spot I would go with a front 2" receiver on my tow vehicle, or other vehicle, I put one on my Jeep Wrangler, you can park your trailer on a dime and at $150/$200 for a receiver hitch it's a bargain.

trainman

• Like 2

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

Thank you for the replies. I wish a front receiver would work for me, but it is the overall length of the trailer attached to a TV, that is driving me to look for an alternate solution. With the layout of our home, unfortunately a front receiver still won't help. I have read a few review of the parkit 360 on airforums and they sound promising. Haven't been able to find many customer reviews of the Trax.

2018 LR Discovery 

I had a base model Parkit360 that I’d bought off of Craig’s list for part of a season. It wouldn’t handle the 3500 lb trailer I had at the time. Since I knew we were getting an Elite II soon, I put it back on Craig’s list and sold it again. No way it would have handled the 5000 lb + of the new trailer.   It was far from the effortless hookup and moving around they show on the videos. Now I have a front mounted hitch and all is well and for far less money too.

HTH, Ken

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

Thank you for the replies. I wish a front receiver would work for me, but it is the overall length of the trailer attached to a TV, that is driving me to look for an alternate solution. With the layout of our home, unfortunately a front receiver still won’t help.

Have you considered a heavy duty ATV with a 2” receiver? That would be crazy maneuverable since the wheelbase is only 4 feet. I wouldn’t even think about anything with a belt drive though, look for something like a Honda Rincon with a stout automotive type transmission.

You could get a ten year old one from a private seller for maybe $3000. Here is one from a dealer. .... https://www.atvtrader.com/listing/2007-Honda-FourTrax®-Rincon™-5006888401

Please post a picture of your driveway or goat trail or whatever you are going to push your new Ollie along. The waiting is hard, isn’t it?

Yes, it can be done... 

John Davies

Spokane WA

I have and use the travel valet (5000 lb).  By the way the smaller one will not work on the Ollie because it needs to be used from the side.  I store my Oliver in a warehouse and there is not enough room to back it in with my vehicle.  I bought it on eBay for $100 less than a used one (with the same new product warranty).  It is easy to use and I cannot imagine being able to back it in and out of the space without it.  Hated to spend $750 but allows me to handle camper easily by myself.

• Thanks 1

Hello,

cmdmom2 - It looks like the Trailer Valet 5k version mounts on the side similar to the XL Mounting bracket for the XL version. If you have a picture or could describe how you attached this to the Oliver, that would be great. I discussed the XL bracket with Jason Essary at Oliver and we didn't think their was room to attach the bracket would attach. It sounds like you found room?  Trailer Valet told me one of the main reasons they came out with the bracket was to solve contact issues with the bulldog/other couplers...

https://trailervalet.com/shop/xl-mount-bracket/

Thank you Ken for the note on the parkit 360, certainly helpful! We are getting an Elite II as well, so the bigger one would be mandatory.

Thank you John. My mind had not gotten to an ATV, truthfully it would have taken me a while to get there :). From that video, crazy maneuverable looks right, very cool. Storage/maintenance are my first thoughts but I will certainly look into it. I am out traveling for work, but hopefully I have attached a photo of the front of our house from a few weeks ago. My goal, and hope is to be able to back the Oliver up the driveway. Then use a valet/dolly/ATV to pull it into the camperport, and then push it out when we are leaving. My brother and I are a bit further along with construction than this picture shows, standing seam metal roof is going on Saturday. Thank you all for your comments on this subject. As you can see, construction is well underway, so I need to make it work. We just got our hull number today...485...sounds great!

Thank you,

Travis

Driveway1.thumb.jpg.76ee258b0db57fe88b14ba96c4bb409c.jpg

• Thanks 1

2018 LR Discovery